Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-06-2010, 07:04 AM

1 posts, read 7,755 times

Advertisements

We (family of 5) will be visiting NOVA the last week of March. We're staying with friends near Fredericksburg and plan to go into DC for several days during the week. We do not want to mess with driving/parking in the District (and we'd like to show the kids the benefits of using public transportation, which we don't have where we live). We have a good handle on how to get where we want to go within the city, but we can't quite figure out where and what time we should catch the metro. We'd prefer to go after rush hour to avoid the crowds (and taking up seats that people who are going to work need) but we also don't want to find all of the parking lots full. The metro website warns that most lots are full by 8:00 a.m. and gives a list of places where they are not, but I think all of the places listed are in Maryland, so not very helpful . . . .

So -- is there anyplace we can reliably get a parking place at, say, 9:00 or 10:00 a.m.? Also are there any safety concerns if we plan to return at night?

Thank you so much!!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2010, 07:30 AM

2,136 posts, read 5,310,264 times
Metro stations have reserved parking spaces for people who pay a monthly fee. These spaces open up to anyone after 10:00 a.m. Waiting until then is probably your best bet at most Metro stations.

Old 03-06-2010, 10:19 AM

1,848 posts, read 3,726,088 times
the only station that might have parking and is right on your way up is Franconia Springfield Station. If it doens't have any, you can park over at Springfield mall and walk over. Another option is to park at Pentagon city Mall and go thru the mall to the metro station.

Old 03-06-2010, 11:52 AM

10,914 posts, read 31,392,886 times
For park and ride information in Springfield, look to the county's park and ride information. You need to park on a specific level in the Springfield Mall garage to be legal when using it for the Metro, IIRC.

Park and Ride Facilities*- Fairfax County, Virginia

That's a busy commercial area in Springfield, so I would not worry about your return trip, provided it's not when the mall is closed as the garage can be desolate. Sometimes the garages do feel isolated and there has been an issue with car break-ins over the years in Springfield, so I would not leave anything of value in sight, lock the doors, etc., but since you are a group, you would not have any problem. A single female late at night, returning to an isolated parking garage, might give one pause, but you should be just fine.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 03-06-2010, 12:06 PM

15,430 posts, read 25,804,859 times
Don't forget Huntington if Franconia-Springfield is full.

Old 03-06-2010, 12:21 PM

4,489 posts, read 10,944,195 times
There's parking at the underground in Crystal City as well. If you're coming home after 5pm (might be four), it's free. The garage entrance is on 23rd street between Route 1 and Crystal Drive.

I'm honestly not sure what it looks like at 10am, but whenever we're meeting friends in the district after work or on weekends, we park there for free.

Old 03-06-2010, 07:54 PM

3,550 posts, read 6,489,067 times
just remember of your'e gonna park at springfield mall parking garage you have to be careful and be really aware of your surroundings, springfield mall is a real ghetto now and you will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy. You must be cautious.

Old 03-06-2010, 08:46 PM

8,826 posts, read 15,316,001 times
We went to the DC auto show in January and parked at the Springfield/Franconia station around 10am and there was plenty of parking available on the upper level.

Springfield Mall isn't a nice mall anymore, but it isn't even close to being as yamota describes. I wouldn't be afraid to park there and walk to the metro, but I think you should be able to get a spot at the station.

Old 03-06-2010, 09:05 PM

1,183 posts, read 2,889,833 times
I've never had trouble finding parking at Springfield/Franconia. And I take the Metro into D.C. at least couple of times a month after I get the kids to school. Once you go into the parking garage, just keep going up...there are always spaces at the top.

Fares drop after 9:30am (correct me if I'm wrong...I think it's 9:30) so shoot to get to the metro after 9:30. You'll pay less in fares and won't have to deal with the crowds.

Twenty years ago, Springfield was a great place to shop. Now, it's pretty awful. I've never unsafe there during the day, but I wouldn't want to walk around at the mall or at the metro center by myself at night.

Old 03-07-2010, 08:06 AM

1,848 posts, read 3,726,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgbwc View Post
We went to the DC auto show in January and parked at the Springfield/Franconia station around 10am and there was plenty of parking available on the upper level.

Springfield Mall isn't a nice mall anymore, but it isn't even close to being as yamota describes. I wouldn't be afraid to park there and walk to the metro, but I think you should be able to get a spot at the station.
I agree..the mall sucks, but the people that stream from the metro to parking on that end of the mall are mostly businessmen and women and military, I've seen some serious looking marines making the trek, nothing to be afraid of in that group!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia