Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2013, 11:18 AM

564 posts, read 1,495,966 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by smarterguy View Post
Some insurance companies might have a policy like that, but I just changed my address from out of state one to my VA one. They never asked about VA plates or registration or anything like that.

And from what I hear from some motorcyclists, they don't even check to see if you have a motorcycle license before they insure your motorcycle.
You have to be really careful about changing the insurance. Don't cancel your out-of-state policy until your car is no longer registered in your old state. There is a chance your VA policy might not conform to your state's minimums and/or the the insurance company may notify your state DMV that your car is no longer insured.

When I moved from MD to VA I did everything right, but for some reason the Maryland MVA seemed to think a year and a half later that my car was still registered in MD (their mistake, even though i had mailed back the tags and received the refund for the balance of my MD registration...) but without insurance. They sent a notice to my parents house in MD that I needed to pay upwards of $4,000 in fines for failing to insure my vehicle. It was a pain to straighten out and I hadn't even made any mistakes. I'd hate to have cancelled my insurance improperly and get hit with those kinds of fines.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2013, 12:40 PM

706 posts, read 1,310,737 times
Random comment-they should do away with the car tax and replace it with a higher cigarette tax or sales tax or junk food tax. It deters people from having nice cars which cannot be good to the local economy IMO.

I heard there was talk of repealing this....but I know nothing about VA politics.

Old 01-25-2013, 08:00 PM

1 posts, read 975 times
Hi, I just moved to NoVA at the beginning of January and had a related question. I moved from NY for a 3 year job offer, and I'm unsure whether or not I'll wind up staying in VA. I was just wondering if it's mandatory for me to change my vehicle registration and driver's license to VA because I sort of want to keep my NY license and everything for now. And if so, how will I go about it if the car belongs to my brother instead of me? Thanks for your help guys
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia