Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2012, 09:14 PM

16,259 posts, read 43,245,669 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklynborndad View Post
I would think low property values are a GOOD thing Others can answer better as to crime, etc. My sense is that the biggest neg to Manassas, depending on where you work, is the commute. They do have VRE as an option though.

Welcome to the neighborhood Though I'm not sure what you mean by mixed developments. The older houses turned into businesses on Columbia Pike (and a few other places)?, cause mostly the residences and the commerce are seperate - though there are apt complexes right on LRT, in between the shopping centers, which may seem different from other parts of the region. And there ARE some hidden away residential pockets.

At first I thought you mean Arlandria (which is on the point of gentrification moving north from Del Ray) Sounds to me like you were near Landmark though, or Culmore if you were near Annandale. I would have to look up the store you mention.

Anyway, good luck!
I think it might actually be ARLANDRIA! I couldn't recall the name of that area. But King Street was near there, and George Mason, if I recall correctly. Lots of high-rises. Granted, not the most ideal. But certainly seemed acceptable in that the location was between it all, with DC not far off. Maybe it was closer to Falls Church than Annandale though. Speaking of Arlandria, not really a metro near there, right? That seemed to be the case anyways.

ANNANDALE. Yeah, not really mixed developments, but only in comparison to the further out suburbs, which had no residential and business anywhere remotely near each other. As I was coming in closer towards DC, it was just a pleasant sight to see it converging a bit more than 'out there'.

MANASSAS. I agree about the lower housing values being a GREAT thing! Something affordable! If it wasn't that way, I'd write it off due to distance. Looks like it's about one hour on the VRE. Which seems like it might be maximum threshold I'd want to endure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2012, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEB77 View Post
Tiger Beer has mentioned that he has a young child (a son, I believe). He may just be more open to a variety of schools than others who post on the boards.

My bet is that McLean is both too suburban and too expensive for Tiger Beer. There are also lots of Asians and mixed couples where one of the partners are Asians, but it doesn't have an "Asian presence" like Annandale (apart, perhaps, from having several Japanese restaurants). If he's looking for a place closer to DC than Manassas with a down-to-earth vibe, he might want to look at the Pimmit Hills section of Falls Church near Tysons.

Not sure on this either; there are now several strip malls like this with primarily Ethiopian stores in NoVa. I think one is in Lincolnia near Landmark (Fairfax County with an Alexandria mailing address) and another is on S. George Mason near Skyline (again Fairfax County, I think, but with either a Falls Church or Alexandria mailing address). These would both be fairly close to Annandale. And there might be more in Arlandria.
Yes, I do have a son. Yeah, I am more open to a variety of schools than others who post on the boards, within reason anyways. I'm personally under the impression that Prince William County schools only look bad in comparison to Fairfax County schools, not that PW is necessarily all that bad compared to most other counties across the nation.

So true about preferring the Manassas 'down-to-earth' vibe over the McLean 'displays of wealth'. Also, Pimmit Hills is an area that has come across my radar screen before, and I didn't make it to that specific spot this time, but based on other previous research, and based on liking Annandale because of the Korean businesses and such, I'd probably like Pimmit Hills as well.

Ethopian businesses, must be the S. George Mason near Skyline (what is Skyline? - First I've heard that reference). I probably made a mistake thinking it was near Annandale, as I did get turned around a bit. Must have been near Falls Church. 'Arlandria' sounds about right.

Old 08-28-2012, 09:27 PM

5,125 posts, read 10,101,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
I think it might actually be ARLANDRIA! I couldn't recall the name of that area. But King Street was near there, and George Mason, if I recall correctly. Lots of high-rises. Granted, not the most ideal. But certainly seemed acceptable in that the location was between it all, with DC not far off. Maybe it was closer to Falls Church than Annandale though. Speaking of Arlandria, not really a metro near there, right? That seemed to be the case anyways.

ANNANDALE. Yeah, not really mixed developments, but only in comparison to the further out suburbs, which had no residential and business anywhere remotely near each other. As I was coming in closer towards DC, it was just a pleasant sight to see it converging a bit more than 'out there'.

MANASSAS. I agree about the lower housing values being a GREAT thing! Something affordable! If it wasn't that way, I'd write it off due to distance. Looks like it's about one hour on the VRE. Which seems like it might be maximum threshold I'd want to endure.
No, you're almost surely referring to Build America Plaza on S. George Mason Drive in Falls Church, which is in Fairfax County (as is Annandale, although I saw that you're posting over on the Maryland forum that you don't like anything in Fairfax County). That plaza is near both Alexandria and Arlington, but it is not in "Arlandria," which refers to a heavily Hispanic area in the northeastern part of the City of Alexandria that is further east near South Glebe and West Glebe Roads.

Old 08-28-2012, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tone509 View Post
Tiger Beer,

Thanks for once again sharing your through impressions of NOVA! I agree that Annandale might be the best fit for your household, although your budget as well the location of your employment may still be factors in your decision. The fleet of buses that go up and down Little River Turnpike somewhat make up for the lack of Metrorail. It's also why, as suggested, housing costs are relatively low for a relatively close-in area.

FYI Centreville is another location with a growing Asian population although the strip-mall atmosphere may not appeal to you. That's not to say, of course, that most Asians coalesce around those two areas; as I like to say, it's the United Nations around here.
Yeah, I think Annandale probably would fit the best. Good to hear about the fleet of buses as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natthapol View Post
Have you checked out Vienna?
I did on a previous trip. I can't recall exactly why I dismissed it, but it didn't personally appeal. I think it's one of those places that if it were actually affordable, I'd consider it. But nothing about it personally appealed to me, and the high price tags just made me dismiss it altogether.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natthapol View Post
One thing you might like about Centerville is that there are a lot of Korean business; it's the new Annandale! Also, it's a city in Fairfax county that you start to see some view of rolling hills!
Rolling hills are ALWAYS good!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcity View Post
He's probably thinking of the Ethiopian strip mall near Skyline with the Target a short distance away.
That's the one! The Ethiopian strip just added an interesting vibe altogether, plus a nearby Target for easy accessability. Plus located quite central with DC not all that far off.

Old 08-28-2012, 09:32 PM

Quote:
No, you're almost surely referring to Build America Plaza on S. George Mason Drive in Falls Church, which is in Fairfax County (as is Annandale, although I saw that you're posting over on the Maryland forum that you don't like anything in Fairfax County). That plaza is near both Alexandria and Arlington, but it is not in "Arlandria," which refers to a heavily Hispanic area further east near South Glebe and West Glebe Roads.
Arlandria = Bailey's Crossroads? That's the heavy hispanic area, correct?

True, I didn't like Fairfax County for the most part, but Annandale was an exception.

Old 08-28-2012, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Arlandria = Bailey's Crossroads? That's the heavy hispanic area, correct?

True, I didn't like Fairfax County for the most part, but Annandale was an exception.
No, they are different areas miles apart, though they each have a large Hispanic population. As do Manassas and, increasingly, Annandale.

Re Pimmit Hills, I mentioned it in an earlier post because it has a down to earth vibe and is much closer to DC than Manassas. However, it is heavily residential and does not really integrate commercial and residential areas. And there's no Asian retail business presence to speak of, as in Annandale or other parts of Falls Church. Probably not up to your standards, either.

Old 08-28-2012, 09:48 PM

Quote:
No, they are different areas miles apart, though they each have a large Hispanic population. As do Manassas and, increasingly, Annandale.
I did notice Manassas had a large hispanic population, particularly Salvadorean. Actually I noticed that pretty much throughout NoVA. Pretty much anyone I saw walking on any sidewalk anywhere, was almost always Hispanic. Also went to the Manassas Mall, and saw probably something like 1/3rd were hispanic, more or less. Seems like a continuing trend with the area.

Old 08-28-2012, 09:55 PM

Quote:
I did notice Manassas had a large hispanic population, particularly Salvadorean. Actually I noticed that pretty much throughout NoVA. Pretty much anyone I saw walking on any sidewalk anywhere, was almost always Hispanic. Also went to the Manassas Mall, and saw probably something like 1/3rd were hispanic, more or less. Seems like a continuing trend with the area.
That was a function of where you chose to spend your time. Had you been in Old Town Alexandria, Central Arlington, Vienna or downtown McLean, for example, a majority of those walking on the sidewalks would not necessarily have been Hispanic.

Old 08-28-2012, 10:19 PM

Quote:
That was a function of where you chose to spend your time. Had you been in Old Town Alexandria, Central Arlington, Vienna or downtown McLean, for example, a majority of those walking on the sidewalks would not necessarily have been Hispanic.
Good point! So true.

Old 08-29-2012, 07:28 AM

8,868 posts, read 12,578,977 times
Quote:

While you will see non-hispanics walking in the "pedestrian friendly" areas, in the areas that are less "pedestrian friendly" (note some people think that what constitutes pedestrian friendliness, beyond safety, is purely subjective) I would say the overwhelming majority (but not quite all) of the pedestrians are hispanic. (and yes, I guess downtown Mclean is a partial exception to that)

Last edited by brooklynborndad; 08-29-2012 at 07:55 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia