Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2013, 08:07 AM

8,985 posts, read 21,201,008 times

Advertisements

I also like to call Northern Virginia "the United Nations" as it is as diverse as any US metro that I'm aware of. DC and the MD 'burbs would be closer to that too if not for the cost of living and relative lack of jobs, respectively.

In fact, I would hazard to guess that all of the top ten major metros are attracting a more international base of residents, especially in their "hotter" outlying job centers. In that vein, NOVA may not necessarily be the "model" American metro but it may be the typical one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2013, 09:17 AM

8,868 posts, read 12,584,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stateofnature View Post
You wrote "most are ethnic minorities from around the world." You're wrong. 55% of Northern Virginia is white, which by definition means they can't be an "ethnic minority," regardless of where in the world they are born.

I resemble that remark

Its true that the usage of "ethnic" has evolved since michael Novak wrote The rise of the unmeltable ethnics: politics and culture in the seventies - Michael Novak - Google Books

and esp in NoVa, where most jewish, italian, irish, polish etc, americans are pretty "melted"

Old 01-24-2013, 09:21 AM

281 posts, read 751,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tone509 View Post
I also like to call Northern Virginia "the United Nations" as it is as diverse as any US metro that I'm aware of. DC and the MD 'burbs would be closer to that too if not for the cost of living and relative lack of jobs, respectively.

In fact, I would hazard to guess that all of the top ten major metros are attracting a more international base of residents, especially in their "hotter" outlying job centers. In that vein, NOVA may not necessarily be the "model" American metro but it may be the typical one.
I don't think that the typical resident of the DC area has any idea how much more ethnic diversity there is in the area than the so called typical Metro area. Yes NYC, LA and San Francisco have a wide range of immigrants but no place else even comes close. Many so called diverse areas are mostly Hispanic like Miami. There is just a larger number of people here in NOVA from all over the world, many from countries other cities don't see much immigration from.

Last edited by Old Tired Man; 01-24-2013 at 10:30 AM..

Old 01-24-2013, 10:42 AM

244 posts, read 566,624 times
I get what Old Tired Man is trying to say, but some of the raw data claims are debatable and need backup analysis. I agree that NoVA's mixture of race and culture is more homogeneous and less concentrated than other minority-rich locations like NY and CA. It's worldly without the typical cultural divide and attitude.

Another benefit is that due to the presence of the federal government, a lot of the really bad crime, especially gang related, avoid the area. Baltimore takes up the slack in that regard.

Old 01-24-2013, 10:46 AM

9,781 posts, read 15,820,242 times
Posted by Old Tired Man:

"Also, we have almost a majority of people who are either "people of color," or come from a recent immigrant background. It is a true United Nations here with kids and adults from pretty much every country in the world completely overwhelming the ever decreasing number of white American Born residents. "

Overwhelming the white American born residents in what way? Are they overwhelming the black American born residents? How about the Asian American born residents or the Hispanic born residents? Who is doing the "overwhelming" - the non-white American born residents or the recent immigrants? If non-white Americans, how do they overwhelm the white Americans? If recent immigrants, are immigrants from England, Australia, Germany, Austria, Canada, and France included in this group doing the overwhelming or is only those from a selct group of countries? Please clarify what you mean.

"It seems like about half the people I interact with here in Northern VA has an accent and are from countries I have never heard of."

You never heard of half of the countries that people you interact with are from? If you don't mind me asking, what kind of education do you have? Do you watch the Olympics? Read a newspaper? Learning the names of the world's countries is pretty basic. Sure, there are new ones now and again, but the majority of countries should be known by most American-born citizens with a basic education. If you are representative of US citizens as a whole, then I am concerned too - concerned about the lack of knowledge of the world's countries - not the fact that there are so many of them represented in Washington, DC.

By the way, did you know that EVERYONE in the world has an accent? It's true. No one speaks without one. Even you have an accent.

"Yes, the demographics of America is changing, but a long cross country drive across America showed that OUTSIDE of the DC and NY areas most of America is still white dominated. Outside of maybe a few big cities like New York and LA, the level of ethnic diversity of the DC area is unique, even in a changing America."

DC has always been a unique area. As the capital of the country it is home to most of the world's embassies. With the embassies come workers from all over the world. Also, some say DC is the capital of the free world. That invites politicians from all over. It is also a major US city. Immigrants from other countires often land in major cities because that is where most of the jobs are. Are you new to the DC area that you are not aware of these basic points?

I LOVE cross-country drives across America. It shows the richness and diversity of our great nation and I learn a great deal about its history.
-I love to visit New Orleans and taste the foods and hear the music of the Creole and Cajun influence.
-I enjoy driving to Florida and eating Cuban food and learning about the Spanish and Seminole history in that state.
-I enjoy the German influence in Philadelphia, my hometown. Oh and I cannot forget the Polish and Italian influence, too. Yum!
-NYC has so many cultures represented, it's hard to pick one that stands out. But I imagine NYC would not be one of the world's greatest destinations without artists on Broadway, restaurants from most every nation on the planet and music, clothing, and nightlife dominated by people born around the world.
-In Texas and New Mexico, I love seeing the Mexican influence in architecture, and I especially enjoy tasting it in their food.
-Northern California is one-of-a-kind. I love visiting Chinatown and learning about the Chinese who helped build the Transcontinental Railroad across this great country of ours.
-Southern California is great, too. Without the Mexicans who emigrated there since early in the last century and worked the agricultural fields, we'd have far fewer fruits and veggies on our tables.
-The Plains States are fascinating. It's like being in a history book crossing them and remembering all of the natives who used to live on the land before the early Americans came through.
-Let's not forget the south, the land where I currently live where Africans were brought here, against their will, hundreds of years ago to work the fields and run the homes of wealthy and middle-class landowners. Many of these families have been here longer than some white American families. Huh.

It is great taking a drive across America. I enjoy seeing all Americans living in their diverse surroundings, learning about how they uniquely contributed to the history of America, and how each place is constantly changing and growing. It sure makes for an interesting drive.

But, of course there is no place like Washington, DC where our newly inaugurated (for the second time) African-American President lives just down the street from where the US Constitution and the Declaration of Independence, written by all white men, are housed declaring that, "All men are created equal." Isn't the diversity of Washington, DC and the United States great?

Last edited by michgc; 01-24-2013 at 11:20 AM..

Old 01-24-2013, 11:00 AM

8,868 posts, read 12,584,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michgc View Post
Posted by Old Tired Man:

Overwhelming the white American born residents in what way? Are they overwhelming the black American born residents? ?

The black american born residents are overwhelmed in certain parts of DC. The folks complaining about that, like a certain WaPo columnist, generally prefer not to mention particular groups that are doing the overwhelming, although it seems to be people who like bike lanes, dog parks, and frozen yogurt

Old 01-24-2013, 12:33 PM

2,462 posts, read 8,932,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Tired Man View Post
I don't think that the typical resident of the DC area has any idea how much more ethnic diversity there is in the area than the so called typical Metro area.
YOU might have been stunned to drive across the country and find that many smaller metro areas and towns are actually majority-white, but since many residents of the DC area -- typical or otherwise -- were either born or spent considerable time elsewhere, I don't think they are quite as clueless as you suggest.

Having said that, I should note that one of DH's former grad students, a South American diplomat's son born and raised in Bethesda, took a job in Rochester NY, and was stunned to discover the presence of poor WHITE people, a demographic null set in Bethesda.

Old 01-24-2013, 02:42 PM

281 posts, read 751,700 times
Interesting point. Where are all the white working class people who used to do the physical/blue collar jobs? Up to 20 years ago there were lots of white working class types in NOVA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by claremarie View Post
YOU might have been stunned to drive across the country and find that many smaller metro areas and towns are actually majority-white, but since many residents of the DC area -- typical or otherwise -- were either born or spent considerable time elsewhere, I don't think they are quite as clueless as you suggest.

Having said that, I should note that one of DH's former grad students, a South American diplomat's son born and raised in Bethesda, took a job in Rochester NY, and was stunned to discover the presence of poor WHITE people, a demographic null set in Bethesda.

Old 01-24-2013, 05:16 PM

14,129 posts, read 31,300,741 times
Quote:
Interesting point. Where are all the white working class people who used to do the physical/blue collar jobs? Up to 20 years ago there were lots of white working class types in NOVA.
Manassas and Woodbridge.

Old 01-24-2013, 06:40 PM

1,403 posts, read 2,154,237 times
Quote:
Just because they are white in the census does not mean they did not come from an immigrant background from places like Russia, The Middle East, South America and Eastern Europe. People in Northern VA are not the typical White American Born 6th Generation folks you will see in Omaha.
I lived pretty close to Omaha at one point (Nebraska Furniture Mart and Borsheim's anyone?). Omaha is about 70% white, the rest split between blacks and Hispanics. It's more diverse than you apparently think because your image of Obama seems to be "lily white."

Maybe you were thinking small town Iowa -- where I lived for some time too -- where the population can be close to 100% white. And not just white, but almost entirely Western (or Germanic) European (German, English, Scandinavian or Dutch). Outside of the very rural Midwest, however, places like that which are completely devoid of those of Eastern European, Mediterranean, black or Hispanic ancestry have been very rare for some time now.

In any case, my assessment of this area is it IS fairly unique. Most areas that have both high levels of education and ethnic diversity tend to be politically very leftist with all that entails (high urbanization, low marriage rate, low fertility, low church attendance, high Gini coefficient, etc.).

This area, in contrast, is relatively suburban-exurban, has high marriage rates, high fertility, high church attendance, low Gini coefficient and so on. When you have all that AND good Vietnamese, Korean, Indian or [insert ethnic cuisine of choice] food, that's a pretty good deal on top of the excellent economy.
Quote:
Yes, the demographics of America is changing, but a long cross country drive across America showed that OUTSIDE of the DC and NY areas most of America is still white dominated. Outside of maybe a few big cities like New York and LA, the level of ethnic diversity of the DC area is unique, even in a changing America.
There are plenty of areas in this country where there are sizable populations of non-WASPs of varying flavors. I'd say what's somewhat unusual about NoVA is the relatively high percentage of Asian population, which is rarely seen outside the West Coast and Hawaii. And what Asian population there is in this area tends to be pretty affluent, regardless of their origin status. This area isn't a traditional fresh-off-the-boat feeder like NY or LA.
Quote:
There is just a larger number of people here in NOVA from all over the world, many from countries other cities don't see much immigration from.
This might be true, although again, unlike NY or LA, this area doesn't really have ethnic ghettos that absorb lower class immigrants. But you are right that you see some unusual immigrants here such as Mongolians.
Quote:
Originally Posted by claremarie View Post
Hear, hear. I've lived and worked on three continents and many states in this country, everything from tiny town Iowa in the middle, to NYC/LA on the coasts, from New England village North to small town South.
Quote:
Bethesdans need to visit Appalachia right at their (and our) backdoor once in a while. After that, terms like "white privilege" will be hard to swallow with a straight face.
Quote:
Take a short trip to the outer edges of NoVA. Or a nice ride to Hampton Roads. There you will find work crews doing manual labor comprised of half whites and half blacks (Hispanic population is much lower there than here and Asian population virtually nonexistent).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia