Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2013, 02:05 PM

8,868 posts, read 12,582,878 times

Advertisements

Tales From The Sharrows: The Ideal Cyclist (UPDATE)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2013, 05:42 PM

7,670 posts, read 14,269,024 times
I saw one of the worst "less" Ideal Cyclist yesterday in Dunn Loring. Was driving down Cedar Ln approaching the W&OD trail in the middle of the afternoon when I saw a rider coming down the path and cross Cedar without slowing down. (He was flying) I didn't even see him look but it's possible he did. I don't know how he could have possibly had the time to make certain no car would hit him.

Old 04-25-2013, 07:01 PM

3,062 posts, read 7,046,751 times
Someone who actually rides their bike. Regardless of their biking behavior, more people should be riding their bikes. It's good for you and good for the planet.

I will never understand the animosity that car drivers have towards cyclists just because a couple of them didn't stop at a stop sign.

Old 04-25-2013, 07:05 PM

1,339 posts, read 3,471,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles22 View Post
Someone who actually rides their bike. Regardless of their biking behavior, more people should be riding their bikes. It's good for you and good for the planet.

I will never understand the animosity that car drivers have towards cyclists just because a couple of them didn't stop at a stop sign.
Unfortunately, it is never just a couple who don't stop. It's a significant chunk who will not stop at a stop sign and make their way in-between a line of stop-and-go cars in traffic.

Old 04-25-2013, 07:41 PM

5,125 posts, read 10,104,365 times
I have tried to become more sensitive to the rights of cyclists while driving in NoVa. However, as a frequent pedestrian in DC, I wish cyclists were more attuned to their obligations towards pedestrians. Many obey their own rules of the road/street/sidewalks, and a cutesy little piece in a local blog won't change that.

Old 04-25-2013, 11:27 PM

1,403 posts, read 2,154,019 times
Ideal cyclist?

Old 04-26-2013, 09:09 AM

267 posts, read 512,391 times
Quote:
Its significantly more than just a couple. On my daily commute I cross the WO&D trail four times. And I'd estimate that around 20% of the cyclists actually stop for the stop signs. The rest either hesitate a bit or just blow right through them.

The "ideal cyclist" is the one that stays home. They're a menace to public safety.

Old 04-26-2013, 10:59 AM

158 posts, read 217,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPHokie View Post
Its significantly more than just a couple. On my daily commute I cross the WO&D trail four times. And I'd estimate that around 20% of the cyclists actually stop for the stop signs. The rest either hesitate a bit or just blow right through them.

The "ideal cyclist" is the one that stays home. They're a menace to public safety.
Blah, Blah, Blah. Your saying that only 20% stop at signg when crossing the street from the major bike trails. If that was the case there were be alot more fatalities for bike riders in DC.

I am going to go ride my 1K bike today with a big smile on my face.

Old 04-26-2013, 12:40 PM

1,339 posts, read 3,471,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ItalianExec View Post
Blah, Blah, Blah. Your saying that only 20% stop at signg when crossing the street from the major bike trails. If that was the case there were be alot more fatalities for bike riders in DC.

I am going to go ride my 1K bike today with a big smile on my face.
That alone cannot be a reason to dispute the numbers though I understand there are no official statistics on this. Car drivers can and do brake to let the cyclists proceed along their merry, carefree way thus resulting in less fatalities.

Enjoy your ride today. Cyclists with a big smile on their faces aren't the problem; it's the ones with little respect for traffic laws that are a menace.

Old 04-27-2013, 12:36 AM

206 posts, read 432,954 times
Quote:
It's a lot more than that. I'm tired, so here's one thing: we are in our cars because he have places to go and things to do. It's not pleasant being stuck behind a bespandexed Lance Armstrong wannabe plodding along, not even able to keep up to the 25, 35, 45 mph speed of traffic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia