Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2012, 02:58 PM

14,129 posts, read 31,238,974 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMOCCC View Post
This will solve it for ya: "Naturalization Act of 1790 : That any alien, being a free WHITE person, who shall have resided within the limits and under the jurisdiction of the United States , for the term of two years, may be admitted to become a citizen thereof...."

Just kidding. I know that the people who voted me into second class status have sensitive feelings.
Only white, male property owners could vote back then too. I think even Romney could have won with that electorate. I guess it all went to hell for you when they passed the 14th and 15th amendments and then added insult to injury with the 19th.

Old 11-14-2012, 03:09 PM

8,868 posts, read 12,555,005 times
Quote:
Just kidding. I know that the people who voted me into second class status have sensitive feelings.
Hmm? Affirmative action dates to fed employment law in the mid 1960s, when the electorate was far different. The current electorate is in no hurry to reduce it, but they didnt object to Clintons very modest limitations of it in the late 90s. At this point certain aspects are before SCOTUS.

Now, I think the reason many people are not aware of what a nice area NoVa is, is because they don't see it from a bicycle.

Old 11-14-2012, 03:30 PM

165 posts, read 202,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklynborndad View Post

Now, I think the reason many people are not aware of what a nice area NoVa is, is because they don't see it from a bicycle.
Totally agree. It is a beautiful area with lots of history. I hope that more people come to know and love the area.

Old 11-14-2012, 03:35 PM

1,403 posts, read 2,149,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
Don't secede, self-deport!
Well, when I was naturalized I swore to:

Support the Constitution; renounce and abjure absolutely and entirely all allegiance and fidelity to any foreign prince, potentate, state, or sovereignty of whom or which the applicant was before a subject or citizen; and support and defend the Constitution and laws of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic.

As attractive as secession sounds, I'd like to give the Republic a couple more shots.

And I cannot self-deport since I would rather die than return to bending my knee to the heretic queen, that self-declared fidei defensor.
Quote:
I've long thought it would be reasonable to remove hispanics who are NOT Puerto Rican or long-settled (and so experienced historic discrimination in the USA) from the protected groups (the same arguments would argue for removing asians, and blacks not long settled) Problem is there doesn't seem to be a constituency for keeping affirm action but rationalizing it.
Why not get rid of affirmative action totally? Do President Obama's daughters need "protected status" more than children of poverty-stricken whites in the Appalachia or poor Laotians living in a ghetto?
Quote:
Yes, it's a real dilemma. It doesn't seem likely that these groups would be willing to give up their preferences.
1) So do you support affirmative action for "Puerto Rican or long-settled" Hispanics per Brooklynborndad? If so, what a "conservative" you are!

2) As for giving up "their preference," I am sure Asians would love to rid themselves of this "protected status":
Quote:
A 2009 study revealed that Asian-American applicants need a score of 1550 out of 1600 on the SAT exam to compete with white applicants scoring 1410 and African-American applicants scoring only 1100, according to Bloomberg.
You might note that the Asian American Legal Foundation and the Judicial Education Project filed an amicus brief in support of Fisher, the white petitioner in the recent affirmative action case on SCOTUS: http://www.utexas.edu/vp/irla/Docume...Foundation.pdf.
Quote:
This will solve it for ya: "Naturalization Act of 1790 : That any alien, being a free WHITE person, who shall have resided within the limits and under the jurisdiction of the United States , for the term of two years, may be admitted to become a citizen thereof...."

1) I did not vote you into second class status and 2) that's awfully funny. Ha ha. Yes, citizenships for white folks only. Yeah, we'll win lots of votes that way and convince the voters that conservatives are not racists.

Perhaps you might wish to read this from American Conservative (co-founded Pat Buchanan and other paleocons): The GOP’s Asian-American Fiasco | The American Conservative

And also this: The Power of the Asian-American Vote Is Growing -- And It's Up for Grabs - NationalJournal.com
Quote:
During his 2009 campaign for governor, the Republican made an unprecedented push for these voters, airing Asian-language television and radio ads and stuffing mailboxes with literature in Korean, Chinese, Vietnamese, and Tagalog, a Filipino language. McDonnell spun through the Eden Center no less than three times. Ultimately, he flipped the state’s most Asian-American-heavy precincts en route to a rare Republican win in Fairfax County, home of the Eden Center and the epicenter of Virginia’s Asian-American population. In one of those precincts, where more than 45 percent of voters have Asian ancestry, Obama won with 63 percent; McDonnell got 52 percent there, a National Journal analysis showed. The lesson: With a bit of effort, the Asian-American vote could be had by either political party.
And McDonnell did this without renouncing any of his conservative views or offering free goodies.

If you ask nicely and don't come off like racists ("citizenship for whites only! Ha ha, it was just a joke") you can get results like that, because, you see, conservatism works for everyone, regardless of color and origin.

And I am still waiting for your brilliant solution for restoring conservatism in America.

Old 11-14-2012, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndiaLimaDelta View Post
Well, when I was naturalized I swore to:

Support the Constitution; renounce and abjure absolutely and entirely all allegiance and fidelity to any foreign prince, potentate, state, or sovereignty of whom or which the applicant was before a subject or citizen; and support and defend the Constitution and laws of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic.
A long time ago when you'd get a passport they'd ask if you'd swear not to advocate the overthrow the government by force or violence. It took me a minute to realize I shouldn't answer that as multiple choice.

Old 11-14-2012, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Why not get rid of affirmative action totally? Do President Obama's daughters need "protected status" more than children of poverty-stricken whites in the Appalachia or poor Laotians living in a ghetto?
they may not, but arguably many or most African americans do. Some have suggested trying economic preferences for all poor people regardless of race, but some have said that could create incentives to be less successful, which race preferences do not.

Personally I think while economic background preferences are appealing, its far harder to make them gradual like progressive taxes, and the danger of incenting a family not to exceed a cut off income would be a bad thing (some universities give preference instead to those whose parents did not attend college, but that can be arbitrary in its own way). I prefer to keep the preferences based on race, and gradually to reduce the extent of their application, and the degree of weight they effectively get - the real problem is with employment law, where employment practices get stricter scrutiny when a group is underrepresented - which in theory is not a quota, or even supposed to be a preference, but giving the risk aversion of companies, tends to result in relatively hard numeric goals, and is intrinsically difficult to make into a non binary.

Really the best thing we can do, is to reduce the inequality of outcomes generally - then minor differnces in discrimination would be less important, and there would be less need for preference type remedies, racially based or otherwise.

Old 11-14-2012, 03:55 PM

Quote:
And McDonnell did this without renouncing any of his conservative views or offering free goodies.
i find it perverse that medical insurnance is considered a goody.

This "we lost because of goodies" meme is dishonest. There were no goodies on offer.

You lost because you ran assuming people couldnt read a 4 year chart, and see that most of the UE increase was during the first few months of the admin, before its policies could take effect.

Old 11-14-2012, 03:59 PM

Quote:
If you ask nicely and don't come off like racists ("citizenship for whites only! Ha ha, it was just a joke") you can get results like that, because, you see, conservatism works for everyone, regardless of color and origin.
note. McDonnel ran in 2009, an off year election.

Romney ran in 2012, a presidential election with much higher turnout.

I assume that asian americans are like other folks - the older, wealthier, and more settled are more likely to vote in off year elections than the less affluent, younger, and more mobile.

I find it very odd that all kinds of folks - from right wing racists, to triumphalist liberals, to "anti racist conservatives" all seem to assume that the dynamics that take place within the white community are so different from those within other racial groups. Seems like an excess of essentialism to me.

Old 11-14-2012, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Personally I think while economic background preferences are appealing, its far harder to make them gradual like progressive taxes,.
Don't we do that with the Earned Income Tax Credit? That was a Nixon/Ford initiative I believe. I've always been a big fan of Friedman's negative income tax which was the basis for it. Transfer payments are a lot more efficient than in-kind programs run by expensive bureaucrats. Same thing with our overseas food assistance programs. Give them cash so they can develop their own farm economies.

These are things the Republicans could run on that would win moderate votes. Rather than be 100%ers, trade off a little more redistribution for cutting the size of government.

You want to win Latino votes? Tell them low earners won't have to pay taxes and will get bigger credits

Old 11-14-2012, 06:31 PM

Quote:
I do have some ideas on how to get the country back but there is no point posting it here. Argue with you later. Thanks.
We're not going back. Forward.

I'm almost scared to ask how you think you're going to. May I suggest support of Planned Parenthood?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia