Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2013, 11:27 PM

1,403 posts, read 2,153,232 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by vermonter16 View Post
How about Clarendon or Courthouse in Arlington?
I second Clarendon -- good access to DC via the Metro and a large presence of young people in the area. And also reasonable real estate costs for the proximity.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GMUAlum08 View Post
she's going to miss Palo Alto that's for sure
No kidding. Palo Alto = 20 single male millionaires per 1 average looking female; DC 20 highly-educated single females per 1 average looking male. Or so my former subordinates who are singles tell me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2013, 10:47 PM

3 posts, read 4,198 times
Thanks to everyone for the great advice!!
PS -- Come and visit Palo Alto any time... it's sunny and gorgeous right now. :-)

Old 02-07-2013, 06:55 AM

2,380 posts, read 4,520,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndiaLimaDelta View Post
DC 20 highly-educated single females per 1 average looking male. Or so my former subordinates who are singles tell me.
Methinks the women are a tad bit over-fussy, but that's just me.

Old 02-07-2013, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stpickrell View Post
Methinks the women are a tad bit over-fussy, but that's just me.
Here or in Palo Alto?

Old 02-07-2013, 12:54 PM

2,380 posts, read 4,520,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndiaLimaDelta View Post
Here or in Palo Alto?
Here.

I assume your former subordinates were not looking for a guy who was under 35, making at least $150k a year, wasn't overweight, was at least 6', etc., etc. Because if they were -- it is their right to want those things in a guy (and I am none of them), but that their prospects by necessity become more limited.

It does help their cause if they're statuesque, highly educated, and not inclined towards battles of wills with their high-status boyfriends/husbands.

This is different from wanting a guy who's under 35, gainfully employed, doesn't require a crane to get from place to place, and practices basic hygiene.

Old 02-07-2013, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stpickrell View Post
Here.

I assume your former subordinates were not looking for a guy who was under 35, making at least $150k a year, wasn't overweight, was at least 6', etc., etc. Because if they were -- it is their right to want those things in a guy (and I am none of them), but that their prospects by necessity become more limited.

It does help their cause if they're statuesque, highly educated, and not inclined towards battles of wills with their high-status boyfriends/husbands.

This is different from wanting a guy who's under 35, gainfully employed, doesn't require a crane to get from place to place, and practices basic hygiene.
Most of my underlings were male. Most of them thought the guy-gal ratio in DC was in their favor. I don't know if that is actually the case or not as I have been out of the market a long time, but on rare occasions I took the young staffers out for some food, drinks and socialization at various DC and NoVA adult beverage establishments, there did seem to be a swarm of young women and many seemed quite flirtatious. Same thing whenever I visited Congressional offices. There seemed to be quite a few young single female staffers and most of them were quite friendly, chatty and occasionally flirtatious. And a reasonable number of them appeared to be physicially attractive.

It's the opposite of Palo Alto where I know there are swarms of highly educated, high earning males and not as many of their opposites among the fairer sex, leading to women being picky-choosy about men.

In economic terms, this means that men are discounted more heavily in Palo Alto than in metro-DC.

Old 02-07-2013, 04:35 PM

518 posts, read 1,452,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gomason View Post
Generally, she shouldn't live anywhere east of 16th street northwest, unless it is in the neighborhoods of downtown, penn quarter, chinatown, or capitol hill. You definitely want to avoid Anacostia and Trinidad.

You should also consider neighborhoods in Arlington because that is a very nice area which can actually be more convenient commuting into DC than some neighborhoods in DC proper.
This is an outdated view. East of 16th St. just above downtown is the Shaw neighborhood. It is now a very wealthy neighborhood, filled with young professionals mostly in their 20s, 30s, and young couples with kids. Justice Sotomayor lives there. Columbia Heights just north of there is also now very expensive. Young interns also live in these DC neighborhoods. So there are cheaper alternative options to renting a $2,000/mo studio.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia