Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2015, 06:28 AM

814 posts, read 914,526 times

Advertisements

Hi, I have a job offer from this dealership and was wondering if anybody knew the culture and reputation. I'm experienced in the field and have VSI and ASE certifications and was also wanting to know the average salary range in Chantilly?

I would be a commuter from Orange and before commiting I would need to have a general idea if the money is worth it. As a technician used to being around 950-1250 a week take home and everything in my area has dried up and everyone says if you want the big bucks go to NOVA.

Anyways thanks for listening and please share your insight if you have any knowledge or first hand experience with Pohanka Acura Chantilly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2015, 06:38 AM

Default Pohanka Acura, Chantilly

Hi, I have a job offer from this dealership and was wondering if anybody knew the culture and reputation. I'm experienced in the field and have VSI and ASE certifications and was also wanting to know the average salary range in Chantilly?

I would be a commuter from Orange and before commiting I would need to have a general idea if the money is worth it. As a technician used to being around 950-1250 a week take home and everything in my area has dried up and everyone says if you want the big bucks go to NOVA.

Anyways thanks for listening and please share your insight if you have any knowledge or first hand experience with Pohanka Acura Chantilly.

Old 01-22-2015, 06:46 AM

617 posts, read 1,359,447 times
Not about the Acura dealership, but I wasn't particularly pleased with the Lexus place next door owned by the same company.

For background, neither my wife or I own a Lexus. My wife's company had a fleet of company cars and a service contract in place with the Pohanka Lexus dealership. So on the plus side, company car and no repair fees. The downside is the service at Pohanka Lexus was awful, for a few reasons.

One, it was always a fight with the service people up front to locate the company contract, though they always managed to eventually. Second, the company car provided to my wife was a Toyota, not a Lexus. You'd have thought we farted in church having the gall to bring that thing in. It was like working on a Toyota was beneath them, despite the fact that the only reason we set foot in there was because we were required to if we wanted free oil changes and repairs.

I never found any of the technicians or front desk folks remotely friendly or helpful beyond the bare minimum. And we would wait for hours, I sometimes wondered if we were purposely put at the back of the line just because our car wasn't a Lexus. After the second time, we started driving two cars up so we could go somewhere instead of being stuck in their waiting room, though admittedly the waiting room was nice enough.

Anyway, I don't know if the Acura dealership is the same way. All I can say is, if you take the job and it is, please do your part to try and improve the culture there.

Old 01-22-2015, 06:46 AM

6,585 posts, read 8,454,160 times
I'm a native of Orange, and I can tell you that commute is going to be a doozy. Are you in town or the county?

I don't know the salary range for a mechanic in NoVA but the salary you are being offered should be significantly more than a salary offered in Charlottesville, Culpeper, or Fredericksburg for that commute. Have you tried finding something in those cities?

Old 01-22-2015, 07:42 AM

Somehow this thread wound up on here twice

Old 01-22-2015, 07:45 AM

Oh and will do my best to try and make the place better. I need to figure out how to close this thread cause it came on this forum twice

Old 01-22-2015, 07:47 AM

I live in the town and everything around seems too slow so I was considering the bigger money up in NoVa which also comes with bigger stress and everything else lol.

Old 01-22-2015, 08:12 AM

4,709 posts, read 12,701,143 times
I think OP is asking about the innards of this dealer from an employee's point of view. I doubt anybody here is going to know about that.

I will say that one has to be out of one's mind to take a car to ANY dealer service department...except for warranty work. Unless you like paying two or three times what a competent independent shop would charge.

Old 01-22-2015, 08:52 AM

6,585 posts, read 8,454,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STEVEN 1 View Post
I live in the town and everything around seems too slow so I was considering the bigger money up in NoVa which also comes with bigger stress and everything else lol.
You'd be on the road at least 4 hours a day. I know of a couple of people who do the Orange to NoVA/DC commute but that's something I, personally, wouldn't consider.

Old 01-22-2015, 09:12 AM

8,993 posts, read 21,219,451 times
The duplicate threads have been merged.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia