Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2013, 08:41 AM

69 posts, read 96,101 times

Advertisements

Normally I feel uncomfortable if there aren't any other black people around. I'm not sure why.
But in DC, I don't care because the black folks aren't the same as they are in other places. I know this sounds ridiculous.
As for further out in VA, I guess it may be different seeing as it still is apart of the South. Oh and there are parents who think its okay to dress their children up like Klan members.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2013, 09:56 AM

490 posts, read 925,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majicdonjuan View Post
I think it's important you bring up things like barbershops. My white friends and coworkers don't understand why I get my hair cut so much (despite the fact that most of them probably wouldn't want to be my friend and/or coworker if I walked around every day looking like Jamie Foxx from Django), but having a good barbershop nearby is crucial to black people who have any sort of pride in their appearance. I think a lack of a good barber/barbershop/hairdresser/etc in a specific area is one of the single biggest things that would deter me from living in that area.

By the way, in areas of few black people, there are correspondingly few barber shops. Would a black person who chooses not to live in an area he can't find a barbershop to his liking be considered a racist?

Only by some on this board...
Preah Brother!!!! Honestly I perfer to live around more caucasian than my own people, but I can't for the simple there are less barbershop. So that's one of the BIG reason why I live in Montgomery County for that reason Alone!!

Old 12-21-2013, 12:12 PM

1,605 posts, read 3,919,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midwest_Madame View Post
Normally I feel uncomfortable if there aren't any other black people around. I'm not sure why.
But in DC, I don't care because the black folks aren't the same as they are in other places. I know this sounds ridiculous.
As for further out in VA, I guess it may be different seeing as it still is apart of the South. Oh and there are parents who think its okay to dress their children up like Klan members.
Feel free to elaborate.

Old 12-22-2013, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Do a Barrel Roll View Post
Feel free to elaborate.
Where I'm from the black folks are more like family. A lot of them want to help out. For example I came to DC to work for a conservative politician on Capitol Hill. Obviously black folks who are conservative are typically rare so when I did find black conservative folks, I was interested in getting to know them ad possibly becoming friends but they way that they treated me wasn't as warm as what I'm used to. There have also been situations similar to that. Its hard to explain and I don't expect everyone to understand it though.

Old 12-22-2013, 10:44 AM

1,605 posts, read 3,919,876 times
Quote:
Where I'm from the black folks are more like family. A lot of them want to help out. For example I came to DC to work for a conservative politician on Capitol Hill. Obviously black folks who are conservative are typically rare so when I did find black conservative folks, I was interested in getting to know them ad possibly becoming friends but they way that they treated me wasn't as warm as what I'm used to. There have also been situations similar to that. Its hard to explain and I don't expect everyone to understand it though.
In other words, blacks in DC and neighboring PG County, most of whom are liberal BTW, tend to have a "I got mines, F you" mentality. And to which, I say....I completely agree! The saddest thing about my case is that I was born and raised around these same blacks, and that mentality even applies to my relatives, if not even more. When it come to DC and PG, unless you're one of those bourgie or hood blacks, forget about experiences any benefit or hook-up from being in a Black "Mecca" city.

The only saving grace is that these same blacks are so militantly black and Democrat that they still think that Northern VA is still part of the Old South. So if you live in parts of Northern VA outside the beltway, you won't run into the arrogant, crude, and provincial DC/PG kind of blacks, but more of the humble kind that you are used to back home.

Last edited by Do a Barrel Roll; 12-22-2013 at 10:52 AM..

Old 12-22-2013, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Do a Barrel Roll View Post
In other words, blacks in DC and neighboring PG County, most of whom are liberal BTW, tend to have a "I got mines, F you" mentality. And to which, I say....I completely agree! The saddest thing about my case is that I was born and raised around these same blacks, and that mentality even applies to my relatives, if not even more. When it come to DC and PG, unless you're one of those bourgie or hood blacks, forget about experiences any benefit or hook-up from being in a Black "Mecca" city.

The only saving grace is that these same blacks are so militantly black and Democrat that they still think that Northern VA is still part of the Old South. So if you live in parts of Northern VA outside the beltway, you won't run into the arrogant, crude, and provincial DC/PG kind of blacks, but more of the humble kind that you are used to back home.
Ha! "I got mines F you" summed it up far better than I could! That's the attitude here! It makes me sick because I was taught that unity is important to help black people get where they need to be (among other things).
I can't imagine having family here. *shivers*

Old 12-23-2013, 01:15 PM

8,982 posts, read 21,183,151 times
Let's get back to discussing African Americans in (western) Fairfax County or at least NOVA in general.

Old 05-27-2014, 11:14 AM

9 posts, read 16,706 times
Quote:
...but I still tend to find those places less racially unwelcoming than the preppy and yuppie dominated parts of NW DC..
I grew up in Manassas, and the higher population of blacks and hispanics in the public school system made it AWFUL for a pale white kid to make it. I was constantly teased, harassed and felt completely unwelcome. So it goes both ways..

But also, as a white person, I don't feel welcome in the preppy and yuppie dominated parts of the DC metro area either. It's not just blacks or others that those rich snobs frown upon. It's anyone who doesn't meet their standards, including white folks. So don't take it so personally. They are just a*holes in general.

Last edited by FindingZen; 05-27-2014 at 02:44 PM.. Reason: fixed quote

Old 05-27-2014, 01:14 PM

2,765 posts, read 8,333,847 times
I'm White, but we got the best quality African Americans in the entire world, right here in Northern Virginia.

Old 05-31-2014, 02:44 PM

9 posts, read 11,369 times
Quote:
Ha! "I got mines F you" summed it up far better than I could! That's the attitude here! It makes me sick because I was taught that unity is important to help black people get where they need to be (among other things).
I can't imagine having family here. *shivers*

I thought I was the only one that felt that! Being from NC..Everyone speaks to everyone! It doesn't matter if you are Mr and Mrs. so and so!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia