Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2013, 12:52 PM

1 posts, read 3,128 times

Advertisements

I need advice on where to live. I got a job working in Falls Church (right next to Skyline Towers) but have been told by friends that live in NOVA not to live in that area. They say it is not as safe, not much to do in that area, and that I would be a minority. I am a single, 33 year old female. I would like to spend no more than $1500/month in rent. I will still have my car and will need parking. If I have to pay for parking I would like that and rent still not to exceed $1500. One friend recommended Clarendon but I know that I can't afford a place near there with my budget. I haven't had a roommate in years, but if that is the place to live I would get a roommate. Another friend lives in a new nice apartment in the Penrose area off Columbia Pike and suggested that area. Should I look at the Clarendon area, farther south and not within walking distance of the metro, skyline towers, basement apartment in Arlington, or Alexandria? I don't need the Metro to get to work but for weeknight and weekends it would be nice to be near a station. I don't want to have to spend more than 30min getting to work (that is what makes the skyline towers so desirable, but then will have to drive to get anywhere else). I would like a washer/dryer in my place, assigned parking, and a balcony. Any advice would be helpful. I should be starting my job in July but will be staying farther south in the Stafford/Fredericksburg area until I find a place. Thanks for the input!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2013, 01:20 PM

2,189 posts, read 3,317,981 times
Do the people that tell you that about the Skyline(Baileys Crossroads) area have experience with it being unsafe? I used to live in Falls Church and although not that part I never got the sense it was unsafe, although I didn't spend much time there at night. I suppose you could check crime databases and see how much violent crime occurs there. A nicer part of Falls Church is zip code 22046. It would be a little more difficult with that budget but you could possibly find a small condo for rent for that price. I don't know about the washer/dryer in unit though. The rentals I've seen in that price range have community laundry rooms.

Old 06-17-2013, 02:16 PM

1,630 posts, read 2,360,672 times
Well there was apparently a murder-suicide in Skyline Towers just this morning…

Possible murder-suicide in Fairfax County - The Washington Post

But unfortunate incidents like these could happen anywhere, by no means is it a ‘trend’ in this apt community. I know a couple of people who lived in Skyline Towers and had absolutely no problems. If you are okay with the presence of a large immigrant community around you, you should be just fine..plus, the ethnic food in this area and extending on toward Seven Corners cannot be beat!!

If you’re looking for a nicer bldg in the area, look at Baileys Crossings and the Alexander apt communities. Luxury living without the North Arlington price tag (but definitely minus the N.ARL neighborhood amenities)

Old 06-17-2013, 02:35 PM

540 posts, read 791,157 times
Well, to be frank, presuming that you are white you are going to be a minority in pretty much all apartment complexes that you can get in for $1500 or under inside the Beltway. There's nothing wrong with it, I certainly did it for years and never felt unsafe or out of place.

Orange line (Ballston, Clarendon, Courthouse) - Pros: Metro line, active restaurant/bar scene, the "hip" place to be - Cons: pretty much need a roommate, parking can be a hassle.

Penrose (east end of Columbia Pike) - Pros: Going through a revitalization process, good bus access to both the Metro and Skyline areas, lots of young people who can't afford to live on the Orange line - Cons: not directly on the Metro, more older apartment buildings, probably going to be a lot of construction on the trolley lines soon

Skyline/Bailey's (west end of Columbia Pike) - Pros: Close to your work, less expensive than other places, Cons: further from metro, probably won't have friends coming down to your area to go out in the evening, more crime? - Neutral: much more of an international feel, many non-english speakers

Falls Church (7 corners and NW) - Pros: Pretty easy access to both your work and to the metro (EFC or WFC, depending), highly variable apartment stock, further NW you get on Leesburg Pike the more city-like (yuppie?) it will feel, Cons: the 7 corners intersection itself can be a mess traffic-wise though it is best if you aren't turning, still in no-man's land where you will be the one always going to visit others

Room rental in house (Alex/Arl) - too variable to say much about. Location is important, obviously.

Old 06-17-2013, 02:53 PM

448 posts, read 870,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PK12 View Post
If you are okay with the presence of a large immigrant community around you, you should be just fine..plus, the ethnic food in this area and extending on toward Seven Corners cannot be beat!!

If you’re looking for a nicer bldg in the area, look at Baileys Crossings and the Alexander apt communities. Luxury living without the North Arlington price tag (but definitely minus the N.ARL neighborhood amenities)
Co-sign to the above

I lived in the Baileys area for five years; I like the area and did/do not find the area to be crime prone. (I still do business in the area) Let's kick the ballistics here; some people associate large non-Asian minority populations as being "dangerous".

Baileys may not have a 'vibrant' night life, but is convenient to a lot of areas (Arlington, Alexandria, Falls Church City, Springfield, Annandale and 395 is close to take you to DC or the airport) and as PK12 mentioned above there are many nice places to eat in the area . I would definitely NOT take it off of my consideration list if I were you.

Along with Skyline itself, you can try Munson Hill apartments which is down the street. It is secure and has free parking...

PM me if you would like more information

Old 06-17-2013, 04:36 PM

5,759 posts, read 10,728,463 times
I work in the area and live a few miles away from it, in Arlington, so I drive through there all the time.

If you're going to live in Baileys Crossroads, try to get as far to the southeast as possible, down Seminary Road, toward Nova Community College and Beauregard. OR down Route 7 (aka Leesburg Pike, aka King Street) toward Old Town. The Fairlington community (just east of 395 on Route 7) is very nice; search CL for some rentals or drive over there and ask someone who looks friendly if they know of any.

You definitely don't want to live west of Skyline on Route 7, toward Culmore. That area is 99% illegal immigrants, and some of them are in gangs. (So says the Culmore-dwelling illegal immigrant I hire to help me with home projects.)

In the other direction (toward Skyline), the apartments seem to be mostly families (many of them Middle Eastern). Even farther east is Southern Towers; I don't know much about it. Dowdy on the outside, but it might be OK inside. No idea. There's a much newer looking building somewhat behind it, presumably on Beauregard. You might take a day to drive around and look at places.

You could also try to find a townhouse to rent in one of the developments at the SW side of the Seminary/Beauregard intersection (off of Echols). One very nice development at that is Seminary Park. There's another one right next to it--can't recall the name. I walk through there all the time from my car to my job. Seems very stable and quiet.

What you also could do is find another young woman to share a rental house with in that area. Nowhere near the Metro, but the savings would be enough that your metered parking (or cab) would be more than covered on the weekends, if you go to Clarendon. You could drive around that area south of Seminary/west of Beauregard and also farther down Seminary (on the other side of 395). The latter is much nicer and fairly affluent, though--so there might not be much in the way of rentals.

Good luck!

Last edited by Carlingtonian; 06-17-2013 at 04:58 PM..

Old 06-17-2013, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlingtonian View Post

In the other direction (toward Skyline), the apartments seem to be mostly families (many of them Middle Eastern). Even farther east is Southern Towers; I don't know much about it. Dowdy on the outside, but it might be OK inside. No idea. There's a much newer looking building somewhat behind it, presumably on Beauregard. You might take a day to drive around and look at places.
I don't think they are taking any new people because they are planning to demolish those apartments sometime in the next year or so. Besides, I hear there are major roach problems there

Old 06-17-2013, 06:45 PM

15,145 posts, read 27,800,655 times
They are demolishing Southern Towers?

Old 06-17-2013, 06:50 PM

5,759 posts, read 10,728,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkseid View Post
I don't think they are taking any new people because they are planning to demolish those apartments sometime in the next year or so. Besides, I hear there are major roach problems there
Wow, had no idea.

On the other hand--cheap rent!

Old 06-17-2013, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingo13 View Post
They are demolishing Southern Towers?
I am pretty sure it is part of this plan:
Alexandria City Council Approves Beauregard Rezoning | NBC4 Washington
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia