Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2013, 07:17 PM

2,765 posts, read 8,327,876 times

Advertisements

I'm looking to switch over to Sprint, and wondering if anyone can compare the service to Verizon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2013, 07:32 PM

4,489 posts, read 10,944,761 times
I have sprint for my personal phone, husband has verizon for his work phone. No real noticeable difference. Sometimes I have better service, sometimes he does. I don't know if it's still true, but when I signed up for my sprint plan, their roaming service was verizon (so if there was no sprint service I could pick up verizon's network).

Old 04-21-2013, 08:26 PM

2,369 posts, read 2,912,149 times
relatively all services in the dc area are the "same", however i find the services to be like this: Verizon/att, tmobile,sprint,boost and cricket.

if i were you i would look at the coverage map of places you often go to, or travel through to get a feel.

Old 04-22-2013, 09:52 AM

172 posts, read 329,529 times
VRE332,
We had Verizon for years but just switched to Sprint about a week ago. So I am still in the "testing mode" but so far I have not noticed any difference.

Old 04-22-2013, 10:16 AM

979 posts, read 1,775,617 times
I switched from Verizon to Sprint about a year ago. The only difference I noticed so far is a lower monthly bill

Old 04-22-2013, 10:47 AM

26,700 posts, read 41,737,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VRE332 View Post
I'm looking to switch over to Sprint, and wondering if anyone can compare the service to Verizon.
I have Sprint and my biggest gripe is not being able to get 4G in the Virginia Square or Ballston areas. Small annoyance maybe but it is too bad I spend 90% of my workweek in either area.

Old 04-22-2013, 12:13 PM

1,624 posts, read 4,868,828 times
Wow, I am surprised with these responses. AT&T and Verizon both picked the DC area as one of their key areas of focus, so they devote way more cell towers and infrastructure here than most regions in the country. For example, when they both first started putting in LTE towers, they chose DC as the first cities to get them. When Sprint decided to do this years later after their WiMax 4G failed, they chose Baltimore instead.

Sprint and T Mobile also have other issues besides towers. Each does not have access to much space in low frequency bands, as they rely on higher frequency bands. Higher frequency bands do not penetrate walls very easily, so you get terrible reception indoors vs. outside.

I had Sprint and had trouble getting calls to my cell phone in both my house and office, so I switched after a few months. The data speeds to Sprint were pretty slow as well. I usually hear a lot of complaining about Sprint, especially after they added the iPhone and got a lot of traffic on their 3G network. Too bad because Sprint and T Mobile are much cheaper, especially if you go prepaid.

Not to say the cost saving are not worth it. T Mobile unlimited plans can be had for $45 to $50 per month prepaid. Plus you can buy a very high quality unlocked GSM phone that will work on both T Mobile or AT&T for $300 from Google called the LG Nexus 4.

Old 04-22-2013, 08:08 PM

2,765 posts, read 8,327,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slim04 View Post
Wow, I am surprised with these responses. AT&T and Verizon both picked the DC area as one of their key areas of focus, so they devote way more cell towers and infrastructure here than most regions in the country. For example, when they both first started putting in LTE towers, they chose DC as the first cities to get them. When Sprint decided to do this years later after their WiMax 4G failed, they chose Baltimore instead.

Sprint and T Mobile also have other issues besides towers. Each does not have access to much space in low frequency bands, as they rely on higher frequency bands. Higher frequency bands do not penetrate walls very easily, so you get terrible reception indoors vs. outside.

I had Sprint and had trouble getting calls to my cell phone in both my house and office, so I switched after a few months. The data speeds to Sprint were pretty slow as well. I usually hear a lot of complaining about Sprint, especially after they added the iPhone and got a lot of traffic on their 3G network. Too bad because Sprint and T Mobile are much cheaper, especially if you go prepaid.

Not to say the cost saving are not worth it. T Mobile unlimited plans can be had for $45 to $50 per month prepaid. Plus you can buy a very high quality unlocked GSM phone that will work on both T Mobile or AT&T for $300 from Google called the LG Nexus 4.
Thank You, that was good info. Do you work in communications?

Old 04-23-2013, 08:46 AM

979 posts, read 1,775,617 times
hmm...I'm inside my office right now and am only one bar shy of full bars on my Sprint phone. I had to stand right next to my back patio doors to get enough service to be able to talk on my cell phone in my townhouse when I had Verizon. I've actually even driven through the Hampton Roads Bridge Tunnel on 64 heading to/from Virginia Beach and was able to not drop the call on my Sprint phone. So, while I won't contest the technical information included above (because I'm completely non-technical), the statements about service don't necessarily apply across the board.

Old 04-23-2013, 09:05 AM

725 posts, read 1,240,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jillybean720 View Post
hmm...I'm inside my office right now and am only one bar shy of full bars on my Sprint phone. I had to stand right next to my back patio doors to get enough service to be able to talk on my cell phone in my townhouse when I had Verizon. I've actually even driven through the Hampton Roads Bridge Tunnel on 64 heading to/from Virginia Beach and was able to not drop the call on my Sprint phone. So, while I won't contest the technical information included above (because I'm completely non-technical), the statements about service don't necessarily apply across the board.
My personal experience with Sprint (I've been with them since 2005) is very mixed but I find that their service in the DC area is pretty good. At home I have no problems, and though my signal at work is pretty bad I can still make and receive clear calls from there. I attribute that more to my location in the middle of a gargantuan building than any fault of Sprint, as a lot of my coworkers who have various cell services have poor signals too.

However, about six months ago, without warning, Sprint completely rebuilt the tower closest to my house, effectively rendering my phone useless at home (no calls, no text, no internet) for a month. This was INFURIATING, however, since I have a Texas number I figure that they had no idea that I even lived in the area where they were rebuilding the tower. It was particularly annoying because once I got about half a mile away from my house in any direction, my phone worked perfectly.

Overall, I think Sprint is pretty solid here. My phone works in the 395 tunnel in DC (handsfree of course) and in the HRBT as the poster above noted. 4G is hit-or-miss but is quick enough for my needs when it's reliably working. 3G is fairly slow though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia