Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2012, 09:22 AM

1,532 posts, read 2,269,682 times

Advertisements

So you're currently commuting from Arlington to Catholic? Metro, car, bus? I would really consider renting close to your husbands job in Springfield and public transportation. I think this would be a real eye opener as to what you're willing to tolerate with respect to a commute.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2012, 12:34 PM

8 posts, read 10,154 times
Yes I'm driving into DC currently. But I figured if I moved further out and took public transportation or slugged that would free up some time to get work done during the commute. Any thoughts on this? Are sluggers generally less stressed by the commute? Do you anticipate the hot lanes allowing for less stress for PWC and south commuters?
Thanks

Old 10-31-2012, 01:41 PM

1,532 posts, read 2,269,682 times
Less stressed? Yes, I suppose for some, but it's really an individual kind of thing. I worked downtown for 11 years and lived all over the place. I drove sometimes from the Ballston area to 18th/M and the 6 miles could take 45 minutes. That was very stressful to me to sit in stop and go traffic for such a short ride. I've done bus to metro, just metro......frankly it got old and at one point I decided it wasn't worth it to work downtown anymore.

Picture yourself driving to public transporation, walking to bus stop/train, slug area. Waiting for train/bus/slug. Sitting in car, bus or train for the duration which might be pleasant and potentially be the chance to get work done. Get off at your destination and then walk to your office. I don't think most people realize that the first and last leg of this journey can really add up in the total time getting to work day in and day out.

I actually live in Bristow and first moved here in 2003 out of financial necessity. We bought a SFH in 2009 and decided to stay because we like the fact that it's less congested here, the schools are good, BUT my commute is generally 40 minutes. On a bad day it can be 1 hour. I have neighbors that leave their house at 5:00 am, or take VRE and have 90-120 minute commutes one way......there is no way that would be worth it to me especially as a parent.

Old 10-31-2012, 01:59 PM

979 posts, read 1,778,409 times
I have a 7-month-old baby. When I was pregnant, we lived in our townhouse in Lake Ridge, and I was working in Merrifield. We decided to move before the baby was born because I just couldn't justify spending that much time commuting each day instead of spending it with my son. I now live in Sterling and, due to a recent job change, I now work in...STERLING. I cannot even begin to describe the amazing improvement to my overall quality of life. Nice houses are, well, nice, but the shorter commute has honestly made a bigger difference for us than I ever could have imagined. My entire family is happier and better off for it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
If you buy you'll get a nice tax break so a $3,000 house payment will likely net out around $2,400 after write-offs over the normal standard deduction like mortgage interest, property, personal property and state income taxes and charitable contributions.
Assuming we get to keep mortgage interest as a deduction...

Old 10-31-2012, 06:19 PM

5,014 posts, read 6,618,202 times
I sent you a PM about a house/neighborhood you might want to consider.

Old 11-01-2012, 06:34 PM

8,984 posts, read 21,194,328 times
As a reminder, only generic MLS sites such as realtor.com can be referenced on the forum. Realtor-driven sites are considered advertising which is against the Terms of Service.
Also, if you receive unsolicited Direct Messages from a realtor or individual that is selling their own home, you have the right to report the member's action to a moderator.

Old 11-02-2012, 04:32 AM

14,129 posts, read 31,291,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jillybean720 View Post
IAssuming we get to keep mortgage interest as a deduction...
Well you know what you can do about that next Tuesday.

Old 11-02-2012, 11:20 AM

1,339 posts, read 3,470,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
Well you know what you can do about that next Tuesday.
Why wait until Tuesday?

Old 11-02-2012, 01:58 PM

979 posts, read 1,778,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kutra11 View Post
Why wait until Tuesday?
Because, sadly, I have no qualification for early voting. I wish, though...I wish VA would join the other states that have true early voting and not just absentee voting. But that is for another thread
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia