Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2012, 07:37 PM

948 posts, read 3,357,717 times

Advertisements

While I know many sing the praises of the public schools in Northern Virginia I'm quite surprised about the lack of technology instruction in the middle schools. Keyboarding is offered in 6th grade only but 7th grade courses didn't have me excited either.

I understand there's a high school in Alexandria that is science and technology based but why does Arlington wait until high school to offer these courses? Why wait when the mind of a tween is ready now??? This area has a high demand for cyber security jobs so why wait until high school to cram so much instruction when a child's brain is ready to be imprinted with this knowledge way before high school?

So, back to my search for a private middle school that offers courses in technology beyond learning how to type?

Fwiw, we are already supplementing our son's education with tutoring in javascript and he's doing XCode on his own. But, this is just not enough for him. This kid loves, loves, loves computers at the ripe age of 11 and wants to learn so much more about computers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2012, 09:04 PM

2,136 posts, read 5,313,377 times
Loudoun School for the Gifted (grades 6-12)

Old 08-29-2012, 07:14 AM

1,534 posts, read 3,726,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skatergirl View Post
While I know many sing the praises of the public schools in Northern Virginia I'm quite surprised about the lack of technology instruction in the middle schools. Keyboarding is offered in 6th grade only but 7th grade courses didn't have me excited either.

I understand there's a high school in Alexandria that is science and technology based but why does Arlington wait until high school to offer these courses? Why wait when the mind of a tween is ready now??? This area has a high demand for cyber security jobs so why wait until high school to cram so much instruction when a child's brain is ready to be imprinted with this knowledge way before high school?

So, back to my search for a private middle school that offers courses in technology beyond learning how to type?

Fwiw, we are already supplementing our son's education with tutoring in javascript and he's doing XCode on his own. But, this is just not enough for him. This kid loves, loves, loves computers at the ripe age of 11 and wants to learn so much more about computers.
Where are you looking and are you looking for classes or to actually switch schools? (I have an 11 year-old computer geek, too. )

Old 08-29-2012, 07:57 AM

948 posts, read 3,357,717 times
Default More

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeFish View Post
Where are you looking and are you looking for classes or to actually switch schools? (I have an 11 year-old computer geek, too. )
I would prefer to find a private school and pull him out of public all together. I would consider D.C., NOVA and some parts of Md but absolutely nothing more than an hour ride.

Old 08-29-2012, 12:20 PM

92 posts, read 201,831 times
Learn by doing! Buy the boy some books and some software and let him go to it.

Bound to be some online courses, too.

Old 08-29-2012, 01:10 PM

2,765 posts, read 8,332,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lehuster View Post
Learn by doing! Buy the boy some books and some software and let him go to it.

Bound to be some online courses, too.
I agree!!!!!!!!!!

Old 08-29-2012, 02:17 PM

12,906 posts, read 15,668,560 times
Here's my thoughts: most private schools around here do not have the technology budgets that the public schools have. The only exception to this rule would be the elite (pricey) private schools. My kids spent the better part of their educations in private schools (but some time in public schools) and I can tell you that the public schools focus more on technology because they have the money to do so.

If you are really interested in technology, you can move to Prince William County and enroll your son in the specialized high school program and Forest Park Senior High School. It is a technology/computer program. I believe the students can actually come out of high school with some type of certification (haven't looked at the site in awhile so I'm not sure). My son was considering this school.

Old 08-29-2012, 02:28 PM

1,534 posts, read 3,726,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineVA View Post
Here's my thoughts: most private schools around here do not have the technology budgets that the public schools have. The only exception to this rule would be the elite (pricey) private schools. My kids spent the better part of their educations in private schools (but some time in public schools) and I can tell you that the public schools focus more on technology because they have the money to do so.

If you are really interested in technology, you can move to Prince William County and enroll your son in the specialized high school program and Forest Park Senior High School. It is a technology/computer program. I believe the students can actually come out of high school with some type of certification (haven't looked at the site in awhile so I'm not sure). My son was considering this school.
There's a Governor's STEM Academy at Chantilly High School but I believe the OP was looking for something in middle school.

Old 08-29-2012, 02:44 PM

12,906 posts, read 15,668,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeFish View Post
There's a Governor's STEM Academy at Chantilly High School but I believe the OP was looking for something in middle school.

Yes, she was but I can't think of any middle school that focuses on technology like a few select high schools do. And unless you want to pay big bucks for some private school that can outfit itself with the latest and greatest, the private schools generally fare worse.

Old 08-30-2012, 10:50 AM

4,036 posts, read 9,248,659 times
I pass by the Nysmith school for the gifted everyday going to work. The building looks sleek.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia