Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2012, 03:45 PM

251 posts, read 933,934 times

Advertisements

I was reading an article that quoted the Colorado State Police saying far more warnings are issued than actual speeding tickets. It got me thinking-has anyone ever actually gotten just a warning here in VA? I've only been pulled over once in my life (10 years ago) and I got a ticket. But I can't recall hearing stories from friends and family regarding getting just a warning. Seems every story involves getting an actual ticket. What's your experience?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2012, 04:06 PM

26,699 posts, read 41,737,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elacklen View Post
I was reading an article that quoted the Colorado State Police saying far more warnings are issued than actual speeding tickets. It got me thinking-has anyone ever actually gotten just a warning here in VA? I've only been pulled over once in my life (10 years ago) and I got a ticket. But I can't recall hearing stories from friends and family regarding getting just a warning. Seems every story involves getting an actual ticket. What's your experience?
I got pulled over one night in Ballston for not having my headlights on. The Arlington cop was looking for drunk drivers since it was 11pm and i said me and my roommate were coming from the bar but werent drinking. He had me get out of the car and had me do some sobriety tests like follow the pen with your eyes. When he asked about the headlights, I explained since I just got the car I didn't notice they were not on since I thought the daytime lights were sufficient. (It had to have been the first time I drove the car at night.) I think he bought it since I had the temp tags and registration on me. Basically he let me go with no ticket since I turned the headlights on in front of him and he saw they were working.

Oh and I discovered my new car has automatic headlights.

Old 11-02-2012, 04:56 PM

939 posts, read 1,893,003 times
I've been pulled over multiple times in Virginia, once in WV and once in MD. Both times in VA were speed trap type situations (cop camping out right after a lowered speed limit sign on a road designed for higher), and they were both clearly revenue generation, circumstances did not matter. In contrast, I got pulled doing 83 in a 65 in MD and the officer told me that if I had been going a few MPH faster, he'd have to write me a ticket.

The difference in VA is that they're too afraid to raise the taxes to pay for services, so they engage in massive revenue generation via preying on drivers. Anyone remember the multi-thousand dollar speeding fines they tried to levy to ONLY Va state residents a few years ago until they pulled over their first lawyer and were sued into submission?

Old 11-02-2012, 04:58 PM

314 posts, read 400,896 times
I did actually receive a real warning paper from a cop for driving over speed limit in school zone. I was driving 40 over 35 when got pull over. He asked for DL and registration and proceed to gave me a warning. I guess he figure I didn't see the flashing lights.

Old 11-02-2012, 05:00 PM

2,136 posts, read 5,311,006 times
A few years ago my husband was driving us on the Greenway eastbound on a Sunday. At the toll plaza, the speed limit is 25 or such, and he zipped right through the EZ-Pass lane (barrier was up) doing at least 45. State trooper pulled us over and took his info. He asked if my husband knew that the speed limit drops through the toll plaza, and my husband said, "I don't know. I take the Greenway every day to work, but I've never been able to do anything close to the speed limit during rush hour - we just inch along." The trooper laughed, said he wouldn't give him a ticket this time, please be sure to obey the limit in the future.

This isn't NOVA-specific - although it involves a Nova. I was pulled over outside Atlanta in my first car (a 1986 Nova - this was 1995) for speeding in a parking lot. I was surprised (and scared - I was 22 and had never been pulled over before) and I told the cop that I was sure that I hadn't been speeding. She had me get back in (but made my friend get out and wait with her, insurance that I wouldn't take off) and drive around at a constant speed while she took readings. Surprise, the car's speedometer was way off. She told me to get it fixed and wrote no ticket.

Old 11-02-2012, 05:34 PM

1,304 posts, read 2,426,319 times
It does happen. I would say most often in situations where either the cop was simply looking for a "bigger score" like DUI, drugs, outstanding warrants, etc or in cases where you did something stupid (or didn't realize your mistake) and the cop feels obligated to pull you over and yell it at you, but doesn't feel like going through the paperwork of writing a ticket.

Old 11-02-2012, 05:53 PM

1,256 posts, read 4,195,692 times
I once got a warning from a Fairfax County cop that I was outraged to get (*) so I asked for his supervisor. The supervisor came out and said "This is a private road, we have no jurisdiction, I'll take care of that" and took back the warning!

===
(*) something like following too closely leading up to an accident with the van in front of me - long story - he pulled in front of me at the last moment - I photographed everything and the insurance companies, after arbitration, found in my favor.

Old 11-02-2012, 10:31 PM

564 posts, read 1,493,879 times
For all the horror stories I read on here about Virginia police, I still have never been pulled over here. Got a verbal warning for going 105 in a 75 years ago in Arizona...that's the best I've ever done.

Old 11-03-2012, 08:57 AM

4,437 posts, read 8,129,798 times
This was about 14-15 years ago. I was driving home at night and I got pulled over. I wasn't speeding so I thought it was kind of weird. PWC cop pulled me over 'cause I didn't have any rear lights on. I thought it was odd 'cause my headlights were working just fine, but sure enough no brake/running lights. He said he couldn't allow me to keep driving as it was unsafe even though I was only a few miles away from home. Well he followed me to a 7-11 and I called my parents to pick me up. I got the car back to my house the next morning and I found that a fuse had blown and took out all the rear lights.

I guess he could have written me up for unsafe equipment or some such, but I was glad not to have a ticket that night.

I've had my share of speeding tickets since. One cop let me slide and gave me a "failure to use a seatbelt" versus a speeding ticket since he said that was a non-moving violation.

Old 11-03-2012, 10:14 AM

15,431 posts, read 25,811,329 times
I was riding in my friend's car and drinking a Mountain Dew. When a state police car was passing, I waved with the bottle (back when they were made of glass). The cop slowed down and pulled us over. He put my friend through sobriety checks even though I showed him it was a Mountain Dew. My friend was really mad when I told him i had saluted the cop with the bottle. I like cops and I was just being friendly. No ticket, but he did warn about drinking and driving.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia