Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-17-2013, 09:24 AM

29 posts, read 66,407 times

Advertisements

I hope you fine folks can help me out! I am trying to remember (or even find a website) for an Italian restaurant that I LOVED going to in Old Town Alexandria, 10+ years ago.

some characteristics of this place -
--classic/"retro" type italian restaurant. The Godfather could have been filmed here!
--i *think* it had the typical red/white checkered table cloths, but not positive.
--REALLY good food. I mean really good. and good portions.
--It may have been on a corner, or close to a corner. Unfortunately, I don't remember the streets very well (even with Google Maps help). It was probably well in between the river and Rt 1. (versus closer to one or the other)
--I remember there being a stand-up piano in the farther back "room". we didn't hear a piano player each time, but occasionally there would be.

i'm sorry if all of this is vague. I am trying to remember from 2000-2002. I just hope that restaurant still exists and is still the same.

Any help you have, that's great! If not, thanks for reading anyway!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2013, 09:36 AM

1,847 posts, read 3,733,541 times
Sounds like it might be Il Porto - on the corner of King and Lee I think.

Old 04-17-2013, 03:45 PM

15,154 posts, read 27,838,153 times
There used to be a place across the street from the Fish Market that had a piano (and a player) - sounds like that might have been it? - slduvall, I don't think that was the name of the place I'm thinking of, but it might have been - it has been yrs. - it had full height glass windows.

Old 04-17-2013, 05:36 PM

14,129 posts, read 31,286,139 times
Perhaps one of these two that are still in operation?

Welcome to Landini Brothers, Inc.

Welcome to Trattoria da Franco ::::::

Old 04-18-2013, 03:48 AM

393 posts, read 1,203,478 times
All that comes to mind is Ecco.

Old 04-18-2013, 07:45 AM

1,534 posts, read 3,728,410 times
If it may have been Del Ray, perhaps it was Monroe's?

Monroe's - Del Ray, Alexandria - Italian Restaurants

Old 04-22-2013, 08:27 AM

29 posts, read 66,407 times
thanks for helping folks - definitely not Monroe's. and if it was Monroe's, it has had a HUGE renovation.

Not Landini Bros - that place is too upscale. Looks nice, but "our" place was more humble.
Seriously doubtful it was Trattoria da Franco. Looks like a good place, but not the one I'm looking for.

Looks like Ecco is gone now, so I'm finding it difficult to find any info on that place.

Looking at *some* of the pics of Pines of florence makes me think it could be it - more from the structure of the bar at the front of the restaurant. HOWEVER, "our" place was not teal blue, etc. Plus, I really don't think it was west of Rt 1. it was closer to the river.

I have a feeling it is long gone (unless it was Ecco!) it was not an upscale place. I could envision men in sports coats in it just as easily as couples in shorts/t-shirts. Matter of fact, I know we went there after a day all over DC (zoo, museums, etc) and I KNOW we would have been dressed comfortably instead of for a night on the town. but we were welcomed like anyone else.

Oh well. I have a feeling the only way for us to find it again is to walk the streets of OTA and see if we can find it again. I just don't know when we will revisit DC!

thanks for your help folks! If you come up with other ideas, i'd love to hear them!

BTW - please tell me the Ben and Jerry's that was on the water front is still there!

Old 04-22-2013, 02:14 PM

2,136 posts, read 5,316,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slduvall View Post
I was thinking Il Porto as well - except I don't know about a piano in the back, I've only ever eaten near the front. They do have back rooms, though. Definitely on a corner, definitely old-style.

Old 04-22-2013, 04:58 PM

270 posts, read 909,694 times
Definitely Il Porto. Still good, but it was really good back in the day.

Old 04-22-2013, 07:45 PM

2,772 posts, read 4,322,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slduvall View Post
I think Il Porto. I think I saw the Don eating in the back booth one time
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
View detailed profiles of: