Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-06-2013, 08:05 AM

1,344 posts, read 4,768,395 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliTerp07 View Post
The good news is they are all still employees of their company, so if they can find another project/client to roll them on they are all still fine. The bad news is that 3 other major clients had the same announcement yesterday, so there are definitely surplus people around DC. I don't know what his company's presence is in other cities to know if traveling weekly is a realistic option.
Yeah, but you gotta remember that all the people that had their contracts cut are looking for other contracts to jump on as well.

They'll get put on standby by the contractor if they're lucky for a month or two if nothing pops up, but after that, its layoff time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2013, 08:29 AM

4,489 posts, read 10,953,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smarterguy View Post
Yeah, but you gotta remember that all the people that had their contracts cut are looking for other contracts to jump on as well.

They'll get put on standby by the contractor if they're lucky for a month or two if nothing pops up, but after that, its layoff time.
That's exactly what I meant when I said there are surplus people in the area. I worked in the industry for 5 years--generally you have 6-8 weeks of time on "the bench" before they start striking people, slightly less if you have a low performance history, slightly more if you're historically a rock star. You can sneak in some internal work during this time to extend your life on the bench as well.

What you can't do is be picky. If they find you a project in Omaha, NE, you have to be willing to jump on a plane tomorrow. As soon as you turn down work, you're on the naughty list.

Old 02-06-2013, 10:59 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,111,421 times
CaliTerp--sorry to hear your news. What a bummer, but I'm glad to see you're being realistic about how to deal with it. Another bummer about this whole thing is people may be offered jobs quite a distance from their house. In better years, you could turn down a job offer with a horrid commute, but that's not a smart move these days.

Old 02-06-2013, 11:09 AM

Does anyone happen to know what will happen to the people who are in the pipeline to get a full poly? Will they still need them or will there be some sort of freeze on issuing any more of them?

Old 02-06-2013, 11:27 AM

1,344 posts, read 4,768,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
Does anyone happen to know what will happen to the people who are in the pipeline to get a full poly? Will they still need them or will there be some sort of freeze on issuing any more of them?
Depends on the agency, the hiring office, and probably a few other things. Things are still moving at a few places I know of...

Old 02-06-2013, 05:25 PM

14,129 posts, read 31,280,397 times
Quote:
CaliTerp--sorry to hear your news. What a bummer, but I'm glad to see you're being realistic about how to deal with it. Another bummer about this whole thing is people may be offered jobs quite a distance from their house. In better years, you could turn down a job offer with a horrid commute, but that's not a smart move these days.
Is work from home not an option? I just took a new job in my company that I targeted based on the fact that it can be done remotely. Granted most all my work is done on a PC and over the phone. I won't be leaving the couch from which I do my current job. My new boss works from home in the Midwest. My wife also works for a large company from home. I would think there would be such opportunities in most large nationwide or global companies. Perhaps expand your search beyond services performed only in this area.

Last edited by CAVA1990; 02-06-2013 at 05:35 PM..

Old 02-06-2013, 05:29 PM

290 posts, read 548,159 times
Quote:
Don't worry. There is still a great need. Contractor cuts at that level will not be anywhere near DOD levels.

Old 02-06-2013, 09:38 PM

708 posts, read 1,206,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliTerp07 View Post
My husband called me from work yesterday. He is a consultant for one of the big name firms. His agency (a Navy client) has no money, and has shut down all projects effective Friday. They went from a project of 100 to a project of 3 (keeping on only a few people to do maintenance work on existing systems). He is one of the few staying on, and was told that "maybe" he would have a team back by May or June. If not by then, they'd let him go as well.
Sorry to hear that. That's exactly what I mean by people need to brush up on their resumes and stop acting like this won't happen.

Old 02-07-2013, 06:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
Is work from home not an option? I just took a new job in my company that I targeted based on the fact that it can be done remotely. Granted most all my work is done on a PC and over the phone. I won't be leaving the couch from which I do my current job. My new boss works from home in the Midwest. My wife also works for a large company from home. I would think there would be such opportunities in most large nationwide or global companies. Perhaps expand your search beyond services performed only in this area.
Great idea, as long as you're not doing work that requires a secret clearance. It would be great if that option could help out CaliTerp's husband (and others in this situation). By the way, just as a clarification, I'm watching this unfold as a bystander who lives in the area and has family and friends going through this. I'm not looking for work, though. I retired last month.

Old 02-07-2013, 06:45 AM

14,129 posts, read 31,280,397 times
Quote:
Great idea, as long as you're not doing work that requires a secret clearance. It would be great if that option could help out CaliTerp's husband (and others in this situation). By the way, just as a clarification, I'm watching this unfold as a bystander who lives in the area and has family and friends going through this. I'm not looking for work, though. I retired last month.
There are plenty of secret clearance jobs done working from home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia