Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-03-2013, 12:04 PM

10,125 posts, read 13,979,004 times

Advertisements

I know that Reston is/is becoming a big job hub and it's becoming even bigger, so I was curious as to what people do who have to commute from the Woodbridge area up to Reston/Herndon. Do you drive, do you take the bus, do you ride the train part of the way, or a combination of those things? Also how long of a commute do you generally have?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2013, 12:34 PM

1,077 posts, read 1,784,056 times
My wife commutes by car about 1 day a week from our location in southwest Springfield (almost Lorton) to Reston. So, not quite Woodbridge, but she would share much of the same drive as someone coming from Woodbridge. She usually takes 95/495/267, which she has found to be slightly faster than taking the Fairfax County Parkway. Her door to door is probably 45 minutes to an hour and, other than high volume, she says she rarely encounters any real traffic. That said, the stretch of 95 from where she gets on/off (the FFX County Pkwy exit) to Woodbridge seems to get pretty jammed from what I have seen, so I would think that could easily add another 30 minutes (if not more) to the drive time during peak travel times.

Not aware of any real transit alternatives, but I'm sure there must be something. Maybe there are some express-type buses from the Franconia-Springfield Metro or one of the VRE stations. I suppose you could do VRE to Metro to WFC Metro and then take a bus, but I think that would be an awfully long commute.

Old 07-03-2013, 12:48 PM

979 posts, read 1,774,985 times
When I lived in Lake Ridge and worked in Herndon, my office was right off of 28, so I went around Prince William Parkway to 28 north. If I wanted to change it up, I'd take 123 north to Fairfax County Parkway north. I hate highway traffic, so I always avoided getting on 95 north in the morning. It typically took me about 45-50 minutes, but I was also working earlier than the major rush hour.

Old 07-03-2013, 06:54 PM

1,615 posts, read 2,140,103 times
I commuted from Dale City to Herndon Spring St then near 28 and McLearen. I had to go via the Prince William parkway then 28. This was a worse commute than Dale City to Ft Belvior by far. I could not stand the stressful commute and ended up moving to Herndon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia