Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2013, 10:50 PM

5 posts, read 7,918 times

Advertisements

Husband works in Reston and we live in Maryland. We are considering moving to Virginia. Is there anywhere we can live that is nice and is a commute under one hour to Reston that is not in a flight path?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2013, 04:22 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,089,604 times
I don't think you can completely get away from hearing an occasional plane overhead, but it's not a big problem in the area around Reston (as far as I know). Possibly south Reston might have more of an issue with this--those who live down that way would know better than I would.Chantilly has an issue with it, I believe. FWIW I live in Cascades, which is 6-7 miles from Reston, and rarely hear the planes at all (although we do sometimes see them flying high overhead). If you want a place that has absolutely no planes overhead at all, I don't think that's possible, as flights fly in all directions. But if you choose to live in Reston or the communities north of Reston, it's really not an annoyance--what planes you do see are very high up and you rarely hear them.

Old 06-26-2013, 05:17 AM

2,380 posts, read 4,516,197 times
Depends, what's your budget? Something like Fairfax City, Vienna, or Leesburg might work ... the key is you want to be far away from the flight path. Of course if your noise sensitivity is very high you might either have to work around it or do an extreme commute from Frederick or Manassas ...

Old 06-26-2013, 06:17 AM

2,090 posts, read 4,247,994 times
I live in South Lakes area of Reston and don't have a problem. Most of the flight paths for Dulles are in the north/south direction from the airport (there is only one east/west runway at Dulles) The planes going over my part of Reston are pretty high up and headed/from for Reagan National.

As our slogan says - Live/Work/Play in Reston! Living anywhere in Reston should give your husband less than a 15 minute commute to anywhere in Reston.

ETA: Link to Dulles Noise information
http://www.metwashairports.com/dulles/2542.htm

Old 06-26-2013, 06:52 AM

Budget is in the 400-500 k range. For Reston is that more what you could get a townhouse for or are there single family homes in that range? I've also thought of Leesburg. Last child going to college so we would be downsizing from a large house.

Old 06-26-2013, 06:55 AM

89 posts, read 179,072 times
I lived in Ashburn for 20 years. Perhaps I got used to it, but living that close to IAD was never an issue. I really wouldn't use flights into IAD as any significant part of my decision making process at all, unless the issue is something causing a medical/psychological problem. In which case, with IAD and DCA, you might need to go pretty far out to completely avoid it.

Old 06-26-2013, 07:46 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,089,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maryland girl View Post
Budget is in the 400-500 k range. For Reston is that more what you could get a townhouse for or are there single family homes in that range? I've also thought of Leesburg. Last child going to college so we would be downsizing from a large house.
Might be a little low for Reston, although since you're downsizing you might find a few places that work well for you. eastern Loudoun County, especially the areas along the river (Cascades and Countryside) would work well with that budget and don't have much air traffic at all. I live about 1/4 mile from the Potomac and Reston Townn Center is an easy drive, a 7-mile straight shot down Fairfax County Parkway.

Old 06-26-2013, 07:57 AM

Your price range is too low for any detached houses I would recommend in Reston. There are great condo and townhouse options in your price range. Here are a few to be sure to check out.

Waterfront Condo on a great lake
11136 HARBOR CT #11136, RESTON, VA 20191 | Listing Information | MRIShomes.com

Townhouse on/near golf course
2126 GLENCOURSE LN, RESTON, VA 20191 | Listing Information | MRIShomes.com
11731 INDIAN RIDGE RD, RESTON, VA 20191 | Listing Information | MRIShomes.com

Townhouse walking distance to new Metro stop
2041 WETHERSFIELD CT, RESTON, VA 20191 | Listing Information | MRIShomes.com

Old 06-26-2013, 09:30 AM

Thank you for all the info. What about the Leesburg area - are the prices better and do they have a strong real estate market - if we bought something would it appreciate well?

Old 06-26-2013, 09:58 AM

I'm not very familar with Leesburg real estate, but my expectation is that the farther you get away from DC the lower the prices are now and the less appreciation you will see in the future.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia