Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2013, 06:05 PM

2,380 posts, read 4,517,978 times

Advertisements

we'd want to know your desire for housing (size, age, and lot size) and your budget too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2013, 07:56 PM

447 posts, read 743,867 times
Default Fairfax and Loundon County

I am looking for your opinion here not a generalization saying that all the schools are good. Feel free to speak you mind. Tell me why you like your particular school district the best. Why did you choose it over any other. I realize that some people pick a house 1st, but we are trying to pick the school and then get the house that falls into that school district. Good point about redistricting but we might take our chances We are ruling out falls church and mclean schools for now only because of the price of real estate is a bit steep for us. I'd say our price range is $650,000 MAX on housing. Our current house is about 1600 square feet and were looking closer to 2,600 square feet for the next one. We are flexible on the house

Here's the priority when hunting:
1) Good High school system
2) House
3) Community (is there as sense of place, neighborhood HOA, Sidewalks, other kids, etc.)

Old 01-10-2013, 08:55 PM

799 posts, read 1,290,672 times
Your price range and house wants (i.e. square footage) will get you the best Loudoun County has to offer. If you want even better schools, then look in Fairfax County. The best school your money can buy? Focus on Fairfax. I think there is a diminishing return on the school investment. I looked for good enough schools because I don't think there is a significant difference beyond that.

Old 01-11-2013, 02:53 AM

14,129 posts, read 31,268,360 times
If your only options or Loudoun or Fairfax you've already taken care of the first item on your list. Now focus on where you want to live and the type of house you want. You can buy a house that size around where I live near the Parkway in Mount Vernon for that amount.

Old 01-11-2013, 04:43 AM

989 posts, read 2,857,202 times
I agree you have a healthy budget for Loudoun County. I will warn you in advance that you should very, very careful choosing a house based on school zoning because, at least in Ashburn, school boundaries are still fluid, even for the established neighborhoods. That being said, I personally feel that all of the Ashburn high schools are very god.

Old 01-11-2013, 07:43 AM

4,529 posts, read 5,141,109 times
Also take into account that most of the schools in Loudoun are much, much newer than those in Fairfax. The exceptions being Broad Run, Park View and Loudoun County. More modern facilities do make a difference in a student's over all schooling. Personally I would look for a home in Broadlands (Briar Woods High).

Old 01-11-2013, 07:53 AM

989 posts, read 2,857,202 times
Broadlands is currently zoned for Briar Woods but once the high school opens in Loudoun Valley estates it's anyone's guess what will happen. Sections of Broadlands and/ or Brambleton could be moved. It's a crazy game...

Old 01-11-2013, 08:33 AM

5,125 posts, read 10,095,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikebnllnb View Post
Also take into account that most of the schools in Loudoun are much, much newer than those in Fairfax. The exceptions being Broad Run, Park View and Loudoun County. More modern facilities do make a difference in a student's over all schooling. Personally I would look for a home in Broadlands (Briar Woods High).
They might, but so too might an experienced group of teachers and administrators who have worked together for years.

I think there are probably a handful of aging schools in Fairfax where the deterioration of the physical plant affects how people feel about the school or the educational opportunities available to the students. But, to take a contrary example, West Springfield HS was built in the 1960s and needs to be renovated, yet people remain very positive about that school, and it compares favorably to newer high schools in Loudoun.

Last edited by JD984; 01-11-2013 at 08:45 AM..

Old 01-11-2013, 11:00 AM

531 posts, read 1,429,505 times
The only places in FFX that have better schools than Loudoun are Langley, McLean, Oakton, Woodson, Madison school districts. If you cannot get a property in your price range and desired square footage in these districts, Loudoun will be a better choice in terms of house size and school combination, assuming commute is not a concern for you. With your budget, Langley and McLean are probably out of question. You may be able to find a smaller and older home in the other three school districts.

Old 01-11-2013, 11:07 AM

9,781 posts, read 15,800,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newnewsmama View Post
The only places in FFX that have better schools than Loudoun are Langley, McLean, Oakton, Woodson, Madison school districts.
What statistics are you basing that comment on?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia