Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2010, 10:06 AM

429 posts, read 957,343 times

Advertisements

I hate to hear that Manassas residents would rather go to Fair Oaks but they do have more specialty shops. I plan to use Manassas Mall for whatever needs they can accomodate, however. For a day of browsing and lunch I'll probably go to Fair Oaks or Tysons because that's what we've always done. I am just so excited to be coming home to Manassas that not much can dampen my spirit right now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2010, 12:04 PM

380 posts, read 1,066,082 times
you can get in and out of macy's quickly, or sears, but the mall gets an F. It's too small for a police sub-station; but they need one. It's close to Stonewall Jackson HS, and if you drive by there at lunch time on a school day; you will see why the mall sucks.

Old 05-08-2010, 12:10 PM

Is is not safe and how? To me, a large Hispanic presence in itself isn't a problem. Are we talking thuggery, brazen disrespect and confrontations or what?

Old 05-08-2010, 02:48 PM

7,670 posts, read 14,313,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazed&Confused View Post
Bigfoot4242, I'm curious to know if Manassas Mall has been abandoned by everyone who isn't Hispanic? That would be a shame. I use to love that Mall.

Like I said. I haven't been in the mall forever as I hate malls. But Manassas Mall looks to be dying although a Super Wal Mart just opened there. It looks to be at least 60-70 percent Hispanic. As far as safety I don't believe that has changed much over the years. Back in the 70's and thru the 90's it was punk whites and blacks that made going there impossible on weekend nights. From what I saw when I was still a police officer it's a good mixture of punks there to include Hispanics on weekend nights. When my kids were teens I would not let them hang out there on weekends. Any other time I really don't believe it's unsafe.

Old 05-08-2010, 03:07 PM

That's good to know, Bigfoot. What is the community thinking about your Super Walmart? Here in the South, they're everywhere. I'd never seen one until I moved here and it was a pretty big deal to me four years ago but now they've taken over and all our grocery stores are gone. I really hate them now because I feel like I'm being forced to choose between the Walmart brands or the most expensive name brands of everything. That's Walmart's way of making sure people buy their brands.

Old 05-08-2010, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokemaster View Post
you can get in and out of macy's quickly, or sears, but the mall gets an F. It's too small for a police sub-station; but they need one. It's close to Stonewall Jackson HS, and if you drive by there at lunch time on a school day; you will see why the mall sucks.
Interesting. The school sucks or the mall sucks because the kids go there from the school for lunch? I didn't realize they were allowed to leave the school grounds!

Old 05-08-2010, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazed&Confused View Post
That's good to know, Bigfoot. What is the community thinking about your Super Walmart? Here in the South, they're everywhere. I'd never seen one until I moved here and it was a pretty big deal to me four years ago but now they've taken over and all our grocery stores are gone. I really hate them now because I feel like I'm being forced to choose between the Walmart brands or the most expensive name brands of everything. That's Walmart's way of making sure people buy their brands.
I don't really care for Walmarts and have rarely visited them. Not sure how this one is doing. I don't see WalMart running out all of the grocery stores in this area. The few times I've tried grocery shopping at Super Wal Marts while on vacations I found them lacking in many things and had lousy fruit and meats.

Old 05-09-2010, 03:19 PM

84 posts, read 276,654 times
Like most other posters, I don't go there, either. The shops are pretty craptastic.

I just want to remind people that just because you hear Spanish-speakers speaking Spanish to other Spanish-speakers, it doesn't mean that they don't speak English. I lived in a Japan for quite a while and got very comfortable speaking/reading/writing the Japanese language. In daily transactions with Japanese people, or social events that were mixed Japanese/foreign, I spoke Japanese. However, when I was hanging out with my native English-speaking friends, we still spoke English. It was our native language!

Old 05-09-2010, 04:40 PM

4,036 posts, read 9,277,113 times
So basically not enough white people shop at Manassas Mall. Got it. Who cares if they're not speaking English at the mall? Is it that offensive to the ears?

With that said I will go ahead and admit that I get really annoyed when I go to a fast food place and have to repeat myself a million times because I can't understand the employee or they can't understand me. Not a big issue down home in Georgia but here HUGE. Chic-Fil-a though is pretty good about having those who have mastered English at the front counter.

I don't know doesn't Prince William have like some of the toughest anti-illegal laws in the country? I mean it is very possible to be a US citizen and not speak English. I've met plenty of folks who speak other languages at home or with family who said that their first language wasn't English despite being born in the US or on US army bases.

Old 05-09-2010, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrence81 View Post
So basically not enough white people shop at Manassas Mall. Got it. Who cares if they're not speaking English at the mall? Is it that offensive to the ears?

With that said I will go ahead and admit that I get really annoyed when I go to a fast food place and have to repeat myself a million times because I can't understand the employee or they can't understand me. Not a big issue down home in Georgia but here HUGE. Chic-Fil-a though is pretty good about having those who have mastered English at the front counter.

I don't know doesn't Prince William have like some of the toughest anti-illegal laws in the country? I mean it is very possible to be a US citizen and not speak English. I've met plenty of folks who speak other languages at home or with family who said that their first language wasn't English despite being born in the US or on US army bases.

Yes and no. PWC does have a decent law but it has not and will never get rid of the illegals. There are no roundups, at least not in the sense one may think. The roundups could come for gang members or drug dealers, many who may be illegals.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
View detailed profiles of: