Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2012, 11:44 AM

53 posts, read 81,554 times

Advertisements

So my husband had taken our dog to the South Run dog park last night. Another dog bit him in the face, after which my husband got the name and number the the dog's owner. The guy did not leave after this incident. I ended up taking my dog to the vet and paid almost $200. I am wondering if it would be worth it to take him to civil court over this, because after I mentioned I think he is responsible for the vet bill, he stopped talking to me.

Has anyone else been in a situation like this and what did you do?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2012, 11:48 AM

12,906 posts, read 15,691,881 times
No, I would never go after another dog owner for a dog bite. Dogs bite, and they often bite each other. That's what they do.

I think the only way you stand a chance of getting anything out of this is if you can prove the other owner was negligent with his dog. For instance, if you were in a neighborhood walking your dog on a leash and the other owner let his dog run without a leash and had no control and the unleashed dog attacked your dog. Then you have a case.

You were in a dog park where, I assume, going off leash is expected?? Dogs are animals--they are not 10 year old children--where you can predict their social behavior 100%.

Old 08-25-2012, 11:53 AM

8,650 posts, read 9,164,677 times
Call the dog police. Captain Rover will do do diligence.
Can you imagine if lawsuits prevailed at dog parks because of dog bites? Many would never visit a dog park.

Old 08-25-2012, 01:54 PM

87 posts, read 338,366 times
While you can try to take him to court, it happened in a dog park. Do you have witnesses besides your husband the other dog owner? You will need them to prove your dog did not provoke the other dog or start the fight.

Dog parks can be dangerous and too many owners fail to maintain their dogs. We rarely visit them now due to this, and if we do, it is never on a weekend or a beautiful evening.

The correct answer is to call animal control after the bite while at the park, especially if you were worried about costs and the other dogs shots/etc. While I've never had to do it, when I used to go we did threaten several people with what we deemed 'aggressive' dogs to leave or we would call. I think it's a personal preference to call, as I almost always won't, unless something is extremely bad.

Old 08-25-2012, 02:01 PM

1,534 posts, read 3,729,926 times
I would have your husband contact the other as a follow-up. The dog park rules state that handlers are responsible for the behavior of their dogs. Have your husband share the rules with the dog owner and see where that goes. I am guessing the dog owner would be good about it - especially when the alternative is small claims court.

Old 08-25-2012, 02:12 PM

1,644 posts, read 2,177,583 times
Jesus.........

Get over it....it's a dog bite. Dogs bite...if youre worried about it keep your dog at home.

Old 08-25-2012, 02:47 PM

5,759 posts, read 10,742,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnewberry22 View Post
Jesus.........

Get over it....it's a dog bite. Dogs bite...if youre worried about it keep your dog at home.
Wrong. Most dogs do not bite. We've taken our dog to the dog park many times. Do the dogs sometimes growl or wrestle some? Sure. But actually bite? I have yet to see that. To say "dogs bite" is so simplistic as to be wrong; they bite when threatened or provoked, or when someone they love is threatened.

If another dog bit our dog in the face, I'm afraid of what my reaction would be. It would not be good for the aggressor dog or its owner.

Old 08-25-2012, 06:40 PM

460 posts, read 1,019,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlingtonian View Post
Wrong. Most dogs do not bite. We've taken our dog to the dog park many times. Do the dogs sometimes growl or wrestle some? Sure. But actually bite? I have yet to see that. To say "dogs bite" is so simplistic as to be wrong; they bite when threatened or provoked, or when someone they love is threatened.

If another dog bit our dog in the face, I'm afraid of what my reaction would be. It would not be good for the aggressor dog or its owner.
Not necessarily true either. Dogs play bite all the time... Not all dogs.. But dogs in general. My two play bite all the time and wrestle around...

Is there a chance that this circumstance was they were playing and there was an accident? Yeah sure? Did one dog walk by and surprise the other one and it's instinct was a bite? Possibly... Or is the one dog just aggressive and just went after the other... Also a possibility. But as far as going to court... As others mentioned.. It really wouldn't be worth It... And doubtfully unless you can prove negligence and extreme aggressive behavior, that you would be able to get anything.
Best bet, also which others have said, is to try and follow up with the owner, see if they are willing to pay for all, or if not all, some of the vet bills. You can see the response...and go from there.

Good luck! Glad your dog is okay after all is said and done.

Old 08-25-2012, 06:57 PM

14,129 posts, read 31,303,379 times
Female dogs will often be very agressive with borhersome males. A male U.S. Park Police German Shephard who was off his leash made the mistake of trying to play with my two females Springers at Fort Hunt Park one day and barely escaped back to his handler in one piece.

Old 08-25-2012, 07:07 PM

513 posts, read 963,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlingtonian View Post

If you let your dog "wrestle" with another strange do then there is a good chance someone will get bitten. Let me guess you would go Dirty Harry on the dog owner. So dont let you dog interact with other dogs in the dog park is that is your mentality.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
View detailed profiles of: