Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Fill in the blank: I’ve seen more _________ yard signs in my NoVa neighborhood.
Obama 18 35.29%
Romney 33 64.71%
Voters: 51. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2012, 03:13 PM

14,129 posts, read 31,268,360 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by springfieldva View Post
There are still plenty of signs up - both Obama and Romney.

I agree that it's past time to have taken them down....
Remember how long it took for the Kerry/Edwards stickers to come off all the Subarus.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2012, 03:41 PM

17,404 posts, read 16,560,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
Remember how long it took for the Kerry/Edwards stickers to come off all the Subarus.
The bumper stickers stay on baby .

Old 11-10-2012, 03:46 PM

18,717 posts, read 31,100,432 times
I don't mind stickers on cars, but signs I hate. Before an election I can live with 'em--once the election is over my tolerance for 'em is over too. I'm the same way with yard sale signs that never get taken down, even though the yard sale was weeks before. And don't even get me started on signs for real estate. There's a new set of condos near me and the sale signs have been sprouting up and down the median and all over the common areas. Hate 'em.

Old 11-10-2012, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
I don't mind stickers on cars, but signs I hate. Before an election I can live with 'em--once the election is over my tolerance for 'em is over too. I'm the same way with yard sale signs that never get taken down, even though the yard sale was weeks before. And don't even get me started on signs for real estate. There's a new set of condos near me and the sale signs have been sprouting up and down the median and all over the common areas. Hate 'em.
We buy junk cars.

Weight loss guaranteed.

Old 11-11-2012, 02:55 PM

1,403 posts, read 2,151,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
Whatever the reason, I'm glad to see them gone. I really dislike political signs (can you tell? ) If the only reason to give them out and put them up is to "reward" the workers, I hope they switch to a better reward. Starbucks certificates cost about the same, why not hand those out?
They are not really rewards. They are, for lack of a better term, for "team-building."

I do know that many campaigns now expressly state "Please remove them after the election."

Last edited by IndiaLimaDelta; 11-11-2012 at 03:20 PM..

Old 11-11-2012, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Why was that a surprise? The Democrats had much of that back in 2008 and refined it some over the intervening four years. I remember seeing very targeted computer generated canvassing lists back then. A smart political operative on the other side should have recognized that.
If only it were that easy. 2008 was, with some justification, viewed as an exception where there was a confluence of positive conditions for Obama (severe Bush-fatigue, suddent drop in the economy, an opponent strongly disliked by the base of the opposing team, novelty of the first non-white, or more accurately, part non-white, candidate and so on).

2012 was very different in conditions. It is a tribute to the superb political skill of the Obama campaign that it eked out a victory despite losing 9 million voters.
Quote:
That shouldn't have been a surprise when nearly all the political activity was focused on a small number of battleground states. I haven't looked at the numbers but I suspect the voter turnout numbers on both sides were comparable to 2008 in these states while most of the falloff occurred in states where little if any effort was expended by either side.
Nope. Even factoring in the drop in places like NY and NJ, Obama lost millions of voters including in the battleground states. The surprise, really, was that it was a low turnout election. Romney needed a lot of middle to lower-middle class white voters to turn out in places like Ohio and Florida and they stayed home. I suspect that Romney's "plutocratic" background (during a huge recession!) and Obama campaign's portrayal of him as a heartless "vulture" capitalist out murdering workers' wives played a strong role in depressing the downscale white vote for Romney among other things.

Old 11-11-2012, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndiaLimaDelta View Post
Nope. Even factoring in the drop in places like NY and NJ, Obama lost millions of voters including in the battleground states. The surprise, really, was that it was a low turnout election. Romney needed a lot of middle to lower-middle class white voters to turn out in places like Ohio and Florida and they stayed home. I suspect that Romney's "plutocratic" background (during a huge recession!) and Obama campaign's portrayal of him as a heartless "vulture" capitalist out murdering workers' wives played a strong role in depressing the downscale white vote for Romney among other things.
It was comparable to previous second term elections with turnout slightly higher than 1996 or 2004. Sounds like you're trying to make a case for the Repubs going further right as a path to victory. Go for it.

Old 11-11-2012, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Sounds like you're trying to make a case for the Repubs going further right as a path to victory. Go for it.
I like having two opposing parties, not two leftist parties.

Also, I don't have a short memory, I remember rather well the "sky is falling" consternation among the left in the aftermath of the 2004 election when both the left and the right crowed (or cried) about the "permanent" conservative realignment of the electorate.

Last, as I mentioned repeatedly, I am for expanding the center-right coalition, not shrinking it. Contrary to some purists and sellouts, I don't think that requires sacrificing principles. Politics is often a business of feelings and tones, not principles and substance. As such "personal likability" is huge and recruiting attractive (in more ways than one) candidates is half the game. I'll take the Rubios, Jindals and even Cruzes over Bidens, Clintons (i.e. Hillary) and even O'Malley's anyday.

Old 11-11-2012, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndiaLimaDelta View Post
Last, as I mentioned repeatedly, I am for expanding the center-right coalition, not shrinking it. Contrary to some purists and sellouts, I don't think that requires sacrificing principles. Politics is often a business of feelings and tones, not principles and substance. As such "personal likability" is huge and recruiting attractive (in more ways than one) candidates is half the game. I'll take the Rubios, Jindals and even Cruzes over Bidens, Clintons (i.e. Hillary) and even O'Malley's anyday.
You overestimate the gullibility of the electorate. They know a right wing wolf in sheep's clothing.

Old 11-11-2012, 07:07 PM

Quote:
You overestimate the gullibility of the electorate. They know a right wing wolf in sheep's clothing.
I don't think the electorate is "gullible." It's more that politics is about more than policy positions and pocket books. It's a very atavistic business about one's view of self, community and country at large.

Democrats generally tend to do better than Republicans in this regard (although "liberals" tend to do worse than "conservatives"). If you lay down party agendas of Ds and Rs without the labels, Rs tend to do very well in a survey, confirming tha the country is still fairly center-right. Attach the party labels and the numbers change. Rs often have a toxic image and there is a variety of reasons for that, much of it having to do with tone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia