Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2012, 07:02 AM

8,982 posts, read 21,183,151 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by espizarro View Post
I totally forgot that, the cost of living. Especially in Fairfax. I mean how come areas in western Northern Virginia like Front Royal and Winchester be a lot cheaper when they have much better natural views than what you can see in Fairfax and Loudoun, except for the part in the north where it makes the border with MD and WV? When I lived in Sterling I paid $1,100 for a one bedroom apartment and out of curiosity I checked now it is $1,300! WTF!!! Then you have the area of Great Falls that I don't know what the hell it has that properties are beyond the million... People say that the payroll in DC Area is much better than Florida... yet when you add and subtract you end up earning more in Florida.

A summary of Loudoun where I lived:
1. County tax for pets and cars (let's assume pets are zero since it is not that expensive- $10 per year, but cars? New cars? above $500 per year!!! WTF?
2. Rent: If you want to live in a nice area, like Sterling, Ashburn or Leesburg: $1,200
3. Power, Water are the same as Florida
4. Gas. I actually ended up paying nothing after four months, but I had to make a deposit of $500.
5. Food: same as Florida
6. Gasoline: generally the same as Florida in "poorer" areas; more expensive elsewhere

You have to inspect your car for safety in Northern Virginia regularly: the slightest "bad" thing; the slightest crack, nothing is forgiven or bypased... REJECTION. Also! If they reject it there is nothing like time of grace- they put the rejection in the windshield and pray to God on your way home no police sees it 'cause it is active from the first second it is put. I had two of the wheels really used up when I had to renew but then all four failed according to the inspector. Needless to say they did not tell me anything and were generally unfriendly.

The DC Area is not a friendly place for those who expect to earn middle income. Other than the Smithsonian museums, entertainment in DC can be really expensive. Skyline Drive $15. Luray Caverns $35. (Don't know if it went up since then). Baltimore Aquarium $35. Terrible traffic makes you go insane. Avoid 495 on Fridays or be ready to at least have a movie to watch while your car is parked in the interstate. Yes! PARKED.

You can earn $50,000 in DC, and $35,000 in FL, it is exactly the same, I would even dare to say you earn more in Florida.

My first job I earned $17/hr and I was able to do a lot of traveling around and ask nobody for financial help. In Virginia I had to ask for help several times.

Don't be deceived by the "lofty" style in NoVA and the DC Area in general. Look at the salary- if it is below $60,000, you will have to save money and believe me, the mindset there is to work first and then work after you finish working. (And I am being really coherent here). I remember once a person from the Middle East said "make work your home". That's not life.

Here in Tampa they say the economy is horrible, and it is. But a person who manages to find a good job here will end up making a lot more than in more "money-oriented" areas including DC. Here you can find a nice apartment for $700, there are no state taxes, no inspection for vehicle payment, no car tax, no gas- only rent, car, insurance, and the normal debts. You can end up only needing $1,500 for your spendings, while in NoVA $1,500 can be spent only in the rent. The same goes for a lot of areas in the US, like Texas, which offers a better salary than FL, perhaps as competitive as NOVA with a cost of living similar to Florida. Florida: You earn less, pay for less; NOVA/DC Area: You earn more and pay a lot more. Texas: You earn more, and pay less.
To sum the questions in your post: jobs. NOVA is a reasonably reliable source of employment in good times and bad, especially for highly-skilled (and therefore highly-paid) positions. NOVA is also somewhat unique in that it has job centers towards the outer part of the region (Tysons Corner and Dulles). All of that drives up the cost of housing in general and further out than one might expect. Texas is somewhat of an anomaly since its relatively wide open spaces as well as its rules on lending prevented a housing boom and its extremely business-friendly climate makes it attractive to corporations.

Last edited by FindingZen; 10-16-2012 at 09:02 AM.. Reason: added thoughts about TX

Old 10-16-2012, 07:35 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,104,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GustavoFring View Post
Methinks you haven't visited many of these "small towns" if you believe the rest of the country is backwater hollows full of Klansmen (sp?). By being so quick to dismiss other areas due to their demographic makeup, and let's be clear, that's what you're doing through veiled imagery where demographically homogeneous areas equate to hate mongering rednecks, you're just displaying your own xenophobia.
It's just a game TE plays. He likes making cliche assumptions about the outer burbs, and I guess he thinks that if he says things enough times he makes it true. I see he's also claiming most people here have long commutes and 60+ hour workweeks. I can't tell you how many times I've challenged him on that--it doesn't seem to sink in. For the record, since I live here I know easily more than 100 families here and none of the people I know have 60 hour work weeks. Some have long commutes, but many more of the people I know work in Reston/Herndon or right here in Loudoun County and don't have bad commutes at all. But I've noted all this before--at least a dozen times, maybe 100 by now.

Old 10-16-2012, 07:52 AM

939 posts, read 1,894,553 times
I used to have 50 hour work weeks right out of college. Now I'm mandated to no more than 40 unless otherwise authorized.

Old 10-16-2012, 08:18 AM

666 posts, read 1,292,815 times
I say lower that ridiculous toll rate of the Greenway and the traffic issues on SR-28 and SR-7 will be almost solved for good. The private companies taking care of that part of the toll route from Leesburg to Chantilly/Sterling/IAD will earn a lot more if they lower the toll to at least $1.50 each way. $6? Are you kidding me?

Old 10-16-2012, 08:31 AM

384 posts, read 596,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
Perhaps you should have gotten here sooner. I've lived here 22 years and think it's pretty nice. My grown kids who grew up here like it so much they don't want to leave so it's apparently not an age thing. This does raise an interesting question - are long time residents happier than more recent arrivers? Or maybe it just sucks to be gen-x?
Thou doth protest too much.

Last edited by cy_flembeck; 10-16-2012 at 08:43 AM..

Old 10-16-2012, 09:17 AM

939 posts, read 1,894,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by espizarro View Post
I say lower that ridiculous toll rate of the Greenway and the traffic issues on SR-28 and SR-7 will be almost solved for good. The private companies taking care of that part of the toll route from Leesburg to Chantilly/Sterling/IAD will earn a lot more if they lower the toll to at least $1.50 each way. $6? Are you kidding me?
The company that owns the greenway made a sweetheart deal that effectively screwed residents of Loudoun county for the next couple of decades at least (no end in sight). However, if it weren't for the road, there would be no Ashburn really. That toll price will only go in one direction for the foreseeable future, and it's silly to expect otherwise. I wish people would consider this when they think about moving out there, but so many people are enamored with the new roads, Harris teeters on every corner, and relative bargain of a McMansion to call their own.

I also haven't been able to find any proof, but I find the complete lack of alternatives to the greenway (including roads that just dead-end in the woods and don't link up with the the other side just a couple of miles away) very suspicious and would bet there has been some back room deals cut between local county executives and the company that owns and manages the greenway. I find the entire idea of that area repulsive for the most part.

Old 10-16-2012, 09:31 AM

666 posts, read 1,292,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GustavoFring View Post
The company that owns the greenway made a sweetheart deal that effectively screwed residents of Loudoun county for the next couple of decades at least (no end in sight). However, if it weren't for the road, there would be no Ashburn really. That toll price will only go in one direction for the foreseeable future, and it's silly to expect otherwise. I wish people would consider this when they think about moving out there, but so many people are enamored with the new roads, Harris teeters on every corner, and relative bargain of a McMansion to call their own.

I also haven't been able to find any proof, but I find the complete lack of alternatives to the greenway (including roads that just dead-end in the woods and don't link up with the the other side just a couple of miles away) very suspicious and would bet there has been some back room deals cut between local county executives and the company that owns and manages the greenway. I find the entire idea of that area repulsive for the most part.
Yes, it is like they will force people from Ashburn and Leesburg to take the greenway or go all the way to I-66 through US-15 south (which is pretty long) or north to Frederick and take I-270 south which is kind of absurd, because SR-7 is already a mess even though they have converted most of it (not sure if all of it by now) into a freeway. But it is only up to Sterling (IAD, SR-28). I am not sure if that is even legal.

Old 10-16-2012, 11:42 AM

165 posts, read 202,596 times
Default Read Robert Putnam

In a multicultural environment, people don't trust each other, so they withdraw.

Bowling Alone

Old 10-16-2012, 12:00 PM

380 posts, read 1,156,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
Perhaps you should have gotten here sooner. I've lived here 22 years and think it's pretty nice. My grown kids who grew up here like it so much they don't want to leave so it's apparently not an age thing. This does raise an interesting question - are long time residents happier than more recent arrivers? Or maybe it just sucks to be gen-x?
If you have always lived here as in the case of your kids, then, it's all you know. So, of course, they would like it. Also, 22 years ago, I doubt this place was as congested or expensive to live in as it is now.

I come from a smaller city where people are more neighborly. The cost of living is lower and they don't have traffic jams. My hometown has its negatives, hence, the fact I left. However, NOVA is not home for me and probably never will be. Comparing the two places, I know I would be happier there or in a similar type city than here.

This area simply isn't for everyone. It's definitely not for me.

Old 10-16-2012, 02:05 PM

2,189 posts, read 3,319,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knt1229 View Post
If you have always lived here as in the case of your kids, then, it's all you know. So, of course, they would like it. Also, 22 years ago, I doubt this place was as congested or expensive to live in as it is now.

I come from a smaller city where people are more neighborly. The cost of living is lower and they don't have traffic jams. My hometown has its negatives, hence, the fact I left. However, NOVA is not home for me and probably never will be. Comparing the two places, I know I would be happier there or in a similar type city than here.

This area simply isn't for everyone. It's definitely not for me.
And therein lies the rub. People like you are here for some reason(probably the robust job market) but don't really want to be here. I have a feeling the people that complain about it not being friendly here are in similar situation as you, and don't really want to be here. And they run into other people who don't want to be here. Doesn't sound fun, and I don't blame them or you for leaving. I'm in my 30s and have lived here my whole life except for college and enjoy the area. Great job market, great school system, and tons of things to do. It's a nice place to raise a family despite it's negatives. Sure, I haven't lived anywhere else besides college so some would say I don't know any better. But if it ain't broke why fix it right?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia