Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2012, 01:49 PM

5,759 posts, read 10,719,093 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineVA View Post
(Your post.)
Yeah, I guess it depends on what you mean by "fixer-upper." A lot of people go "eewww!" when they see a non-granite countertop.

Our first house was a 2BR/1BA, 800SF bungalow. Everything was outdated. We updated as we could, over a few years. Now we have a slightly larger house that is also in need of updating--which we're once again doing incrementally. But we've discovered that it's easy to get used to 1940s Formica countertops.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2012, 01:52 PM

12,905 posts, read 15,650,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlingtonian View Post
Yeah, I guess it depends on what you mean by "fixer-upper." A lot of people go "eewww!" when they see a non-granite countertop.

Our first house was a 2BR/1BA, 800SF bungalow. Everything was outdated. We updated as we could, over a few years. Now we have a slightly larger house that is also in need of updating--which we're once again doing incrementally. But we've discovered that it's easy to get used to 1940s Formica countertops.

I'm just shocked at how much it costs to "update". My 17 y/o house still has non-granite. I "updated" them about 8 years ago. The cost for formica was $3,000. The cost for granite was $11,000. I just couldn't do it. Then there's the windows, the bathrooms that need new tile, the deck needs redone. The list never ends and everything is pricey.

Old 10-30-2012, 01:57 PM

564 posts, read 1,493,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineVA View Post
I agree with this but want to clarify something.

We were always in the position of the OP: we could afford a house but after that, we had no real good cashflow for "fixing up" or having anything major fail. My first home was an 18 month old townhouse that needed no fixing up. When I moved to a SFH (in PWC), I had the choice of either buying in FFX Co for $300,000 and getting a "fixer upper" or getting a brand new house in PWC for $220,000 and knowing I didn't need to spend any money on it for many years. I really wanted to live in FFX and still do; however, there was no way I could afford that mortgage and deal with a fixer-upper. I just didn't have the money. So here I sit in my 17 year old home that has now turned into a fixer upper!!!!

Seriously, though, if the OP buys closer in and gets a fixer upper, her housing budget for that fixer upper is going to have to come DOWN so that she can afford to make the necessary repairs.

I think it depends on whether it's a true fixer. Many older homes do have major repair issues and fixing up to do. I can see why you didn't want to take on the risk in your situation.

Other houses have been cared for quite well over the years and really aren't massive maintenance hassles, but are rather outdated. My house has had some issues but overall was cared for well, had newer windows, water heater, air conditiner, etc. Some people would call it a "fixer upper" but it really wasn't. The bathrooms were yellow and blue, sure, but everything worked properly. We just waited until we could afford to remodel, and then I got to feel the satisfaction of having made something nice myself, rather than having just purchased it.

Some folks think that outdated means unlivable and it doesn't. Hate it when you watch house hunters and they see the dreaded laminate counter tops and exclaim "well, this is something we'd have to fix right away before we moved in!"

Old 10-30-2012, 02:16 PM

14,129 posts, read 31,238,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottfs View Post
I think it depends on whether it's a true fixer. Many older homes do have major repair issues and fixing up to do. I can see why you didn't want to take on the risk in your situation.

Other houses have been cared for quite well over the years and really aren't massive maintenance hassles, but are rather outdated. My house has had some issues but overall was cared for well, had newer windows, water heater, air conditiner, etc. Some people would call it a "fixer upper" but it really wasn't. The bathrooms were yellow and blue, sure, but everything worked properly. We just waited until we could afford to remodel, and then I got to feel the satisfaction of having made something nice myself, rather than having just purchased it.

Some folks think that outdated means unlivable and it doesn't. Hate it when you watch house hunters and they see the dreaded laminate counter tops and exclaim "well, this is something we'd have to fix right away before we moved in!"
I just tell visitors that I have an agreement with the Smithsonian to maintain the house in its original style for posterity.

Old 10-30-2012, 07:38 PM

8 posts, read 10,139 times
Well I have to ask this question- what about buying a more modern home/townhome now and once the baby is ready to go to school in 4-5 years selling and buying an older (or newer) SFH in the city we ultimately plan on settling in? This may seem naive but I have a hard time buying an older home now in a good school district when my daughter can't even crawl yet I have a hard time committing to a "forever home" right now (I'm 32). However, we know for a fact we want to stay in NOVA.

As someone mentioned earlier we don't have the funds to do a lot of renovation and an already updated place would be ideal.

To those who suggest we rent a larger space vs buying: I've found 3 bedroom townhomes renting for $3000---wouldn't it make more sense to buy instead and have a lower monthly payment?

Thanks again

Last edited by Kacy007; 10-30-2012 at 07:47 PM..

Old 10-30-2012, 08:07 PM

4,489 posts, read 10,941,268 times
3 bedroom townhomes don't have to cost $3000! We rented a great 3 bedroom SFH in N. Springfield for $1950 last year. There are much more affordable options out there.

Run the numbers here for similar properties: Is It Better to Buy or Rent? - Interactive Graphic - NYTimes.com

If your plan is only to hold the property for 4-5 years, it's risky to assume you will make out better buying.

Old 10-30-2012, 08:31 PM

8 posts, read 10,139 times
Thanks for the link. The $3000 rentals I've found are mainly in Arlington via Craigslist search. I will look into Springfield though especially since DH works there.

Old 10-30-2012, 08:34 PM

4,489 posts, read 10,941,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kacy007 View Post
Thanks for the link. The $3000 rentals I've found are mainly in Arlington via Craigslist search. I will look into Springfield though especially since DH works there.
You have to compare similar properties though, or it's not fair. That $3000 townhome rental isn't a realistic buy for $450k either. Springfield could be great for you guys--lots of options there.

Old 10-31-2012, 05:03 AM

14,129 posts, read 31,238,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kacy007 View Post
To those who suggest we rent a larger space vs buying: I've found 3 bedroom townhomes renting for $3000---wouldn't it make more sense to buy instead and have a lower monthly payment?

Thanks again
If you buy you'll get a nice tax break so a $3,000 house payment will likely net out around $2,400 after write-offs over the normal standard deduction like mortgage interest, property, personal property and state income taxes and charitable contributions.

Old 10-31-2012, 06:50 AM

2,380 posts, read 4,513,808 times
If you are not sure where you'll go after grad school buying will be foolish.

If you want the shiny new place, then prepare to pay in commute. New house costs more + there are always new home headaches.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia