Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2012, 07:54 AM

111 posts, read 315,276 times

Advertisements

Moved into our house in May of this year (West Springfield/Burke) and noticed some spiders around the house. I went out and got some of the Home Defense stuff at Home Depot and sprayed and helped a little bit. Over the last week I have noticed about 1 a day. Some ranging in the size of a pee to a quarter. No other big bugs/ants, just spiders of different shapes and colors.

Could this be because of the weather change and or rain?

Also what can I do to get rid of them to keep them from getting in or finding them in uncomfortable places? (above bed, in foyer, etc).

Do I need to hire someone to professionally spray or should I just do it again (it has been about 1 to 2 months since the last time)

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2012, 11:55 AM

979 posts, read 1,776,749 times
I hate spiders. We moved into our current house in March, and I have seen SO MANY SPIDERS! I think the winter was just too mild, and now we have all these extra bugs around (spiders, mosquitoes, fleas...). We have a service that comes and sprays our property exterior every couple months (hired them when we were also finding many earwigs in our house), and that has helped a bit, but they are still IN our house. I see at least 2-3 spiders per day. I really don't want to have to bomb (we have 2 dogs and a 5-month old baby), but it may be getting to that point...

Old 08-28-2012, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jillybean720 View Post
I hate spiders. We moved into our current house in March, and I have seen SO MANY SPIDERS! I think the winter was just too mild, and now we have all these extra bugs around (spiders, mosquitoes, fleas...). We have a service that comes and sprays our property exterior every couple months (hired them when we were also finding many earwigs in our house), and that has helped a bit, but they are still IN our house. I see at least 2-3 spiders per day. I really don't want to have to bomb (we have 2 dogs and a 5-month old baby), but it may be getting to that point...
Who do you use to do the spraying.

Old 08-28-2012, 01:44 PM

1,051 posts, read 2,475,075 times
We have been using American Sentry Pest Control for spraying for bugs, and especially spiders. They are a local company and they have us on the schedule to come spray every 2-3 months. They're always so nice to deal with and I'm happy to support a family owned company. But yes, we've had a lot of spiders and earwigs, spiders are the worst though, I hate them.

Old 08-28-2012, 03:00 PM

247 posts, read 1,141,490 times
Did you spray the outside of your house, around the foundation especially? We fought bugs for years, until we figured out that you've got to get them where they come in the house. If you're just spraying inside, it's too late. We've found the outside sprays you can get from the big box places actually work pretty well, if you use them regularly (at least twice a year), and are really through at points of entry.

Old 08-28-2012, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alibaba1579 View Post
Did you spray the outside of your house, around the foundation especially? We fought bugs for years, until we figured out that you've got to get them where they come in the house. If you're just spraying inside, it's too late. We've found the outside sprays you can get from the big box places actually work pretty well, if you use them regularly (at least twice a year), and are really through at points of entry.
I did do around the outside of the house. Not inside the house. I will do it again this weekend and see about getting inside also. My wife is pregnant so not sure how that stuff will work on that

Old 08-28-2012, 04:39 PM

5,404 posts, read 16,000,620 times
Hire a real exterminator....the "DIY" stuff doesn't work as well. I don't mind little spiders...just smush 'em....it's the BIG, HAIRY ones that I don't like...they ooze if you step on them! Gross!

Old 08-28-2012, 04:55 PM

160 posts, read 279,590 times
So far we've just noticed them outside the windows. Big ones. I like them....OUTSIDE! They eat nasty mosquitoes and are fun to watch, but as soon as they are in my house, forget it.

We have already named a huge orb weaver outside a window of the master bedroom. Charlotte, of course .

Old 08-28-2012, 06:03 PM

262 posts, read 582,849 times
I call late August "Spider Season". We get big ones in many of our windows. (outside). Today I opened the front door for the plumber and there was one hanging in the doorway. The plumber even said "thats a big one." I hate them but I know they help control mosquitos, etc. They can spin huge webs, sometimes between the legs of the deck. They go away after the first frost. I try not to freak out, I HATE spiders, and leave them alone as long as they are not in any doorways or areas where I'm going to be. i don't know what kind they are but they are all the same kind.

Old 08-28-2012, 07:36 PM

979 posts, read 1,776,749 times
We use Aspen. I did NO research - I had been meaning to look into pest services to spray for bugs, but I was SO busy (just moved, had a baby, have a hectic/stressful job, my father passed away...). Aspen called us to say they were going to be in the area spraying for others in the neighborhood, and...I think I said yes before I even asked him how much it would cost! I did remember to verify it was safe for pets and babies (since I have both). It was the first time I'd EVER accepted an offer from what was essentially a telemarketer
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia