Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2012, 09:39 AM

8,868 posts, read 12,581,534 times

Advertisements

at least one free newspaper does not

Examiner prints literally incendiary anti-bike cover - Greater Greater Washington
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2012, 10:02 AM

881 posts, read 2,095,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklynborndad View Post
??? It's a case of unfortunate proximity, nothing more. The linked writer comes across as a real whiner...

Old 09-13-2012, 10:02 AM

84 posts, read 215,611 times
Probably drivers angry at ignorant bikers. I am glad to share roads with smart bicyclists who are aware of risks and dangers of riding their bicycles in traffic. I understand they are more vulnerable than drivers and try to look out for them. However, some think they are kings of the road and are entitled to do whatever they want, both on roads and sidewalks. Some ride against the traffic flow, some are very aggressive, some appear out of nowhere without slowing down, some ride without any light reflectors in complete darkness. I also can see where the author is coming from criticizing people using bikeshare. I was almost hit a few times while walking on a sidewalk by one of these 'bikesharers'. I was also shouted at for not using the proper lane on a side walk (apparently there is also a designated bike lane on sidewalks as well).

I am personally of an opinion that there should be consequences for bikers violating rules of the road, not just 'blah blah blah' on the paper.

Old 09-13-2012, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newbee_0711 View Post
I am personally of an opinion that there should be consequences for bikers violating rules of the road, not just 'blah blah blah' on the paper.
Park Police ticket bicyclists for biking past stop signs - @TBD On Foot | TBD.com

See, Cyclists Do Get Tickets: DCist

"On WTOP yesterday, D.C. Police Chief Cathy Lanier said that in 2011 MPD officers handed out 3,000 tickets to cyclists and 500 to pedestrians for a variety of infractions:"

Old 09-13-2012, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayess1 View Post
??? It's a case of unfortunate proximity, nothing more. The linked writer comes across as a real whiner...

I can just imagine the reaction if say, City Paper did an article with a similar headline about drivers.

Old 09-13-2012, 10:18 AM

There are igorant cyclists (both bike share and not) ignorant pedestrians, and ignorant drivers. Education on the rules of the road would probably help all of them.

Old 09-13-2012, 10:20 AM

84 posts, read 215,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklynborndad View Post
There are igorant cyclists (both bike share and not) ignorant pedestrians, and ignorant drivers. Education on the rules of the road would probably help all of them.
I agree, and also think that a hateful article was just too much

Old 09-13-2012, 10:32 AM

7,670 posts, read 14,267,635 times
I didn't read the article as the wi fi where I am sucks and things open slowly, if at all. I tend to have more negative experiences with bike riders than good ones anymore. While riding 2 up on my MC last weekend with the wife we were on Rt 17 in between I 66 and Rt 50. Came across three riders. Riders 1 and 3 were doing fine in single file while rider 2 was off set towards the middle of the road. Looks like he was trying to chat with rider 1. My MC has a very loud horn so I gave it a quick tap which did the trick. He quickly moved over and rider 1 even gave a sorry wave. Had I done a full blast they likely would have crashed and I didn't want that. What I really hate coming across are the large group rides. When they space out it's not as bad but still can be frustrating. I know it's an excellent way to stay in shape and I wouldn't mind doing it if there were some good riding areas near me but riding on the roads with other vehicles just turn me off.

Old 09-13-2012, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newbee_0711 View Post
I agree, and also think that a hateful article was just too much

actually the article isn't that bad

Cyclists, drivers wary of each other as bikes and crashes multiply | WashingtonExaminer.com

the headline is too much, IMO

Old 09-13-2012, 06:26 PM

5,759 posts, read 10,739,644 times
I used to be a bike commuter (years ago), but I've grown to hate most of them. They hog the middle of the road and can't keep up with the traffic. If you want to pretend you're a motor vehicle, keep up with the motor vehicles! (I prided myself on passing buses while going uphill in Boulder, CO.)

What really galls me is when they're in a road, and there's a bike path RIGHT THERE. Like when I see 'em on Wilson Blvd. There's a very nice bike path that goes from Ballston to EFC and on to Herndon (and possibly beyond). Or on N. George Mason--instead of on the 4 Mile Run Trail (which parallels it).

It boggles the mind as to why they'd want to be amid the cars and in the sun rather than on their own, shaded path, with no intersections.

Even more amazing is when I'd see them on the GW Parkway--where there are "no bikes" signs. Again, there's a very nice path alongside the Parkway, going from Mt. Vernon to somewhere north of DCA.

Still, the Examiner is a ridiculous, biased piece of propaganda. Good for lining the rabbit cage and not much else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia