Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-05-2007, 03:35 PM

2 posts, read 2,914 times

Advertisements

I'm a 22 year old recent college graduate who has plans to relocate to Northern Virginia from South Carolina. I wanted to gain a little more insight on the area, i've only visited twice & i'm pretty sure I don't know as much as I should know about the area...

First and Foremost, if I was interested in renting an apartment within the price range of $ 1000-1500 per month what areas would be perfect? (Safe, Diverse, etc..) I don't have plans to work in DC so i'm not concerned about traffic going into that particular area.

In terms of diversity is the area very progressive? I'm bi-racial so I'm interested in interacting with individuals from numerous cultures and backgrounds.

What would the job prospects be for someone who posesses two Associate's Degrees? I have an Associate's Degree in Management & an Associate's Degree in Paralegal Studies. I also have 4 years of legal experience. Would it be unreasonable to request a salary of at least $40,000?

If you have any other suggestions or comments, I would love to hear them!!
Thank You!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2007, 06:51 PM

1,727 posts, read 2,011,623 times
Hi, welcome!

Your price range sounds just fine. It probably opens up too many options for us to even start to list. Do you want to be in the city? Close to the city? Close to work? In the suburbs (probably not, right?)? Any other criteria?

A few areas that I might toss out that are in VA, but closer in would include Falls Church, Arlington, and Alexandria. In all cases, you'd want to double check any neighborhoods or apartment complexes.

As a whole I would call it progressive. I was finding the suburbs to be very materialistic - maybe everyone made too much money on real estate, not sure. There are also some suburban neighborhoods where the Republicans head (and others where the Democrats head), supposedly! Now, I would guess you are looking at areas closer in to the city, which are, I think, less materialistic and more eclectic.

I'm not quite sure about the job prospects for your degree, just because that's not something I would really know about. I think salaries might be higher than you think, but I'll leave it for someone else to comment on that.

Old 11-07-2007, 10:12 PM

2 posts, read 2,914 times
I'm looking to move into the city, i'm not interested in living somewhere that is predominately "family-oriented" (not the city itself but the neighborhood where I plan to reside).

I have two job prospects from 2 law firms (one is in Arlington, and the other is in Alexandria). I went to apartmentratings.com & it appeared that Arlington apartments are much better than the apartments in Alexandria so i'm leaning toward Arlington at this point in time.

Old 11-08-2007, 03:53 AM

2,482 posts, read 8,746,267 times
Remember apartmentratings.com only show the complaints of people, not the ones who are satisfied (often) because those of us who are happy with our apartments probably won't take the time to do so.

Alexandria is a very beautiful city with a close-knight "small town" feeling. There is a lot of shopping and a lot of things to do. Arlington is more "hip" with a lot of young people but I would say the area as a whole is pretty "sanitized"...aka lots of white people.

As for your degree, I'm not sure what the average for working at law firms is but typically the 35k-40k range is a good number to start off at. Good luck!

Old 11-08-2007, 04:53 AM

1,727 posts, read 2,011,623 times
Yes, Alexandria is nice too. I am more familiar with Arlington, specifically Courthouse (I would veto this for you), Clarendon (this might be interesting - I know the area but not the apartments) and Ballston (maybe interesting as well). Here is a link I just came across - no ratings, but it searches apartment complexes that are near specific metro stops!

Apartment Showcase.com - Find Apartments near the Metro Rail in Maryland, Washington DC and Northern Virginia
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia