Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2012, 06:51 AM

5,125 posts, read 10,085,417 times

Advertisements

I think the Examiner headline is dumb (local effort to copy NY Post "Headless Man in Topless Bar" style), although David Alpert's commentary on the juxtaposition of the article and picture isn't much better. The thing that I find strange is that the only time I ever look at the Examiner is when I'm taking Metro and someone hands me a free copy, so it seems like a publication that ought to celebrate alternatives to cars.

Probably because I saw this thread, I was more sensitive to Capitol Bikeshare riders this AM coming into the District. Some CaBi riders (and other bike riders downtown) definitely do not obey traffic laws, particularly on streets near the White House. Do CaBi riders have to confirm their knowledge or local traffic laws and/or intent to comply with them before they get access to the bikes? If they don't, should they be required to do so? If nothing else, it seems like it would limit CaBi's potential liability.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2012, 03:00 PM

8,868 posts, read 12,555,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlingtonian View Post
I used to be a bike commuter (years ago), but I've grown to hate most of them. They hog the middle of the road and can't keep up with the traffic. If you want to pretend you're a motor vehicle, keep up with the motor vehicles! (I prided myself on passing buses while going uphill in Boulder, CO.)

What really galls me is when they're in a road, and there's a bike path RIGHT THERE. Like when I see 'em on Wilson Blvd. There's a very nice bike path that goes from Ballston to EFC and on to Herndon (and possibly beyond). Or on N. George Mason--instead of on the 4 Mile Run Trail (which parallels it).

It boggles the mind as to why they'd want to be amid the cars and in the sun rather than on their own, shaded path, with no intersections.

Even more amazing is when I'd see them on the GW Parkway--where there are "no bikes" signs. Again, there's a very nice path alongside the Parkway, going from Mt. Vernon to somewhere north of DCA.

Still, the Examiner is a ridiculous, biased piece of propaganda. Good for lining the rabbit cage and not much else.
Sometimes trails don't get you right where you need to go (I think the Custis has issues with that in spots) and some are not well designed (I've heard of complaints about parts of the MVT in that regard) And of course there are ped conflicts on many (though my impression is that few peds use the Custis trail) Personally I wouldnt feel comfortable on the GW Parkway, and I have not yet had a transportation need to be on Wilson on a bike.

As for riding in the lane, there are places where taking the lane is the best thing to do - the problem with staying to the right is that drivers will attempt to pass you IN the lane, where there really isnt enough room - the should pass outside the lane, just like they would with a slow moving motor vehicle. Again, I dont have the confidence to stay in the middle of the lane except in rare instances - but that means there are a lot of places I really can't go by bike, because there simply is no safe route.

Old 09-14-2012, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEB77 View Post
Do CaBi riders have to confirm their knowledge or local traffic laws and/or intent to comply with them before they get access to the bikes? If they don't, should they be required to do so? If nothing else, it seems like it would limit CaBi's potential liability.
no more so than any traditional bike rental as far as I know. Or for that matter any auto rental. I dont think in either case there is a liability to the rental company.

"Some CaBi riders (and other bike riders downtown) definitely do not obey traffic laws, particularly on streets near the White House."

I am not angry at clueless Bikeshare riders

Old 09-14-2012, 03:15 PM

5,759 posts, read 10,719,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklynborndad View Post
As for riding in the lane, there are places where taking the lane is the best thing to do - the problem with staying to the right is that drivers will attempt to pass you IN the lane, where there really isnt enough room - the should pass outside the lane, just like they would with a slow moving motor vehicle.
I really disagree with you here. First (regarding your latter point): There is often just a few inches between a passing car and the car being passed. Sure, you're in different lanes, but the vehicles are almost the width of each lane. So the distance between may be two feet, or it may be 6 inches (depending on vehicle width and where the cars are within their lanes).

But more importantly: A cyclist staying in the lane and going slower than the traffic is blocking everyone behind him/her. That's infuriating--and amounts to just being a jackass. If I see a cyclist off to the side, I will give plenty of room (3 feet or more) while passing, because I appreciate the courtesy. But if he's blocking the lane, I'll still pass him, and I may not be so generous--partly because I'm punishing him for his jackassery, but partly because I'm not willing to drive completely within the opposing lane of traffic. (Whereas bleeding over into it for a few seconds is something I'm willing to do while passing a cyclist who's riding all the way to the right.)

Old 09-14-2012, 03:23 PM

Quote:
But more importantly: A cyclist staying in the lane and going slower than the traffic is blocking everyone behind him/her. That's infuriating--and amounts to just being a jackass. If I see a cyclist off to the side, I will give plenty of room (3 feet or more) while passing, because I appreciate the courtesy. But if he's blocking the lane, I'll still pass him, and I may not be so generous.
In fairfax county there are many roads with two lanes in each direction - and at may times of the day and week they are not that crowded. Its easy for a driver to switch lanes to pass - a cyclist taking the lane is not slowing motor vehicle traffic at all. Roads with one lane in each direction, and posted for speeds well above what cyclists can do, can be problematic. As for going on the side, there can be issues with that in some places with getting doored, and with proper approaches at intersections (from what I understand "right hooks" at intersections are particularly dangerous to cyclists) .

Still, in my experience as a driver, I seldom if ever see a cyclist taking a lane for a long period of time in such a way as to impede motor vehicle traffic.

I'm glad you give a rider 3 feet - IIUC thats the law - some vehicles will have a hard time giving that much room while passing within a lane I guess. I think the law is that you are supposed to pass outside the lane if possible, but Im not certain.

Old 09-14-2012, 07:58 PM

Quote:
But if he's blocking the lane, I'll still pass him, and I may not be so generous--partly because I'm punishing him for his jackassery,

I hope for your sake and his that you don't end up killing someone in an attempt to "punish" them. Even if you are outside the mandated two feet, a death resulting from a conscious attempt to harass, if discovered, would not be a good legal situation, I think.

Please kindly watch the following.

Drivers Education Video - YouTube

Old 09-14-2012, 08:03 PM

Three Feet to Pass — Why Such Resistance? | Virginia Bicycling Federation

"3 feet accounts for the typical wobble of many cyclists and children, and helps to prevent crashes where a cyclist gets startled and loses control."

Old 09-15-2012, 08:02 AM

The Rights and Duties of Cyclists - Bicycle Safety - YouTube

this is even better on when and why cyclists should take the lane.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia