Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2013, 10:22 AM

27 posts, read 36,784 times

Advertisements

My mother is retired and trying to plan a move up to northern Virginia to be closer to us, well, her granddaughter really.

Dilemma:

She has 3 tiny dogs.

Question:

Every apartment complex I have ever known seems to cap their pet allowance at 2. I have been scouring Craigslist for ads from owners yet they are flooded with apartment ads and very few personal. Realtor.com used to be a resource yet I have found the website lately to be troublesome considering their "remodel".

Does anyone know of an alternative resource I may have missed? Or any recs for a realtor? Or just your own personal success story of finding a landlord who made concessions? We are still fairly new to the area with very limited connections and I'm worried we may not be able to secure a residence for my mom.

She's trying to find a 2-bedroom within a 20 mile or so radius of the Dulles area, where we will be moving, in a safe area for preferably $1,500 or less.

Any advice is much appreciated!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2013, 10:28 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,263,596 times
I don't live in your area, but I did a quick search for you. I used the terms "pet friendly apartments Dulles, VA" Here are the results. Hope this helps. Also, considering your Mother is retired, and probably highly desired demographic by some apartment owners, you might try a letter or offering an additional pet deposit if it becomes an issue. Good luck on this.
pet friendly apartments Dulles VA - Yahoo! Search Results

Old 01-12-2013, 10:52 AM

2,612 posts, read 5,593,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VAVeg View Post
My mother is retired and trying to plan a move up to northern Virginia to be closer to us, well, her granddaughter really.

Dilemma:

She has 3 tiny dogs.

Question:

Every apartment complex I have ever known seems to cap their pet allowance at 2. I have been scouring Craigslist for ads from owners yet they are flooded with apartment ads and very few personal. Realtor.com used to be a resource yet I have found the website lately to be troublesome considering their "remodel".

Does anyone know of an alternative resource I may have missed? Or any recs for a realtor? Or just your own personal success story of finding a landlord who made concessions? We are still fairly new to the area with very limited connections and I'm worried we may not be able to secure a residence for my mom.

She's trying to find a 2-bedroom within a 20 mile or so radius of the Dulles area, where we will be moving, in a safe area for preferably $1,500 or less.

Any advice is much appreciated!!!
We were looking for same for my mom a few years ago. She had one large dog and two cats. We did find a few private rentals through craigslist. They tended to be out west a bit (which should work for you in Dulles), like around the Haymarket or Leesburg areas, for example, but usually a bit away from the towns. Rural. In the end she just bought a home, but we could have found something. 1500 may be a bit low, though - I think we were going a little higher.

Old 01-12-2013, 01:08 PM

9,887 posts, read 14,169,146 times
Another thing that most people probably do not know is that it is illegal to own more that three dogs in Arlington County, Falls Church City and City of Alexandria. Fairfax County bases their dog limits on the size of your property lot, and Loudoun sets no limit.

Old 01-12-2013, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marie5v View Post
We were looking for same for my mom a few years ago. She had one large dog and two cats. We did find a few private rentals through craigslist. They tended to be out west a bit (which should work for you in Dulles), like around the Haymarket or Leesburg areas, for example, but usually a bit away from the towns. Rural. In the end she just bought a home, but we could have found something. 1500 may be a bit low, though - I think we were going a little higher.
Funny, purchasing has actually been brought up although we were hoping to get her up to become acclimated with the area first. It's nice to hear you did come across some options and you're correct, a little more rural and west should not be an issue. We were just trying to avoid too far (a la Winchester) but Haymarket or Leesburg limits sound agreeable and hopefully doable!

Thanks!

Old 01-12-2013, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
Another thing that most people probably do not know is that it is illegal to own more that three dogs in Arlington County, Falls Church City and City of Alexandria. Fairfax County bases their dog limits on the size of your property lot, and Loudoun sets no limit.
Interesting! Would not have thought to research "dog law". Good thing her companions are fixed and of a certain age as to avoid making matters worse by multiplying!

Old 01-12-2013, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanND View Post
I don't live in your area, but I did a quick search for you. I used the terms "pet friendly apartments Dulles, VA" Here are the results. Hope this helps. Also, considering your Mother is retired, and probably highly desired demographic by some apartment owners, you might try a letter or offering an additional pet deposit if it becomes an issue. Good luck on this.
pet friendly apartments Dulles VA - Yahoo! Search Results
Most pleas have been verbal and ineffective but we'll take putting pen to paper as an option! Thanks for the idea!

Old 01-12-2013, 02:31 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,263,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VAVeg View Post
Most pleas have been verbal and ineffective but we'll take putting pen to paper as an option! Thanks for the idea!
Well, not sure it helps...But the new laws regarding someone that needs their pets for companionship....and not to say this applies to your Mom...but an example is someone w/ depression can apply to have a dog/cat even at a "no-petsl" allowed apartment...w/ a Doctor's note. Just another thing for you to explore.
Hope all goes well for you, jan

Old 01-12-2013, 02:39 PM

9,887 posts, read 14,169,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JanND View Post
.But the new laws regarding someone that needs their pets for companionship...., jan
What new law are you referring to? The federal ADA requirements for Service Dogs specifically exclude dogs only for comfort or companionship. The dog must be specifically trained to perform tasks that directly relate to your disability.

Revised ADA Requirements: Service Animals

Old 01-12-2013, 04:17 PM

4,489 posts, read 10,957,626 times
We only have one dog, but even one was difficult. I have written this on here before, but our success in finding a rental included the following:

-I made a "doggie resume" and attached it to all email correspondence with potential landlords. It included training classes we've taken, references from former landlords, and proof of vet care.
-I offered a substantial pet deposit up front (without being asked for one). We offered 1 month's rent as a security deposit, and a second month's rent as a pet deposit.
-I posted a "housing wanted" ad on Craigslist, detailing what I wanted and let potential landlords respond to me--saved me a LOT of effort sifting through non-dog friendly listings.
-I emailed out a note to my dog training group, asking if anyone knew anyone who knew anyone who had a place for rent that would accept my Lucy. Several people responded that their sister's basement was available, or their coworker had an apartment, etc. Because they knew my dog, they could vouch for her being non-destructive to their friends.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia