Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-19-2012, 07:29 PM

2 posts, read 2,244 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are looking to move from Long Island, New York, to the Northern Virginia area and need some help.
We were looking in the Manassas as well as the Leesburg area. We're looking to start a family soon, so we need an area with a good school district. As a young couple, we're also looking for an area with a lot of things to do, as well as places to shop, etc.
We're looking to possibly rent first, while trying to sell our home here (haha..)
ANY help, is good help!!

Thank you!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2012, 07:37 PM

9,879 posts, read 14,134,378 times
Where are your jobs? What is your price range for rent/ purchase?

Old 09-19-2012, 07:54 PM

2 posts, read 2,244 times
He has a few job opportunities near the Manassas area. I'm (sort of) flexible with where I work as I am a paramedic. As far as rent, I'm not quite sure what a decent range is for Virginia.. $1,650 here, got us a second floor, 2 bedroom apartment in a complex. Our budget to purchase a home is around $275,000. (I know, doesn't seem like much.)

Old 09-20-2012, 03:41 AM

7,670 posts, read 14,247,500 times
If the jobs are in or near Manassas I would consider the Manassas/Gainesville area due to the drive from Leesburg. As with any areas there are places to stay away from in Manassas and schools that are better than others. The Gainesville area is nice with newer schools but you may find it a little out of your range but possibly not. You might need to list neighborhoods you're looking at so we can better advise you.

Old 09-20-2012, 08:09 AM

4,709 posts, read 12,678,258 times
Fuhgettaboutit....there's no decent pizza here.

Old 09-20-2012, 08:22 AM

531 posts, read 1,429,197 times
I second Gainesville. Haymaket is nice too. You don't want to live in Leesburg since it is too far away from Manassas. Another choice is Aldie if you prefer Loudoun county over Prince William county.

Old 09-20-2012, 09:27 AM

564 posts, read 1,494,253 times
I notice you said $275k budget for a house. Do you have any preconceived notion of what sort of house you would be willing to buy with that money?

Often, people pop on here hoping to hear they will get a big SFH w/ lots of land and a 2 car garage for that, and they're usually disappointed when they discover they're in TH territory, and not in the location they were hoping for. It sounds like you'd plan to rent for a while anyway which is always a good choice.

Old 09-20-2012, 10:14 AM

303 posts, read 592,559 times
I see you are thinking about renting first but with your budget you can get a nice townhouse in Bristow which is right outside of Gainesville. Your husband would be very close to his job in Manassas.

Lots of good schools here and lots of people with young children. This is a very family friendly area. Low crime. Nice shopping and restaurants (personally I wish there were more family run style ones) but still good. Wegman's in Gainesville & Giant. Safeway and Harris Teeter in Bristow. Costco up the road in Manassas. Super Target right outside of Bristow, etc., etc. The people are very friendly here, pet friendly and active in lots of jogging/walking on the paths. Our neighborhood (Braemar) has pools and a great swim team that lots of kids participate in. Tennis, club house, etc. included in HOA. It's a nice area. You should take a look.

Oh and we have a fairly new fire house that was built a few years back off Sudley Manor Drive and Linton Hall Road. I received a notice in the mail a couple of weeks back that they were hiring.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia