Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2009, 04:48 PM

20 posts, read 76,521 times

Advertisements

Does anybody know about about the Metro West project by Pulte homes? I've heard a lot of buzz. I know it's on the land formerly known as "Fairlee" just south of the Vienna Metro station. I've driven by several times in the last 12 months but it's just a sign and a vacant lot. No activity. The website is even worse - the most recent information is from years ago.

I plan to move to Northern Virginia fairly soon - probably in Summer 2010 - and the location seems great. I work right off the Orange line. And the website sounds fantastic - lots of shops, grocery store, walkable neighborhood, parks. Is this ever going to happen? Or should I just look elsewhere?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2009, 05:22 PM

12,022 posts, read 11,562,088 times
Pulte has applied for a change to the Metrowest master plan to reduce residential mix by 700,000 sf. It would be replaced by offices.

Old 11-08-2009, 09:22 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,579,178 times
So let me get this straight. Now I have to figure out the difference between not only Fair Lakes, Fair Oaks, Fairfax City, Fairfax County, Fairfax Station, and Fairfax Corner but also "Fairlee?" Apparently creativity wasn't a requirement when naming local communities. I think "Reston" is the only one that gets that nod since it was named for the initials of its founder, Robert E. Simon + "ton." Is there a Fair Lawn too that I don't yet know about? What about "Fairview" of Desperate Housewives' fame?

Old 11-09-2009, 06:09 AM

2,136 posts, read 5,308,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScranBarre View Post
So let me get this straight. Now I have to figure out the difference between not only Fair Lakes, Fair Oaks, Fairfax City, Fairfax County, Fairfax Station, and Fairfax Corner but also "Fairlee?" Apparently creativity wasn't a requirement when naming local communities. I think "Reston" is the only one that gets that nod since it was named for the initials of its founder, Robert E. Simon + "ton." Is there a Fair Lawn too that I don't yet know about? What about "Fairview" of Desperate Housewives' fame?
See, we do have history in this area. If you owned 5,282,000 acres of Northern Virginia, you get stuff named after you.

Old 11-09-2009, 06:48 AM

10,915 posts, read 31,385,275 times
There are several Fairviews in the area. Fairview Park off Route 50, a neighborhood in the City of Fairfax, and the ES in Fairfax Station come to mind immediately.

And, remember, the City of Fairfax grew out of the settlement at Fairfax Courthouse, growing to become incorporated in 1961. Fair Lakes, Fairfax Corner, and Fair Oaks are all place names given to developments to differentiate areas west of the city line between Fairfax and Chantilly/Centreville. They're not actual town names that people use, nor is Fairlee, where the Metro West project is to be located. Plus, I doubt Fairlee will be pseudo-upscale enough to distinguish it from the adjacent Fairfax Circle area when the project takes shape.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 11-09-2009, 07:31 AM

12,022 posts, read 11,562,088 times
FairLee is derived from Fairfax and Lee Highway (Rt 29), the road which borders the neighborhood on the South.

Old 11-10-2009, 07:51 AM

20 posts, read 76,521 times
Anyway it doesn't matter because Fairlee is nothing but an open pit at this point. They razed all the houses and the new development is going to be called MetroWest. If they ever build it.

Old 11-27-2010, 05:16 PM

2 posts, read 12,018 times
Well, 1 year later, it looks like they will "break ground" mid 2011.

Old 06-13-2011, 11:36 AM

200 posts, read 560,552 times
13 years later...

They started selling now and I believe they are getting overwhelming amount of interests! Well, it's tough to find a place that is walkable to the metro station that is a mixed-developement community and have good school.

Old 06-13-2011, 01:38 PM

3,718 posts, read 5,693,762 times
So has construction started? I haven't been out that way in a couple of years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia