Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2013, 09:38 AM

38 posts, read 84,297 times

Advertisements

My work in Fredericksburg is from 7 am to 7 pm on Mondays. Either 7 am to 1 pm or 1 pm to 7 pm rest of week. And 8 am to 2 pm on Sat. Ppl on this forum says I98 traffic is horrible.

Would I stuck in the traffic like rest of ppl? How would my commute be like for my work hours ? Google map says only take appox 30 min from Woodbridge to Fredericksburg. Is it pretty accurate? Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2013, 09:53 AM

1,196 posts, read 2,529,133 times
You work with dogs? Just asking because those shifts are similar to kennels and doggie daycares.

Your commute will be fine you'll be traveling during non peak times and you'll be reverse commuting on Mondays.

Old 05-10-2013, 10:00 AM

I work in health care for human how is the commute from Woodbridge to DC on fri and sat nights? The reason I live in Woodbridge is to access nightlife in DC during weekends else I would just live in Fredericksburg

Old 05-10-2013, 10:28 AM

1,196 posts, read 2,529,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoothy604 View Post
I work in health care for human how is the commute from Woodbridge to DC on fri and sat nights? The reason I live in Woodbridge is to access nightlife in DC during weekends else I would just live in Fredericksburg
On Friday and Saturday nights its more traffic than usual and there can be bottle necks but overall its much smoother than rush hours. Chances are the HOV lanes we be open northbound. You'll probably be able to drive from Woodbridge to DC in about 30-40 mins tops.

Old 05-10-2013, 10:44 AM

6,556 posts, read 8,387,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahatma X View Post
On Friday and Saturday nights its more traffic than usual and there can be bottle necks but overall its much smoother than rush hours. Chances are the HOV lanes we be open northbound. You'll probably be able to drive from Woodbridge to DC in about 30-40 mins tops.
HOV is not open for northbound traffic on Friday nights. But OP could take use them to get into DC on Saturday nights.

Old 05-10-2013, 03:49 PM

I wouldn't drive up north to DC on Friday nights too often since I have to work at 8 am on Sat. morning. It's nice to hear HOV open on Sat nights because I plan to experience DC nightlife every Sat

Old 05-12-2013, 09:43 AM

2,380 posts, read 4,515,268 times
If you have a friend up in DC then treat her/him to dinner every so often in exchange for crashing privileges. Or make friends. :P

Fredericksburg is hardly a dead zone -- since you'll be socializing in DC 1-2x a week and working 4-5x a week, why not live in/near Fredericksburg and enjoy what it has to offer.

Woodbridge/Dale City offers you the worst of both worlds IMO -- more expensive than Fredericksburg (due to distance), less going on than Fredericksburg, and you're still on I-95 to head into the city.

If nightlife is a big priority, Dale City would be maybe a 2-3 out of 10 (I guess the strip mall bars will have live music on Fri/Sat nights), DC a 9-10 out of 10, and downtown Fredericksburg a 5-6 out of 10.

The difference between downtown Fredericksburg and an individual cool neighborhood of DC is that downtown Fredericksburg is surrounded by "massive blobs of suburbia" and cool parts of DC are surrounded by "more cool parts of DC".

Old 05-12-2013, 10:16 AM

4,489 posts, read 10,944,195 times
Are you going to know people in DC to go out with?

My guess is that since your work is in Fredericksburg, your colleagues will be in F'burg, so your social network will develop down there.

It's going to be hard to really go out in DC if you have to drive all the way back to Woodbridge at the end of the night.

Old 05-13-2013, 06:09 AM

My husband made the trip this morning. Leaving our house in Lake Ridge at 7:00am, he made it to Exit 130 in 35 minutes.

But like others have chimed in, if you're planning to go into DC mostly on Saturday nights only, you may want to consider living in Fredericksburg. If you've been drinking, there is no sensible way from DC to Woodbridge late night/early morning anyway. The metro stops at Springfield, and then you'd have to cab it to Woodbridge which is not cheap. So even if you were to live in Woodbridge, you should look at staying with friends in/near DC or get a hotel room for the night (if you've been drinking).

We live in the Lake Ridge part of Woodbridge, and when my husband goes into DC for guy's night out - they get a room because there is no way for them to safely get home (and none of us wives are happy to make the trip to pick them up in the wee hours of the morning).

Old 05-13-2013, 05:17 PM

Update: Husbands commute from Fred to Lake Ridge was 55 minutes this afternoon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia