Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2010, 06:52 PM

7,670 posts, read 14,275,580 times

Advertisements

I make no bones about it that the illegal immigration issue needs more attention but I also don't profess to have all the answers. That said. I went into the Manassas Mall tonight to allow our niece buy something for her Mom. I have not been in this mall in many many months. I was shocked/amazed at the total number of Hispanics in the mall. No doubt many were legal citizens and they were not the issue. But the number of non English speaking people there was astounding. How do I know these non English are not here legally? Experience. Intuition. Whatever you want to call it I know I'm right. This is the main reason, but not the only reason, I can't wait to bail out of Manassas.
When I was a police officer I dealt with many illegal immigrants and I'd always ask, through an interpreter, how long they've been in the US. I was constantly hearing anywhere from a couple to anywhere up to twelve years. When asked why they won't learn English they often said they didn't plan on staying in the US.
I don't want to see a round up and everyone sent back but I'm damn tired of all the problems associated with the illegals.

Ok. Rant over.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2010, 08:00 PM

15,161 posts, read 27,880,396 times
Well, I guess point would be better taken in the politics thread (I don't get into that) I want to deal with NoVa issues - bottom line: the country needs to make English the national language I think. Most malls, stores, etc. have had to bend over backwards to accommodate less they face discrimination charges. Pretty sad IMO.

Old 05-07-2010, 08:31 PM

10,914 posts, read 31,456,592 times
Please remember to keep the topic local, and discuss local issues in Manassas, not national/international political/economic/social reasons as to why a particular situation has occurred. Thank you.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 05-07-2010, 11:14 PM

131 posts, read 426,779 times
don't know exactly what your line of work was but seems kinda inappropriate to be asking "why they won't learn English"

Old 05-07-2010, 11:52 PM

26,701 posts, read 41,830,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigfoot424 View Post
I make no bones about it that the illegal immigration issue needs more attention but I also don't profess to have all the answers. That said. I went into the Manassas Mall tonight to allow our niece buy something for her Mom. I have not been in this mall in many many months. I was shocked/amazed at the total number of Hispanics in the mall. No doubt many were legal citizens and they were not the issue. But the number of non English speaking people there was astounding. How do I know these non English are not here legally? Experience. Intuition. Whatever you want to call it I know I'm right. This is the main reason, but not the only reason, I can't wait to bail out of Manassas.
When I was a police officer I dealt with many illegal immigrants and I'd always ask, through an interpreter, how long they've been in the US. I was constantly hearing anywhere from a couple to anywhere up to twelve years. When asked why they won't learn English they often said they didn't plan on staying in the US.
I don't want to see a round up and everyone sent back but I'm damn tired of all the problems associated with the illegals.

Ok. Rant over.
I defintely don't blame you on how you feel. One thing I'll give Manassas and PW County in general is that they aren't sitting back and not caring like inner-beltway jurisdictions.

My best friend in NoVA is a hispanic who lives in Manassas and he has to help his parents when they go to pay bills because they are not good at English. I realize most hispanics in NoVA don't have time to learn English b/c they are busy trying to keep food on the table but they don't realize the problems they are creating for others by not learning English.

As a former bank teller who used to work on Rt. 1, I can vouch there are plenty of LEGAL hispanics who can't speak English. So it may not be a good indicator of legal status.

I don't know what the answers are to this either but I'm sure one of them is to make English the official language. After that, I'm pretty clueless.

Old 05-07-2010, 11:53 PM

26,701 posts, read 41,830,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by qwertman View Post
don't know exactly what your line of work was but seems kinda inappropriate to be asking "why they won't learn English"
He said he was a former cop in the OP. I would think in that occupation the English barrier would be critical.

Old 05-08-2010, 02:31 AM

7,670 posts, read 14,275,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by qwertman View Post

I believe it was very appropriate. I was always very respectful to them when dealing with them as I knew many were here to beter themselves and help their families back home. I would always follow it up with if they would learn the English language it would make life much earlier for them while in the uS.

Old 05-08-2010, 06:53 AM

429 posts, read 955,671 times
Bigfoot4242, I'm curious to know if Manassas Mall has been abandoned by everyone who isn't Hispanic? That would be a shame. I use to love that Mall.

Old 05-08-2010, 08:54 AM

3,550 posts, read 6,501,230 times
Well, I wouldn't be walking in there with an "Arizona Rocks!: T-shirt anytime soon if I were you

Old 05-08-2010, 09:47 AM

5,667 posts, read 5,102,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazed&Confused View Post
Bigfoot4242, I'm curious to know if Manassas Mall has been abandoned by everyone who isn't Hispanic? That would be a shame. I use to love that Mall.
Pretty much. I've gone there rarely to visit Macy's or Sears for tools, but that's about it, due mostly to the reasons cited in the OP. The trip to Fair Oaks is worth the drive.

ICE needs to set up a kiosk/field office there. Just for informational purposes, of course, with lots of posters and bright signs. A few officers walking around in blue ICE windbreakers, carrying cameras and clipboards would do wonders to clear out the miscreants and make the mall a bit more respectable!

Quote:
Originally Posted by yamota View Post
Well, I wouldn't be walking in there with an "Arizona Rocks!: T-shirt anytime soon if I were you
Now that's an idea! Next time I do have to go there...

All in all, life in PWC has gotten better since they've taken a stance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
View detailed profiles of: