Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2013, 09:03 AM

406 posts, read 625,354 times

Advertisements

We are looking for the best thrift stores in the area. We usually buy all of the children clothes and most of our casual clothes from the thrift stores in our home town.

Items we normally purchase from thrift stores:
Children's clothing
Furniture
All children's toys (2&4 year old boys)
All children books
Towles
Small appliances and housewares
All of my casual clothes

I am looking forward to learning about all the good places to go thrifting in the area.

Sent from my GT-N8013 using Tapatalk 2
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2013, 09:28 AM

870 posts, read 2,110,052 times
What particular areas of NoVA are you looking at? There are some very nice thrift stores, some very sketchy ones, and tons in between, but recommendations will vary depending on what part of the area you will be in.

Old 07-16-2013, 09:47 AM

We will be in Kingstowne in Franconia.

We travel about 30 minutes now to get to our favorite thrift store in New Orleans.

Sent from my GT-N8013 using Tapatalk 2

Old 07-16-2013, 11:14 AM

4,489 posts, read 10,946,208 times
Unique in Falls Church is the largest I've found in the area. I haven't found any stellar deals there (anything with a designer label is priced accordingly), but they have lots of stuff to choose from. I mostly buy books for my classroom and board games for after school clubs, and have been happy.

http://www.imunique.com/

Old 07-16-2013, 11:48 AM

671 posts, read 1,118,837 times
There is a new(ish) store in Woodbridge on route 1 https://plus.google.com/112238122493...69/about?hl=en
B-thrifty No personal experience but it is big(an old Kmart store), and know that you are going to the 'poor side of town' as opposed to Falls Church.
Woodbridge also has a Value Village.

Old 07-16-2013, 12:03 PM

9,779 posts, read 15,790,796 times
I am/was a frequent Unique shopper. If you go, join their VIP program and you can get 25% every Thursday. Also, every Monday is 25% off day for everyone. If you get on their email list, you will get emailed specials that they have about every month around the holidays - 50% off days. They are crazy busy, but you can get some great deals. They have more merchandise than any thirft store I have ever been in. The store is huge. It used to be a furniture store to give you an idea of the size.

I buy books there, too. Kids books are 69 cents. I find great ones all the time - Curious George, Magic Treehouse, Thomas books, etc.

Kids' clothes can be anywhere from $2 to $10, but there is so much stock that you can usually find what you want. Obviously, you do better on discount days.

There is a big men's section and housewares, etc.

As with other thrift stores, some days are better than others. But it is a rare day that I don't find something there. They have store locations in Maryland which may actually be closer to you, not sure. But Gallows Rd. shouldn't be too far. They were supposedly opening one in Woodbridge but I haven't seen it listed on their site yet.

Check it out, but be warned when I went there a few weeks ago, it was hotter than heck in there. No AC, just fans!

Old 07-16-2013, 12:25 PM

Thanks for the tips. B Thrifty is 20 minutes away from me and within my driving range for good deals. We'll definitely visit this thrift store when we get in town.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk 2

Old 07-16-2013, 12:49 PM

1,848 posts, read 3,727,639 times
There is a kids consignment shop on Beulah, next door to Nalls garden shop. It is very small, but worth stopping in every so often for the kids stuff. Great place to get rid of your stuff as well. There is also a huge consignment sale twice a year (Spring/winter) at Calvery Baptist church just past Manchester lakes. Look for the signs, they have everything for kids.

Old 07-16-2013, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slduvall View Post
There is a kids consignment shop on Beulah, next door to Nalls garden shop. It is very small, but worth stopping in every so often for the kids stuff. Great place to get rid of your stuff as well. There is also a huge consignment sale twice a year (Spring/winter) at Calvery Baptist church just past Manchester lakes. Look for the signs, they have everything for kids.
This is really good information. Thanks so much for sharing. I'll add this to my calendar of events.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk 2

Old 07-16-2013, 03:14 PM

2,688 posts, read 6,684,139 times
Ditto what SLDuvall said -- the store on Beulah Street is called Kids Again:

Kids Again

The Calvary Road Baptist Church sale is huge; this was the most recent one so check their website for the fall one:

Calvary Road Baptist Church ? ? ? Alexandria, Virginia

The Alexandria Jaycees have yard sales at Lane Elementary School, although I don't know the schedule.

All of these locations are just outside of Kingstowne on Beulah Street.

Kingstowne itself also has community-wide yard sales, as do several of the neighboring communities. Watch for signs!

Welcome to the area. When will you be moving in?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia