Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2012, 08:55 AM

62 posts, read 263,515 times

Advertisements

Last week, I noticed that my driver's license expired for a year and 1 month. I went to the DMV to renew it. They told me that I have to start over like a person who never had a license before, meaning I have to take written and driving tests again. I had my license for over 20 years and never had a ticket. I don't think I would have problem with the driving test but I could not take it without passing the written test. I tried the written test on the same day at the DMV but failed and they said that I had only 2 more chances to take the test without enrolling in driving school. Does anyone had that experience and is there any solution without retaking all driving test or enrolling in driving school? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2012, 09:31 AM

84 posts, read 215,548 times
VA DMV has a driver's manual on their website. If you know everything in that manual, you will not fail the test. So try and prepare harder using that manual, as all of the questions in the test come from that manual.

Old 09-04-2012, 11:56 AM

429 posts, read 1,163,247 times
I had the same problem when my DL expired while I was living overseas. The only exception I'm aware of is for uniformed military. Everyone elsel just has to take the test. Newbee_0711 is right about the manual containing everything you need to know to pass the written test.

Old 09-05-2012, 06:31 PM

979 posts, read 1,777,654 times
That's just the rule if your license has been expired for over a year. If you were within the first year after it expired, you wouldn't have to retest.

Old 09-05-2012, 08:30 PM

5,404 posts, read 16,008,160 times
Va. is very tough on renewing your license.....this is a state that issued ID's to some of the 911 terrorists....so they've gone totally overboard about IDs!

If your DL expires, you are in for a rough time! Everyone....check the expiration date, so this doesn't happen to you! It's not just having to take the driver's test again....it's having to PROVE you are who you say you are...documentation up the wahzoo.....just renew BEFORE it expires!!!!

Old 09-06-2012, 06:42 AM

89 posts, read 179,218 times
Does the DMV not send out those renewal notices a few months before your license expires anymore??

Old 09-06-2012, 07:10 AM

9,884 posts, read 14,152,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsEvie64 View Post
Does the DMV not send out those renewal notices a few months before your license expires anymore??
yup, they do.

Old 09-06-2012, 07:54 AM

881 posts, read 2,094,389 times
Quote:
Starting almost a year out. FWIW, here's a sample test: Commonwealth of Virginia Department of Motor Vehicles

and no, VA isn't "tougher after 9/11" or anything like that. sheesh.

Old 09-06-2012, 08:15 AM

13 posts, read 20,837 times
Quote:
I also got into the same situation and did not get any mail about my DL expired. My sister got an email alert when hers expired because she signed up with the DMV. I only discovered that my DL expired when I tried to sign up to renew my car registration and could not set up a PIN number.

Last edited by doit41; 09-06-2012 at 08:23 AM..

Old 09-06-2012, 08:22 AM

13 posts, read 20,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RamblingMan View Post
I had the same problem when my DL expired while I was living overseas. The only exception I'm aware of is for uniformed military. Everyone elsel just has to take the test. Newbee_0711 is right about the manual containing everything you need to know to pass the written test.
The thing is that the written test now is more complicated than before. It was 2 parts and you cannot take second part until you pass the first part. The first part was 10 questions and you have to get perfect scores. I got only one question wrong and they failed me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia