Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2012, 12:37 PM

4 posts, read 11,386 times

Advertisements

Was wondering how good/bad the area of Dale City is that's sandwiched south of PW Pkwy, north of Dale Blvd, west of Minnieville Rd, east of Ridgefield Rd...where most of the street names begin with the letters H and K? Would a single female be reasonably safe in this area, especially out walking her dogs?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2012, 01:26 PM

12,906 posts, read 15,687,366 times
I know exactly the area which you talk about. My friend lived in the "H" neighborhood until 1994 and my coworker moved out of the "K" neighborhood last year. Both had felt the neighborhood was pretty shot. I wouldn't say it is unsafe and I would have no issues walking around in the daytime but I probably wouldn't do it at night.

Old 05-11-2012, 01:58 PM

617 posts, read 1,358,127 times
I live in Lake Ridge, sort of near these neighborhoods. Had a close friend who lived in the "G" neighborhood which is a little south of the ones you're asking about but still in your four street area. He moved last year due to a work transfer. I never felt unsafe visiting him, though he did complain that the house next door was overcrowded/unsafe/hazardous with Hispanic folks. His complaint, not mine, may have to do a bit with his rural upbringing, though his complaint probably had merit taken strictly from the unsafve/hazardous view and ignoring the uglier side of it.

Don't know as much about the other neighborhoods, but the northern corner of your designated area is newer construction with bigger houses. I also noticed that there aren't any through streets from the K neighborhood going west. If you live in the upper part of the K neighborhood, it looks like you have to go damn near a mile south on Kerrydale, then a mile west on Dale Boulevard, just to get to areas that might be a short walk otherwise. That would annoy me.

Old 05-11-2012, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forehead View Post
I live in Lake Ridge, sort of near these neighborhoods. Had a close friend who lived in the "G" neighborhood which is a little south of the ones you're asking about but still in your four street area. He moved last year due to a work transfer. I never felt unsafe visiting him, though he did complain that the house next door was overcrowded/unsafe/hazardous with Hispanic folks. His complaint, not mine, may have to do a bit with his rural upbringing, though his complaint probably had merit taken strictly from the unsafve/hazardous view and ignoring the uglier side of it.
My friend in the Kerrydale neighborhood had the same complaint with overcrowded housing.

Old 05-11-2012, 02:13 PM

7,670 posts, read 14,267,635 times
The areas around Hillendale/Kerrydale in Dale City is an older area with a wide mix of people there. Plenty of good people live there but if my daughter asked me if she should move there I would emphatically tell her NO.

Old 05-11-2012, 04:19 PM

41 posts, read 74,676 times
I currently live in Dale City and would not recommend it to anyone. I echo the other statements here, and also do not walk with my german shepherd past dark (or without for that matter). The area is more for minority or multi-generational families. I would recommend Stafford which is a few miles south. It's still small town and affordable for the area with good shopping. The city is also a mix of people - just, calmer. We're moving back down there since it's more suited to what we're looking for.

Old 05-11-2012, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by modelpenguin View Post
I currently live in Dale City and would not recommend it to anyone. I echo the other statements here, and also do not walk with my german shepherd past dark (or without for that matter). The area is more for minority or multi-generational families. I would recommend Stafford which is a few miles south. It's still small town and affordable for the area with good shopping. The city is also a mix of people - just, calmer. We're moving back down there since it's more suited to what we're looking for.
I don't agree that the whole of Dale City is a problem. Technically, I live in Dale City although I am not in the "alphabet" neihborhoods, I am off Cardinal Drive over by Montclair. I walk often and I walk alone. I have not qualms about walking my dog around the block at night. My neighborhood is about as far from "minority and multi-generational" as you can get. And that just about 5 miles from the "H" and "K" neighborhoods.

While I agree that Stafford is nice, it's just not feasible for everyone who has to commute up north--heck--Woodbridge is too far. I'd be nuts to had another 15 miles to that trip. I think some nice places can be found that are safe and friendly without writing the whole of Woodbridge off.

Old 05-11-2012, 05:20 PM

10,125 posts, read 14,007,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by modelpenguin View Post

Old 05-11-2012, 05:25 PM

10,125 posts, read 14,007,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forehead View Post

Don't know as much about the other neighborhoods, but the northern corner of your designated area is newer construction with bigger houses. I also noticed that there aren't any through streets from the K neighborhood going west. If you live in the upper part of the K neighborhood, it looks like you have to go damn near a mile south on Kerrydale, then a mile west on Dale Boulevard, just to get to areas that might be a short walk otherwise. That would annoy me.
I'm hoping to move my family down to Lake Ridge soon and I was curious, given how close Dale City is to parts like County Center and Westridge, has there been any noticable carry over of crime from Dale City over to Lake Ridge?

Old 05-11-2012, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgtitans View Post

This is a nice way of saying that there are Hispanics living in these houses, small houses, with very large families. Lots of people living in one house.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia