Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2012, 02:53 PM

9,775 posts, read 15,776,851 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by puggirl85 View Post
This is a strange thread. No one has asked why the OP wants to know where the homeless hang out?
OP here. Well, I was hoping to find an intersection that isn't being used. Seriously, I did explain why if you read through the thread. We just moved from NoVA to Chapel Hill. Having lived in NoVa for 12 years, I don't recall seeing many panhandlers on the streets there, but I didn't travel throughout the region that much, mostly staying in Vienna. Now that I moved to the Triangle, I see panhandlers at lots of intersections. I was wondering if they were as widespread up there and I just didn't notice them (looking at Vienna through my rose-colored glasses again!) or if the economy is just much worse here or city/county officials aren't as good at keeping panhandling under control.

Based on replies, it seems like there is more in NoVA than I realized.

ETA: I just looked at my original post, and it would seem strange to someone who doesn't recognize my name, considering it says I don't live in NoVA. I've been a regular on the NoVA forum on C-D for a couple of years now and just moved away earlier this year, to put the question in perspective.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2012, 03:13 PM

143 posts, read 385,325 times
They stand out in Durham because they are required to have a permit to panhandle (I think the vests are a requirement). Most of those people are not homeless but travel up from Florida. I have seen a few homeless people since moving to VA but not too many panhandlers.

Old 11-07-2012, 03:25 PM

187 posts, read 442,700 times
I've been approached a couple of times in Fairfax County in the Toys R Us parking lot in Fair Oaks, (both times by women), and in PW County in businesses on Liberia Ave. Once a man approached me with a gas can saying he needed money for gas. The whole gas thing was a new one to me.

I did, one time, give a couple of dollars to a man i've seen in a wheelchair parked out in the KFC parking lot on Wellington Rd. next to the Giant. Call me crazy or naive, but that was the only time I did hand out some money. He was there quite a bit.

I do, however, get annoyed when i'm approached and I have my kids with me. A big NO NO! Makes me feel uneasy.

Old 11-07-2012, 03:46 PM

8,826 posts, read 15,311,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetAsRain View Post
I've been approached a couple of times in Fairfax County in the Toys R Us parking lot in Fair Oaks, (both times by women), and in PW County in businesses on Liberia Ave. Once a man approached me with a gas can saying he needed money for gas. The whole gas thing was a new one to me.

I did, one time, give a couple of dollars to a man i've seen in a wheelchair parked out in the KFC parking lot on Wellington Rd. next to the Giant. Call me crazy or naive, but that was the only time I did hand out some money. He was there quite a bit.

I do, however, get annoyed when i'm approached and I have my kids with me. A big NO NO! Makes me feel uneasy.
We were just approached at that Toys R Us lot last weekend. The lady had a notecard which said she had kids and needed money. We just said "no".

Old 11-07-2012, 07:03 PM

339 posts, read 836,693 times
Will the silver line bring the homeless to Tysons?

Old 11-07-2012, 07:18 PM

254 posts, read 423,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michgc View Post
Where in NoVA do you see homeless people standing on street corners?
Street corners? We talkin' 'bout street corners (Allen Iverson reference lol)

I've seen them stalking customers outside of Safeway including me. One yelled at me constantly on my way to the car.

I've seen them outside of clubs too.

I think they've moved on from street corners. I see them more often penetrating society in shopping areas.

Old 11-07-2012, 08:06 PM

499 posts, read 2,156,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarp View Post
NOVA is more of a police state than Durham, NC so I would imagine most of them get chased away by the cops. A lot of the cops in Virginia don't really care about silly things like constitutional rights.
What constitutional right are you referring to with respect to panhandling?

Old 11-08-2012, 03:34 AM

7,670 posts, read 14,234,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarp View Post
NOVA is more of a police state than Durham, NC so I would imagine most of them get chased away by the cops. A lot of the cops in Virginia don't really care about silly things like constitutional rights.
We have a rate this post positively. Why not one for rating it negative?

Tarp. You really are clueless.

Old 11-08-2012, 03:54 AM

141 posts, read 278,751 times
everyone in NOVA has a job, this thread is stupid

Old 11-08-2012, 05:31 AM

10,125 posts, read 13,979,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michgc View Post
OP here. Well, I was hoping to find an intersection that isn't being used. Seriously, I did explain why if you read through the thread. We just moved from NoVA to Chapel Hill. Having lived in NoVa for 12 years, I don't recall seeing many panhandlers on the streets there, but I didn't travel throughout the region that much, mostly staying in Vienna. Now that I moved to the Triangle, I see panhandlers at lots of intersections. I was wondering if they were as widespread up there and I just didn't notice them (looking at Vienna through my rose-colored glasses again!) or if the economy is just much worse here or city/county officials aren't as good at keeping panhandling under control.

Based on replies, it seems like there is more in NoVA than I realized.

ETA: I just looked at my original post, and it would seem strange to someone who doesn't recognize my name, considering it says I don't live in NoVA. I've been a regular on the NoVA forum on C-D for a couple of years now and just moved away earlier this year, to put the question in perspective.
I definitely understand why you made this thread and I have made a similar observation. A few weeks ago I just went down to Greensboro, NC with my wife. We were amazed at how depressed it seemed down there. There were so many homeless people out there, it was sad. We even saw people trying to sell plants out of their front yard just to make some money. Bottom line, we live in a region that have been desensitize to what is going around the country. When you step outside this region, it really is quite shocking how bad things are. That isn't to say that there aren't any in our region, but it's a noticeable difference.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia