Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2010, 08:32 AM

486 posts, read 1,666,485 times

Advertisements

I need help with public housing opportunities for someone close to me, but I'm finding that all options have either a 5 year waiting period or so, or are closed.

In a nutshell, someone close to me is going though a break-up with their fiance of 10 years. This person is in her early 60s and has been 100%dependent financially on her fiance. The woman has not worked for almost 40 years. Now that the fiance is leaving her, she is finding herself with nothing, no housing- since he is going to sell the house, and no way of supporting herself (she has been diagnosed with severe depression and stress disorders- meds help somewhat) as she is unable to work.

I am looking to bring her closer to me for support and looking at public housing assistance, but am coming up short of opportunities. Does anyone know anything I haven't found yet in terms of opportunties? She can stay with me for a while, but she cannot live with me long term.

Her total annual salary is about $9,000.

Please don't judge about her way of life (or mine for not letting her live with me indefinitely) and having been a stay at home mom or anything like that. I'm solely looking for information to help her not be homeless.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2010, 08:52 AM

1,059 posts, read 2,964,597 times
Has she consulted an attorney as to what her rights might be? It seems to me if she was in a domestic partnership with an expectation of continued support, as evidenced by the fact she was not working, she may be entitled to some help from her ex. I know if I were a judge I would award her support.

Contact your county's social services department to see what is available as far as mental health counseling, job training, etc. You are never too old to learn job skills, many people are still working at over 60 (me, for one).

Thanks for being such a good friend to her, you are a true friend.

Old 05-10-2010, 09:45 AM

628 posts, read 2,046,266 times
she may be able to get some social security disability if she is unable to (for mental reasons) work full time.

Old 05-10-2010, 12:02 PM

2,688 posts, read 6,687,057 times
http://www.fairfaxcounty.gov/rha/sen...rhousing09.pdf

Old 05-10-2010, 12:48 PM

3,164 posts, read 6,955,577 times
If she has ever worked she might be eligible for social security at 62. (I think that's the right age.) She can also get food stamps. What a shame she lived with a man that long without marriage. Had she married him she would be eligible for part of his pensions and/or retirement funds.

Old 05-10-2010, 02:33 PM

1,183 posts, read 2,892,018 times
I think I would contact legal aid right away. She may have some rights of which she is not aware.

Old 05-10-2010, 03:08 PM

486 posts, read 1,666,485 times
Thanks everyone... she clearly can't afford a lawyer, but I'll try to find some kind of legal aid for her. She's just devasted and not functioning well right now.

Old 05-10-2010, 03:32 PM

982 posts, read 3,488,599 times
Maybe social services can help with roommate recommendations? She may be able to get help from an attorney through Legal Aid. If her ex had a heart, whether or not they're together, at the very least he'd give her a little something to help her get on her feet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by liloulou View Post
I need help with public housing opportunities for someone close to me, but I'm finding that all options have either a 5 year waiting period or so, or are closed.

In a nutshell, someone close to me is going though a break-up with their fiance of 10 years. This person is in her early 60s and has been 100%dependent financially on her fiance. The woman has not worked for almost 40 years. Now that the fiance is leaving her, she is finding herself with nothing, no housing- since he is going to sell the house, and no way of supporting herself (she has been diagnosed with severe depression and stress disorders- meds help somewhat) as she is unable to work.

I am looking to bring her closer to me for support and looking at public housing assistance, but am coming up short of opportunities. Does anyone know anything I haven't found yet in terms of opportunties? She can stay with me for a while, but she cannot live with me long term.

Her total annual salary is about $9,000.

Please don't judge about her way of life (or mine for not letting her live with me indefinitely) and having been a stay at home mom or anything like that. I'm solely looking for information to help her not be homeless.

Old 05-10-2010, 03:37 PM

2,688 posts, read 6,687,057 times
It's often not permitted for a person to move just to take advantage of the public-subsidized services in the new location. So you might want to check the housing and services available where she is before moving her here.

Old 05-10-2010, 03:47 PM

2,076 posts, read 3,434,323 times
If you are in Fairfax County, there is a Coordinated Services phone number, 703-222-0880 that is answered by a social worker. It's a catch all number that can help hook up with a variety of services, depending on need. Here's a link: Coordinated Services Planning*- Fairfax County, Virginia If you're not in Fairfax, they may have a number for an equivalent service elsewhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia