Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2013, 03:32 PM

1,624 posts, read 4,873,685 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by karen624 View Post
He did. He wrote up a nice little letter about us and all that. Cold, hard cash talks in this case I guess. They did not even give us a- this is the other offer, what else do you want to do to sweeten your deal option.
I'm not a real estate agent, but if I make a hard offer for anything and the seller chooses to disclose that amount to goose a higher offer from competing bids, there is a good chance I will walk away from the deal.

As a buyer, you don't necessarily want to be dragged into an auction. Unless I think the property is significantly undervalued or unique and will be different to find a replacement, I want my offer accepted, rejected, or counter-offered. I do not want, wait while I troll around for a higher bid.

So if the offer is a good one, you'll take a signficant risk to try to get just a little bit more out of me or someone else.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2013, 03:37 PM

20 posts, read 25,626 times
I have seen so many houses listed (in Fairfax county) that have stated in the remarks that they will be reviewing offers on a specified day- basically turning it into a bidding war right off the bat. It turns me off to a house right away, and I am not going to waste my time waiting for a week or so to see if I have the magical offer.

Old 03-05-2013, 05:54 PM

1,736 posts, read 2,898,340 times
Quote:
I have seen so many houses listed (in Fairfax county) that have stated in the remarks that they will be reviewing offers on a specified day- basically turning it into a bidding war right off the bat. It turns me off to a house right away, and I am not going to waste my time waiting for a week or so to see if I have the magical offer.
when you're scheduling 5+ showings the first day it comes on market, it's smart from a sellers perspective to inform all potential buyers that there will a cutoff to review any and all offers.

Old 03-06-2013, 05:31 AM

979 posts, read 1,778,535 times
Quote:
Very interesting to read about the polybutylene pipes. I had not heard about that before, so will educate myself a little bit now.
I believe they stopped using poly pipe in the late '80s around here, so if the properties you're viewing are newer, it shouldn't be a concern. My townhouse was built in '86 or '87.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Middlin View Post
When I read that I remembered when we bought a TH in Fair Lakes and there was an all cash offer on the table against our traditional financing. Our realtor seeing all the child proofing in the house and the toddler running around and a baby in the Mom's arms casually mentioned that I was pregnant and wouldn't that be convenient to have all that already taken care of. The sellers ended up going with us.

Frankly, I would have your realtor play up the deployment....you never know what might work in your favor.
Yup. The house we're in now, we were competing with another offer. My realtor wrote a note about us and our situation, explaining we were looking for a nice home to start our family in, as I was pregnant at the time. In the end, the seller said our offers were very close, but he just couldn't say no to a pregnant woman (by which I assume our offer was the slightly lower one)!
I ended up giving birth ON moving day, the day right after closing. If we'd had to wait for another house instead, the move would have been much more difficult, as I would have had a new baby, and all our baby "stuff" would have been set up at our old house instead of never having been unpacked (super easy to move).
Quote:
They did not even give us a- this is the other offer, what else do you want to do to sweeten your deal option.
I have never, ever been told what the "other" offer is. Typically, if the seller wants to play, they just come back and say your offer's not the top bid, so you have an opportunity to adjust it if you wish, but you're doing so blindly.

Old 03-06-2013, 06:12 AM

20 posts, read 25,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jillybean720 View Post
I believe they stopped using poly pipe in the late '80s around here, so if the properties you're viewing are newer, it shouldn't be a concern. My townhouse was built in '86 or '87.
We are looking in West Springfield or Burke, also out in Loudon County, so the Fairfax Co. houses would def. be in that time frame.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kww View Post
when you're scheduling 5+ showings the first day it comes on market, it's smart from a sellers perspective to inform all potential buyers that there will a cutoff to review any and all offers.
I understand this, but if I am a buyer coming in from out of town, trying to get things tied up in one trip, this makes things VERY difficult. Do I roll the dice on the house that won't even look at my offer for another week, or do I put in an offer on a house that will consider my offer right away, so I can get my contract ratified and all the balls in motion. It makes sense to do this if you list a house on Friday am, and say you will review all contracts on Sunday pm, but a lot of the houses I have seen have the date pushed out 10-14 days.

Old 03-06-2013, 08:08 AM

652 posts, read 1,306,548 times
We're putting our West Springfield house on the market in a couple of weeks. While I hope you're right about the abundance of showings and interest, we have no plans of starting a bidding war. Once the first offer comes in, we'll try to work it out then.

Old 03-06-2013, 08:29 AM

505 posts, read 766,171 times
Quote:
I understand this, but if I am a buyer coming in from out of town, trying to get things tied up in one trip, this makes things VERY difficult. Do I roll the dice on the house that won't even look at my offer for another week, or do I put in an offer on a house that will consider my offer right away, so I can get my contract ratified and all the balls in motion. It makes sense to do this if you list a house on Friday am, and say you will review all contracts on Sunday pm, but a lot of the houses I have seen have the date pushed out 10-14 days.
This is easy. Submit a contract on the house that will look at the offer right away. Have your realtor communicate to them that you are interested in other properties and that you need to have a contract ratified by X or you will withdraw the offer and submit one on the other property. I've done this before and it was not a problem.

When the second house is getting close to when they will review contracts your realtor should be able to find out how much interest there is in the second house and you can decide if you even want to submit on that house. Your realtor may find out they have 5 other offers over asking price so you may decide to not even pursue the second house. If you are not getting where you want on the first and you are still interested in the second, pull back the first contract and submit one on the second house.

Worse case you lose out on both houses but that can happen whether or not one of them is waiting to review offers.

I did the out of town thing a few years ago and had to make 3 trips before we got the house we wanted, but most people I know are able to do it in one trip if they are well prepared and have a plan like the one above for which houses they are interested in submitting offers on.

Old 07-17-2013, 09:28 AM

304 posts, read 1,020,218 times
As the OP, just thought I'd come back to my thread and let you all know that we did successfully purchase our house back in May and while we did have to pay closing costs, we got the house for about $10K under the seller's asking price.

I feel lucky that we got the first house we made an offer on considering how quickly houses around here go under contract. Thanks again to everyone for their comments!

Old 07-17-2013, 01:53 PM

244 posts, read 566,479 times
Congratulations. Given how heated the local market has become, I am glad you were able to buy something earlier in the year. I know some people who were indecisive, tried to apply prior year tactics to current market, and ended up just wasting a lot of time while the prices have gone up and choices dwindle.

Old 07-17-2013, 02:21 PM

2,369 posts, read 2,917,836 times
i wonder how much my moms house in the town of Vienna will sell for in about 2.5 years from now. she's finished the basement, updated bunch of stuff. i know 800k was what we were told sometime this year. i wonder if thatll go up by then.

i think her house is the only one on the street that has a finished basement too. hrm it be nice for her to retire with 500k+ cash and move to south America with that lump sum. Part of me will miss the house but then again i am sentimental about where i live. i still miss my childhood town house lol and my bedroom was the equivalent of a closet LOL.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia