Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2013, 10:17 AM

416 posts, read 713,131 times

Advertisements

I would assume the OP is being sarcastic, since this was a big concern when Metro was expanding in the 70s and we now know that Metro access leads to wealth and gentrification, not "riff-raff."

Old 02-14-2013, 10:19 AM

295 posts, read 659,509 times
I don't drive and live in Crystal City. I have taken the Metro and a bus to Tyson's a number of times on weekends when there are track work delays because it's the best mall around and it has a LL Bean store. My shopping tastes prove I am a soon-to-be old lady and not the demographic of the riff raff some here are concerned about. As you can imagine, I am looking forward to a much shorter and easier trip to Tyson's. The Silver Line will be a benefit to Tyson's and I agree about it becoming a tourist attraction. I believe there are charter buses now that go from D.C. to Tyson's for around $40.

Old 02-14-2013, 10:28 AM

1,403 posts, read 2,151,793 times
I propose a simple literacy test to keep the riff-raff out of the area. The plebs and hoi polloi who cannot spell common words like riff-raff ("rift-raft") or conservatism (variously "conservationism" and "conservativism") should be denied entry.

On the more serious topic of crime and public transportation system, in this case the Metro, I suspect the mechanism of transport by itself plays little if any role in the rate of crime. Crime rate is mostly driven by demographics, which will continue to head toward the right direction in much of this region for the foreseeable future, so I would speculate that the rate would not change from the normal seasonal and year-to-year variances.

Demographic trends do a good job on their own of keeping out undesirable types (delinquents, criminals and such). Ineffective contrivances frequently do more harm than good. I lived in a small coastal town some years ago that decided not to add additional bridges to the mainland (it only had two two-lane bridges) to keep out the riff-raff. Thereafter the town suffered a large storm and flooding. When one of the bridges was rendered impassable by an accident, there was a scene of panic at the other bridge as it was clogged with people attempting to flee to the higher ground on the mainland. I think we all wished we had that third bridge then.

The Almighty does have a funny sense of humor and rewards hubris accordingly.

Old 02-14-2013, 10:37 AM

5,094 posts, read 5,177,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GustavoFring View Post
I'm excited at the fact that it'll take some of the people away from the Fashion Centre at Pentagon City. I'm expecting fewer smash and grabs there. I was also excited when they opened the DC Costco, to relieve some of the pressure from out of staters on the one at Pentagon City.

The stores in the Galleria are prohibited by mall management from having their doors closed. Also, the expensive merchandise is not locked down or contain anti-theft sensors. It will be easy pickings.

My wife works at The Collection in Chevy Chase. The gangs "smash and grab" at those boutiques all the time. She told the corporate office that she will be quitting the day they hit the store that she works at.

Old 02-14-2013, 10:40 AM

416 posts, read 713,131 times
OT, but the best thing about the Silver Line, btw, is more trains in the core Court House to East Falls Church part of Arlington.

Sorry, Alexandria!

(I'm assuming Silver train slots will replace some Blue and some Orange trains, and not all Orange trains. Does anyone know what the actual plan is?)

Old 02-14-2013, 10:40 AM

2,540 posts, read 3,737,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stpickrell View Post
If the hoodrats truly thought as OP thinks, the following conversation would be heard all over the place:

Omar: Jose, why are we robbing people here in McLean Gardens, when we could steal a car and head over to McLean?
Jose: Why yes, that would be a good idea. A single haul from a house there could allow us to buy a supply of crack cocaine that should last at least three months. Our baby mothers could each receive a substantial sum, as well. Let us proceed to execute this plan, Omar.

or in West VA:

Billy: Hey Dave, come over here from the meth producing equipment!
Dave: Yes? This latest batch is nearly ready!
Billy: Hey, why are we breaking into houses out here in Martinsburg, when an hour away lies this area called Ashburn, in which there live a high number of very wealthy individuals. We should be committing our crime there, Dave.
Dave: You're right, Billy. A single day's work there could allow us to buy more meth producing equipment and enable us to have an even higher income. This would allow us each to have another stripper girlfriend. We should go there before Jethro arrives and robs the most wealthy of Ashburn residents.
you need to 'dumb' down the speech to make it believable

Old 02-14-2013, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnalyzeThis View Post
I know there is a perception that public transportation increases crime in the areas they serve, but has there been any published studies on this? Or is it just really fear mongering?

Wealthy or affluent people do not use public transportation. Most criminals come from the lower classes. Lower class people use public transportation. See how that works.

Old 02-14-2013, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
The "rift-raft" can just drive in now, why would Metro make any difference?

They take the metro to the mall, steal a car, and then drive their loot to a different metro stop to take the train back to their crib.

Old 02-14-2013, 10:52 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,097,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stpickrell View Post
If the hoodrats truly thought as OP thinks, the following conversation would be heard all over the place:

Omar: Jose, why are we robbing people here in McLean Gardens, when we could steal a car and head over to McLean?
Jose: Why yes, that would be a good idea. A single haul from a house there could allow us to buy a supply of crack cocaine that should last at least three months. Our baby mothers could each receive a substantial sum, as well. Let us proceed to execute this plan, Omar.

or in West VA:

Billy: Hey Dave, come over here from the meth producing equipment!
Dave: Yes? This latest batch is nearly ready!
Billy: Hey, why are we breaking into houses out here in Martinsburg, when an hour away lies this area called Ashburn, in which there live a high number of very wealthy individuals. We should be committing our crime there, Dave.
Dave: You're right, Billy. A single day's work there could allow us to buy more meth producing equipment and enable us to have an even higher income. This would allow us each to have another stripper girlfriend. We should go there before Jethro arrives and robs the most wealthy of Ashburn residents.
LOL loving it. And don't forget to add Omar and Jose's buddy Sam, who gets a herniated disc at the metro stop after doing his smash and grab and then carrying a couple of big screen tvs the several blocks you have to walk from the mall and then climbing the steps up to the train station. And then waiting and waiting for the train.

Old 02-14-2013, 10:59 AM

8,868 posts, read 12,568,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaten_Drinker View Post
Wealthy or affluent people do not use public transportation. .

you dont ride metro much, do you?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia