Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-16-2008, 08:11 PM

402 posts, read 852,774 times

Advertisements

here are some of the best restaurants in NoVa.

1)barbeque- Dixie Bones(Woodbridge), red hot and blue (Fairfax, Arlington)
2)chili- hard times cafe (fairfax, springfield, alexandria?)
3)burgers- fosters(fairfax, vienna), five guys(numerous locations)
4)pizza- mamma lucias(2 in fairfax)
5)mexican- el paso(springfield), chipotle(numerous locations), anitas(fairfax, herndon)
6)chinese- peking gourmet(falls church)
7)sushi-burke fortune house(burke)
8)steak/brazilian- texas de brazil (fairfax)

any one else want to chime in?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2008, 09:47 PM

8,577 posts, read 7,845,782 times
bbq, dixie bones is good. burgers, I make the argument for fuddruckers. pizza, you can find anywhere here. mexican, you can find anywhere here. my favorite joints in NOVA were charcoal kabob, in herndon, and malek's in springfield for gyros. you can find it all here. I moved away, but miss the diversity of food.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nva79 View Post

5)mexican- el paso(springfield), chipotle(numerous locations), anitas(fairfax, herndon)

Old 07-25-2008, 09:51 AM

Default .

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmarquise View Post
pizza, you can find anywhere here. mexican, you can find anywhere here.
i know you can find it anywhere, that is why i made a list of the best (in my opinion).

Old 07-29-2008, 04:53 PM

286 posts, read 804,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ONLYISLANDLADY View Post
The many Korean restaurants, shops, delis you see in annandale are Korean owned but everyone shops there. These owners cater to the general public and not just the Asian community. Annandale is not all "Asian" or "Korean". It just appears to look like that to some because of the signs on businesses with Korean alphabet.

As for "FedupinVA" You came from PA so please, open your mind to the many positive aspects of NoVa or go back to PA!

Immigrants are not all illegal nor the problem. It is economics. Look at PG county and SE D.C. from 20 years ago, they had the same problems without "Illegal Immigrants". Less crime there now why? More people are educated, employed and have had a chance to make it like the rest of us.
Besides, this country was built on immigrants and fruited from their labor, so why should your ancestors get precedence over others anyway?
Correct me if I am mistaken but I do not think you are native to this land either right?
You must be Spanish, illegal, or both to have that kind of attitude. It is pretty much a fact that the illegal immigrant population here has lowered property values and brought more crime here. MS 13 has a very big presence here and guess what they are? Mostly illegal immigrants. Go to any fast food place (except Wendy's, they have Indians) and you will need a translator to get your order off correctly.

PG county and SE DC are still very much crime ridden, violent places to live. If you do not think so, I would suggest you go walk in Anacostia by yourself after dark and let me know what you think.

Old 07-29-2008, 04:56 PM

286 posts, read 804,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FedupinVA View Post
I have lived in Alexandria, VA for 11 years now. I came straight off the farm in PA and WOW, what a culture shock!!! I have managed to get used to the noise, crime, traffic and overwhelming feeling of being a minority to some extent, but I have to say, it is NOT where I would want to raise my kids or where I want to spend the next 11 years of my life.
Any form of housing is SERIOUSLY overpriced ( efficiency apts. start aroung 1,000/mo, and don't forget about that wonderful PERSONAL PROPERTY TAX! (For those of you who aren't familiar with it, it is just that, a TAX on EVERYTHING you own-HOUSES, CARS, BOATS, CAR/BOAT TRAILERS, MOTORCYCLES, ETC). This place has the highest taxes I have ever seen.
There are lots of things to do, but you take your life in your hands when you go anywhere after dark-especially in D.C.! And going five miles anywhere at certain times and days can be an hour-long event-LITERALLY!!!
The first day I moved here, a cab driver was shot 6 blocks away from where I lived.
Since 1997, I have seen an increase in Illegals that is just immense. Gang violence is seriously on the rise, as is crime in general. Lots of rapes and murders here in the D.C. Metro area, (murders mostly in Prince George's Co. and D.C., but rapes EVERYWHERE at Metro stops and parks in broad daylight). Lots of home invasions too lately.
NO, they can have this place. Every day I spend here makes me miss the peace and quiet of home all the more.
As for people, in any office job you get, most of the people who hold manger positions are seriously over stressed and have some sort of mental problem (honestly) and they take it out on those around them. Women in every office I have ever worked in here are ultra-competitive and conniving. I usually end up doing two or three people's work for one person's pay as the women who have been there longer like to make you do their work and then they take credit for it. NOT a nice buch of folks down here, especially on Fort Belvoir.
If you have a half-decent figure and are a truly nice person, they hate you from the start. This is a dog-eat-dog environment.
I am pretty outgoing, but women here make it hard to be nice. They just hate everyone and everything and HAVE to try to boss everyone around-even if they are supposed to be your equal!
If you have tons of money, you'll fit in. If you have no college degree and are trying to go it alone, you will have a very tough time. Best hope for those is to waitress in an upscale restaurant. Most of them make more money than I make here on post.
Only thing is, you gotta' hustle and you will need to purchase your own health care-along with everything else.
I lived in Bronx, New York for a time and in all honesty, I liked New York better!
People were more down-to-Earth, not pretentious like they are here.
I agree, having lived in various places in my life, NoVA is the worst place I have ever lived. People here have no idea what manners are, drivers have no idea how to drive, courtesy is a foreign word here, the people are fake and only want/need you when you have something that can benefit them. I would never raised my children in this area, I would feel that as a parent I failed my kids in raising them in the best possible environment. The only thing good about this place are the schools, jobs and history.

Old 07-29-2008, 07:34 PM

2,765 posts, read 8,325,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernboi View Post
i agree, having lived in various places in my life, nova is the worst place i have ever lived. People here have no idea what manners are, drivers have no idea how to drive, courtesy is a foreign word here, the people are fake and only want/need you when you have something that can benefit them. I would never raised my children in this area, i would feel that as a parent i failed my kids in raising them in the best possible environment. The only thing good about this place are the schools, jobs and history.
then why don't you leave and go back to tennessee

Old 07-30-2008, 01:07 PM

241 posts, read 987,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nva79 View Post

For Kababs.... Ravi Kabab in Arlington is THE BEST. You have to try their Chicken Kababs and Kabab Karahi, a bit on the spicy side but both are awesome.

Old 07-30-2008, 08:01 PM

Default great area

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBoi View Post
I agree, having lived in various places in my life, NoVA is the worst place I have ever lived. People here have no idea what manners are, drivers have no idea how to drive, courtesy is a foreign word here, the people are fake and only want/need you when you have something that can benefit them. I would never raised my children in this area, I would feel that as a parent I failed my kids in raising them in the best possible environment. The only thing good about this place are the schools, jobs, and history.
Obviously you are not opening your mind. I don't know what it is you don't like. The food, sports, public transit, air travel are all great. This is a world class area, and you don't have to live here, but while you do, look around you and you will see what you are missing.

Old 08-06-2008, 01:12 AM

3 posts, read 15,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shibainu View Post
I am looking to relocate to Fairfax County from Rochester ny. I will tell you it is like night and day. Crime in the rust belt is bad. I am in an inter-racial relationship and I saw no problems in Fairfax County. They only difference I disliked was traffic. I came down from 270 near Fredrick to get to fall church and I have never seen so much traffic. But 270 has 2 lanes and eventually opens up. If they expand their highway like nyc or nj I do not see them having a problem with traffic on the highways. Only difference in cost of living was housing. Actually checked price between cities and it cost more in upstate ny to live than in northern Virginia. From an outsiders point of view I liked northern Virginia. Only area I did not like driving into was seven corners, I never knew where to go.

Oh, Wegmans food is from rochester, ny. The flagship store in Rochester is in pittsford ny. It is nice but I love the fairfax store with the wine cellar and more room to move around in the market/wokery area.
I used to go to Rochester a lot on business. I think that the flagship store in Pittsford (and the restaurant next store) may be the #1 tourist attraction in the city!!!

Old 08-06-2008, 05:14 PM

15,142 posts, read 27,760,706 times
Back to restaurants: We like the Tortilla Factory in Herndon (Mexican), they have the BEST salsa (I don't like chunky), they make it there and sell it as well as their own tortilla chips.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia