Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-21-2013, 03:43 PM

7 posts, read 20,434 times

Advertisements

We have a house in Arlington, and we just started renting a second house in Atlanta (time splitting).

One of the cars I had in Virginia is now going to be in Georgia almost all the time, even on weeks I'm in Virginia (as I'll be flying back and forth). I have a Virginia license with my Arlington address, and I vote in Virginia, etc.

My vehicle tags just expired. To renew them, though, I need to have a Virginia emissions inspection, which I can't get in Georgia.

Any insight from anyone as to whether the Virginia DMV allow me to have a car be garaged out of state (waiving the northern Virginia emissions inspection requirements)?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2013, 04:20 PM

1,615 posts, read 2,142,497 times
If you are in the military, you can probably get the state to renew your registration with a letter explaining that you are currently in Georgia. If your not in the military, I suggest looking at the VDOT website for a phone number, then call them during business hours and see what they say.

Old 12-21-2013, 05:09 PM

7 posts, read 20,434 times
(Complicating this, BTW, is the fact that Georgia says they won't let me title the car down there without a Georgia drivers license, which I don't want to get, as I'm a permanent resident in Virginia.)

Old 12-21-2013, 05:42 PM

4,709 posts, read 12,675,888 times
If you tell Va DMV that the car is "garaged" (their term) out of state, then an emissions inspection is not required in order to renew your plates.

Old 12-22-2013, 12:14 PM

6,562 posts, read 8,393,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fredesch View Post
If you are in the military, you can probably get the state to renew your registration with a letter explaining that you are currently in Georgia. If your not in the military, I suggest looking at the VDOT website for a phone number, then call them during business hours and see what they say.
Not VDOT, the but DMV.

Old 12-23-2013, 06:37 PM

490 posts, read 649,844 times
See if you can fax the emissions test in. Some states allow that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia