Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2012, 04:15 PM

6 posts, read 29,111 times

Advertisements

They are closed on the weekend and My child takes it on monday.

His sub in class on fri. Told him he isn't allowed to write in the practice test book (other than the answer) and he told me that was tricky for him- because he said he wanted to write the addition numbers to some questions as he was figuring out the answer. I felt bad for him. He knows what he needs to do to figure out a question. And The letter home from his school said he could mark in the test booklet... So i don't know?

I am not familiar w. what exactly the cogat tests, only that it will assess his reasoning skills. I just felt for him b/c he has an inner drive to do well- he always has.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2012, 07:59 PM

23 posts, read 62,464 times
If you got an official letter from the school, I would take that as the final word, not what a 'sub' (substitute?) said in class. In any case, he'll find out on Monday. If they don't say anything about this issue then, tell him to ask before the test.

I feel for the little guy. It sounds like he puts a lot of pressure on himself to do well. I was the same way growing up - always had to get the best grades and be the best in everything. I never allowed myself to be young. One of the biggest regrets of my life. Please try to help him find balance.

Old 10-14-2012, 09:24 AM

6 posts, read 29,111 times
Still no answer from others but wow! A lot of parents telling me how I should/shouldn't be. I can't just listen to it all anymore...I have to say a few things. While I know others who have answered (w. out answering my question) have meant well... golly gee wiz- it has been accompanied with a lot of condescension. As if you are parents who "know" better. Please, give me a break.
I could give a long lecture here (but we are out and enjoying our weekend & I don't have the time) but let me just say this: we as fellow parents should TRUST that if a parent asks a question they 1. Have a good reason to do so 2. Know their kids and you don't 3. Are as equally qualified as you are to know what is best for their child.
Little about me: stay at home mom currently, masters trained teacher, mother of three. My children are the three happiest and playful kiddos you'd ever meet! They spend more time in our cul de sac playing with neighbors & nature than they do with me! they are totally well rounded!
So all those who have tried to "lecture" me and tell me to disregard my own question, let my kids "play" more and don't worry about it--- consider that I am as equally qualified to ask a question and get an answer as you- who knows- maybe even more qualified (condensation not implied).
Cheers.

Old 10-14-2012, 10:25 AM

14,129 posts, read 31,238,974 times
One other suggestion would be to post the question on the education forum. I can't imagine the rules would be any different state to state on this type of test and you'll reach a much wider audience who likely have more expertise.

Old 10-14-2012, 03:04 PM

17,349 posts, read 16,485,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momsword View Post
Still no answer from others but wow! A lot of parents telling me how I should/shouldn't be. I can't just listen to it all anymore...I have to say a few things. While I know others who have answered (w. out answering my question) have meant well... golly gee wiz- it has been accompanied with a lot of condescension. As if you are parents who "know" better. Please, give me a break.
I could give a long lecture here (but we are out and enjoying our weekend & I don't have the time) but let me just say this: we as fellow parents should TRUST that if a parent asks a question they 1. Have a good reason to do so 2. Know their kids and you don't 3. Are as equally qualified as you are to know what is best for their child.
Little about me: stay at home mom currently, masters trained teacher, mother of three. My children are the three happiest and playful kiddos you'd ever meet! They spend more time in our cul de sac playing with neighbors & nature than they do with me! they are totally well rounded!
So all those who have tried to "lecture" me and tell me to disregard my own question, let my kids "play" more and don't worry about it--- consider that I am as equally qualified to ask a question and get an answer as you- who knows- maybe even more qualified (condensation not implied).
Cheers.
I guess you could call the school first thing on Monday morning and ask what the policy is. It's a reasonable question, the timing of it just could have been better (school is closed and test is tomorrow!).

Sorry, I don't know the answer to your question.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia