Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2013, 08:30 AM

367 posts, read 884,853 times

Advertisements

Hello All.

Our condo went under contract in one day! So we are trying to figure out our next move move, we are staying with inlaws until we figure it out. There are brand new build SFH in Round Hill for the price of a townhome in Leesburg/Ashburn/Sterling or if we are fast and lukcy a nice short sale SFH. We work in Sterling and Chantilly, for now I never rule out if we would need to find another job and if so we might have to work closer to the beltway.

Townhomes seem to have the same square footage as SFH. Would you go out to Round Hill for the SFH or get a nice big townhome or wait for a good short sale?

FYI, we are a couple in a late twenties with a 1 year old and would like to try for another early next year.
We also currently been living in leesburg.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2013, 08:42 AM

9,879 posts, read 14,131,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmv101010 View Post
Hello All.

Our condo went under contract in one day! So we are trying to figure out our next move move, we are staying with inlaws until we figure it out. There are brand new build SFH in Round Hill for the price of a townhome in Leesburg/Ashburn/Sterling or if we are fast and lukcy a nice short sale SFH. We work in Sterling and Chantilly, for now I never rule out if we would need to find another job and if so we might have to work closer to the beltway.

Townhomes seem to have the same square footage as SFH. Would you go out to Round Hill for the SFH or get a nice big townhome or wait for a good short sale?

FYI, we are a couple in a late twenties with a 1 year old and would like to try for another early next year.
We also currently been living in leesburg.
Personally, in this area, I think the only benefit of a SFH is a larger yard. But, if you don't need it for dogs, or aren't an avid gardener, it's not necessary. I can't think of a townhome community around here that doesn't have ample play areas for the tots. Round Hill is really far should your jobs change and move closer in.

Old 03-05-2013, 09:19 AM

4,041 posts, read 4,962,533 times
We lived in Purcellville so that we could have a SFH but paid the price everytime we needed to go to a big box store. My husband commuted to Sterling everyday and it was about a 20 - 25 commute in the morning as he left really early. The evenings it was 1 hour or more depending on traffic.

We had friends just sell their house in P-ville so they could move closer in because the wife was commuting from Herndon (28 near the Hyatt) and it was taking her 90 minutes every night. They have a one year old as well and they weren't getting alot of time with her in the evenings. They traded the space so they would have more time with their child.

Last edited by Riley09swb; 03-05-2013 at 09:46 AM..

Old 03-05-2013, 09:26 AM

1,529 posts, read 2,265,055 times
The main reason we wanted to move from a TH to a SFH is a safer area for our son to play. In the TH community where we lived, the older kids would routinely run/bike into the parking lot and saw a couple of near misses. Way too many blind spots with cars on both sides of the street. When your kids are young and need supervision outside at all times, it isn't a big deal, but when they get a little older and want to play basketball, tag, slipe and slides,etc it's nice to have a front yard and a backyard.

Old 03-05-2013, 09:33 AM

Thank you Riley, traffic was really that terrible on 7 between leesburg and p-ville?

Old 03-05-2013, 09:45 AM

4,041 posts, read 4,962,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmv101010 View Post
Thank you Riley, traffic was really that terrible on 7 between leesburg and p-ville?
Yes. Rte 7 was the worst and Rte 9 wasn't much better. Route 7 opened up once you got past the exit for P-ville in the evening. My husband worked until 5 but even going through at 4 or 4:30 was still rough.

My office is over by Reston Town Center and it used to take me 2 hours both ways to get to work. I used to leave around 7 - 7:15am and then I would leave the office about 3:45pm. I only made the trip twice and I'm glad I worked from home the rest of the time.

Before we moved to Charlotte we lived in Sterling (off of 28 Dominion Station) in a townhouse. Granted we didn't have kids then as we do now. Friends of ours just bought over in Countryside. They have a great SFH in a Cul-de-sac. Take a look around at the short sales or even the foreclosures.

Old 03-05-2013, 10:16 AM

Thank you, it's so appealing to have a brand new built in the low 300's but I was scared of the drive and being further out, coming from the stephens city/winchester area I swore I would never go west again and leesburg was my absolute cutoff, everyone wants the american dream cookie cutter house!

Old 03-05-2013, 11:57 AM

3 posts, read 10,025 times
Before you make the decision to buy in Western Loudoun, check into these cost items:

* Town property taxes (land and car) if buying in Purcellville or Leesburg
* The cost of water/sewer (much higher in Purcellville than Leesburg, for instance)
* The cost of propane vs. natural gas
* Toll road usage (to reduce longer commute times)

If you buy a home impacted by any of these, it may even out the cost analysis when comparing a home in (c)Ashburn/Leesburg vs. Purcellville/Round Hill. The house payment may be higher in Ashburn, but when you factor in town taxes, propane costs, higher water costs, and possibly toll road usage; the monthly living costs in Ashburn/Leesburg may end up being less.

If you will commute to the beltway at some point and want to live in Loudoun, the most cost effective location to live in Loudoun county, in my opinion, is Leesburg or the areas just outside the town limits of Leesburg. In any case, Loudoun is one of the most expensive places to live in the USA. But everyone here reading this already knows that.

For disclosure, I live in Western Loudoun on the Blue Ridge.

Old 03-05-2013, 12:03 PM

What are thought on round hill develpoing more and building up? Do you think in time home prices w value would go up or is it just too far out.

Old 03-05-2013, 12:10 PM

Are purcellville and round hill the same or are they billed differently?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia