Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2013, 01:33 PM

544 posts, read 1,047,302 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stpickrell View Post
I worked near Montrose and Seven Locks Road for a few years.

I found taking 7 Locks Road down to Macarthur Boulevard, then to Clara Barton Parkway/the Beltway, helped a lot to avoid the backups on 270 Spur/495.

Granted it worked 15 years ago, maybe not so much anymore.
I used to do this 3 years ago when I lived in Gaithersburg and worked in Tyson's. I'm not actually sure it saved me any time, but it's a way prettier drive. I think all the trees helped calm me down instead of sitting in 12 lanes of wall to wall cars.

The worst part is from the Toll Road to 270; it's not geographically that long but man, it can wreck your day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2013, 06:42 PM

9,775 posts, read 15,776,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reiflame View Post
I used to do this 3 years ago when I lived in Gaithersburg and worked in Tyson's. I'm not actually sure it saved me any time, but it's a way prettier drive. I think all the trees helped calm me down instead of sitting in 12 lanes of wall to wall cars.

The worst part is from the Toll Road to 270; it's not geographically that long but man, it can wreck your day.
I agree - I used to do this sometimes, too. I also am not sure it saved any time, but it was a much prettier route, and it least it was moving as opposed to sitting on the Beltway.

Old 04-02-2013, 08:48 AM

15,427 posts, read 25,795,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michgc View Post
I agree - I used to do this sometimes, too. I also am not sure it saved any time, but it was a much prettier route, and it least it was moving as opposed to sitting on the Beltway.
I st ill do it sometimes. It is brutal, but I think it saves only a few minutes compared to sitting on the spur and the Beltway. Not enough of a difference. There are other back roads that are also brutal. Every route has been tried and they're all choked with traffic.

Someone mentioned that the HOT lanes have helped in the afternoon. I have not noticed that. I certainly hope it is true.

Old 04-05-2013, 02:49 PM

2,867 posts, read 3,551,890 times
Thanks all. No doubt it'd be tougher than what I have now. The job however is one of those rare opportunities that seldom come up, one that someone would easily move from a different state further away to have. A relocation over to the Maryland side would not be out of the question for us if this works, but can't do that right now for family reasons. I'd be looking at this commute for probably two years. The commute is truly the only downside to this opportunity.

Old 04-05-2013, 03:30 PM

9,874 posts, read 14,112,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NC211 View Post
Thanks all. No doubt it'd be tougher than what I have now. The job however is one of those rare opportunities that seldom come up, one that someone would easily move from a different state further away to have. A relocation over to the Maryland side would not be out of the question for us if this works, but can't do that right now for family reasons. I'd be looking at this commute for probably two years. The commute is truly the only downside to this opportunity.
From someone who commutes from Middleburg to upper NW DC for a great job, I say "go for it!" I have no regrets.

Old 04-06-2013, 09:19 PM

1,615 posts, read 2,140,103 times
Can you use White's Ferry? That would avoid the beltway.

Old 04-07-2013, 06:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fredesch View Post
But then you would have to deal with 270. Not a good tradeoff, IMO.

Old 04-07-2013, 06:39 AM

1,735 posts, read 1,769,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
But then you would have to deal with 270. Not a good tradeoff, IMO.
270N isn't exactly a parking lot in the AM.

Old 04-07-2013, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by e30is View Post
270N isn't exactly a parking lot in the AM.
No, it's not, but I can't imagine why someone taking White's Ferry would need to get on 270N to get to Rockville. I thought it connected more North than it does, so it appears that it is possible to not get on 270 at all (depending on where in Rockville). You may need to brave 270S to get to the exit you need.

Regardless, you are looking at a commute of (at least) an hour and 20 minutes that does not include traffic or waiting for the ferry.

Old 04-07-2013, 07:06 PM

2,380 posts, read 4,513,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fredesch View Post
Maybe driving up to Point of Rocks and taking MARC, if that is at all a possibility.

White's Ferry costs you $8 round trip and the roads proceeding from there aren't the greatest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia