Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2012, 07:17 PM

177 posts, read 367,109 times

Advertisements

I currently live and teach in Loudoun County, and even though I knew the DC area was pricey from having lived on the MD side years ago, I got a bit of sticker shock when I moved to Loudoun last year. Now that it looks like I may be staying longterm I am beginning to look more seriously about trying to find something other than renting. Have already discovered (and knew before being hired here) Loudoun was expensive; I know if I want to eventually buy a townhouse or something it would have to be out toward eastern WV, Frederick MD, etc. If possible I'd like to stay in VA but I don't want to live in Winchester, so that's not an option.

That being said, I'd like info on decent, safe places in Fairfax and PW that would be a decent commute distance to the Leesburg/Chantilly area as I have a split job currently between 2 middle schools this year. Ideally I don't want to pay more than 200K for something, and having already looked online for a while I know that's tough to find for a decent, safe, townhouse or condo - unless a short sale, etc. If anyone can give info about which areas to really consider looking in that aren't unsafe, too crowded, etc. that would be helpful - especially like in Manassas, because I've seen some places online that would be in my price range - but of course things online can be misleading. What is the Apache Ridge Court area in Manassas like?

Thanks for all info and suggestions here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2012, 12:46 AM

OK - since it seems nobody will reply to this thread, please let me know how it can be deleted thanks.

Old 08-26-2012, 02:02 AM

7,670 posts, read 14,290,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by profesora View Post
OK - since it seems nobody will reply to this thread, please let me know how it can be deleted thanks.

Sheesh. Be patient. You just posted at 917 on a Saturday night. People do have lives. As far as your questions it's going to be tough to fins something at that price in NOVA. I'd avoid Apache Ridge. That area itself is okay but your next door to Coverstone IV apartments which has been a pain in the you know what for years with drugs etc. Your commute to Chantilly will be tough from Manassas but plenty of people do it everyday. If at all possible I'd look in Centreville.

Old 08-26-2012, 05:36 AM

162 posts, read 360,197 times
Sorry to hear your situation. I was a Loudoun County teacher and lived out in Winchester. It was always brought up as an issue that such a high percentage of teachers can't afford to live in Loudoun County (except those who have been around for years and made their purchase back in the day). If you want to be a teacher in NOVA, I think you just need to accept you will always be on the poor side. Either that or you will need to marry someone with a much better salary.

Old 08-26-2012, 05:44 AM

12,906 posts, read 15,709,240 times
There are probably areas in PW County where you could come close to your budget with a condo. Some of those areas that I am thinking of are a) WAY to far from Loudoun or b) not in an area that you would ever want to live.

You might take a look in the Gainesville/Bristow area. I think both are very nice areas that you would feel safe in and there is still some affordable housing left there. I know that some friends of mine recently sold their 1700 square foot single family home (on a very small lot) for about $248,000 so, surely, a townhome would be cheaper than that and a condo even better.

It won't be a very close drive but I don't think it would be a killer commute either. The Chantilly area is probably better commute-wise but when you start talking FFX county there goes the prices!!

Old 08-26-2012, 05:53 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,157,884 times
Harpers Ferry or Charles Town might work for you and would be closer than Winchester. West of Purcellville you might find something in Loudoun. PW county is a possibility, although that would be a long drive. Gainesville is another thought, although I'm not sure what prices are like there. I doubt you'd find anything in Fairfax.

Old 08-26-2012, 07:07 AM

722 posts, read 1,928,459 times
I see a couple townhomes/condos in Bristow for sale for around $200,000. I would note that the subdivision they are in has a high HOA fee (it includes a lot of great ammenities, and in my opinion, is worth it--but might not be if you are on a super strict budget).

Maybe after you find a home, you could see about applying for more local teaching jobs for later years?

Old 08-26-2012, 07:25 AM

1,304 posts, read 2,435,213 times
It's not what you want to hear, but 200K is not going to get you much of anything in Northern Virginia and I think you should just continue renting in a nice place closer to your job. You throw just as much money away owning and townhouses in Manassas will never be as desirable as SFHs because land is plentiful (unlike say arl/alex/DC).

If you HAVE to buy make sure you are looking at older townhomes in Manassas because most of the newer ones are "condo style" THs with $250 a month HOA fees.

Old 08-26-2012, 09:10 AM

Thanks for the replies - they are pretty much in line with what I was already seeing/realizing about prices around here. Guess I was/am used to things being a bit less expensive in eastern VA.

Yes, I know Loudoun is basically unaffordable for teachers for buying something. Am going later today to check out a couple places out toward Harpers Ferry/Charles Town that are in good condition and my price range so will see... Have seen a 215K townhouse here in Leesburg last Sunday but even though it's ok it's small and needs some work which I expected; neighborhood is near the outlet mall so not necessarily my preference. Will probably continue looking ad waiting to see how things go this year... thanks for the info.

Old 08-26-2012, 01:27 PM

989 posts, read 2,862,249 times
Doesn't Loudoun County have a housing program for teachers and firefighters? They're called affordable dwelling units and are available at a discount. I don't know the specifics or requirements for the program, though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia