Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2007, 07:43 AM

19 posts, read 81,575 times

Advertisements

I will be moving to either NOVA or Maryland area next spring. I was wondering if anyone can tell me about Triangle VA. I was looking at a subdivision called Stonewall Manor on the Internet and they seem to have reasonably priced homes than Fairfax County. My last child will be graduating from high school before we move there so I'm not as concerned with schools, but I do believe an excellent or fairly decent school district usually is an indication of what type of town or community is a good area to live in. As far as Triangle is it just a town made up of homes? Is anything there or will I have to leave the town for everything such as shopping, church, restaurants, etc. If so, are there things close by. My husband and I don't have jobs yet, but I'm expecting we will be traveling towards the DC way for employment. I haven't found many areas that appeal to me in Maryland yet. Especially with fairly decent home prices. I really like the builder Craftmark Homes. They also are building in Gainsville at Morris Farm. Any info will be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2007, 10:11 AM

555 posts, read 2,701,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trh1013 View Post
I will be moving to either NOVA or Maryland area next spring. I was wondering if anyone can tell me about Triangle VA. I was looking at a subdivision called Stonewall Manor on the Internet and they seem to have reasonably priced homes than Fairfax County. My last child will be graduating from high school before we move there so I'm not as concerned with schools, but I do believe an excellent or fairly decent school district usually is an indication of what type of town or community is a good area to live in. As far as Triangle is it just a town made up of homes? Is anything there or will I have to leave the town for everything such as shopping, church, restaurants, etc. If so, are there things close by. My husband and I don't have jobs yet, but I'm expecting we will be traveling towards the DC way for employment. I haven't found many areas that appeal to me in Maryland yet. Especially with fairly decent home prices. I really like the builder Craftmark Homes. They also are building in Gainsville at Morris Farm. Any info will be appreciated.
The new homes in Triangle are very nice, however, they are surrounding by a high crime high drug area (Dumfries/Williamstown etc.). Go with Gainesville,much nicer.

Old 10-07-2007, 10:12 PM

Would Loudoun County be better?

Old 10-08-2007, 07:45 AM

352 posts, read 1,591,490 times
Quote:
Perhaps - part of the allure to Loudoun, though, is the school system which is generally considered a plum of the region. Since that's not of crucial importance to you, there's no need to spend more to get it.

And that'll be the case - Loudoun is more expensive than Prince William county, generally.

My advice is to try to hold off on buying a place until you know your commute - even if that means renting for 6 months in Northern Virginia until you are able to figure that out. If you wind up buying in Triangle and then one of you gets a sweet job offer in suburban Maryland, you will HATE your commute.

Old 10-08-2007, 06:27 PM

Thanks for the info. We don't plan on buying until we secure jobs. Right now I'm trying to find out as much info about the areas.

Old 10-09-2007, 02:27 PM

352 posts, read 1,591,490 times
Quote:
Thanks for the info. We don't plan on buying until we secure jobs. Right now I'm trying to find out as much info about the areas.
Well then, here's the deal - you don't save very much money by renting further out in the suburbs than by living closer in. I don't understand why that is, but it is what it is. There's a *huge* difference in cost when you buy in say, Manassas versus Falls Church. The difference in cost to rent between those areas is only a couple hundred dollars, though. If you're going to rent, do it "closer-in" - think Falls Church, Alexandria, Fairfax, Reston, Arlington, Vienna, Annandale - so that your job offer availabilities aren't constrained by your rental. Then you can make a better determination, after the jobs are secured, about buying. Sound like a plan?

Old 10-09-2007, 08:21 PM

Thanks. Sounds like a plan

Old 10-11-2007, 11:07 PM

555 posts, read 2,701,012 times
Quote:
Loudon as a whole is better. It'll cost you though.

Old 10-12-2007, 03:08 AM

109 posts, read 611,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrovic View Post
The new homes in Triangle are very nice, however, they are surrounding by a high crime high drug area (Dumfries/Williamstown etc.). Go with Gainesville,much nicer.
I live in Triangle and have never had a problem... so I don't think you know too much. My neighbors are all professionals with families....Lots of former military, FBI agents (the academy at Quantico) and other government folks. The area to which Nitrovic refers to is a very small part of the Dumfries/Triangle area. As for Gainesville, we have friends who moved from Gainesville area to Montclair because the neighborhoods were not all that great in Gainesville...

An opinion is just that, unless you live there and have first hand experience, merely an opinion.

My neighborhood is about 20 years old... the last house that was purchased here in June sold for about $440,000.00 4 BR, 3 full baths, finished basement and a nice lot, close to 1/2 acre.
Stonewall Manor is nice... but the houses are SO close together. Garrison Woods is brand new and also very nice. The one nice thing about living here is that you can take the train from Quantico station if you work in Alexandria or DC.

Montclair is also a nice area. Get the job first and then base where you are living on your job... so much easier.

Old 11-06-2007, 12:36 AM

12 posts, read 72,106 times
Dorothy1960 is exactly right. Some of the comments here are nothing more than opinions based primarily on rumor, speculation and reputation. However, if people would refrain from posting such negative opinions and comment only on first-hand experience, the reputation of this area wouldn't be nearly as bad as they seem to think....and definitely not any worse than any other area in Northern Virginia.

I have lived in a well-established, older neighborhood in Dumfries (directly across Route 1 from Williamstown/Graham Park Road) for more than 10 years and I love it here, as does every person that I have spoken with in this neighborhood. Everyone that I've met is very friendly. If I'm outside and someone is out for a walk, they usually stop to chat or at least say hello, whether they know me or not. I usually get a wave from almost every car that passes, again whether they know me or not. There have been a few deaths of elderly people since I've been here, and practically everyone in the neighborhood attended their funerals....yet again, whether they knew them or not. You don't have to be on a first-name basis with someone to express your condolences....you can simply be caring neighbor....and that is what makes up the majority of my neigborhood.

My next-door neighbor is a local pastor. He and his family have no pets and yet, whenever he is outside, he always has treats in his pocket to share with my dog over the fence. I know him only as a neighbor and have never even set foot inside his home, but still I know that he would be there in a heartbeat if I or my family ever needed anything. Not because he is a pastor, but because he is my neighbor. That's what a quality neighborhood is all about and there are many neighborhoods like mine throughout Dumfries and Triangle.

So whatever you do, please do not base your decision on the opinions of people who do not live here. Go out into these neighborhoods and see for yourself. Take a walk through Prince William Estates some afternoon when many people are out working in their yards or spending time with their families, and stop and chat with some of them. Drive through at night with your windows down and pay attention to the peace and quiet. I'm sure you will be pleasantly surprised.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia