Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2013, 08:58 AM

9,887 posts, read 14,166,766 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigfoot424 View Post
I'm not sure I understand the constant bashing of Manassas but if it makes you feel better then by all means have at it. I'm in Manassas and I avoid this stretch of 234 most everytime I am out and about. Traffic is a pain there but it does have pretty much everything you need. Don't like it then come into Manassas a different way. 28 from Centreville (still traffic) or go to the next exit off 66 (234 bypass and come in that way)
I wasn't bashing Manassas, I was making a comment on a particularly long stretch of chain retail and restaurants. It just happened to be in Manassas that I saw it. There is a similar stretch (although not as long) in Fredricksburg. While being close to this would be a huge turn-off to me, I was curious if others actually found it a bonus. From the responses, it appears they do.

(I happened to think that the Old Town Manassas was very charming.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2013, 09:34 AM

1,532 posts, read 2,269,941 times
I find these long strips of stores really annoying whether it's in Manassas, Vienna, etc. The traffic, the lights, etc doesn't make it hugely convenient. Obviously, if circumventing these type of areas necessitates really going out of your way, then of course, most would rather have this option than nothing at all. One thing I have found when I've had to take Business 234 as far as the hospital during evening rush, it's not that bad since I think the lights are timed better.

Old 07-29-2013, 10:04 AM

670 posts, read 1,280,157 times
I see it as a good thing. I used to live in NOVA and now live in FL and really hate having to drive long distances to grab a bite to eat or shop.

Old 07-29-2013, 11:22 AM

2,380 posts, read 4,520,972 times
Eventually you find the back streets to take to come out wherever you need on those commercial strips. I'd be more concerned with the immediate neighborhood. I probably wouldn't want to live in the first few houses right off those strips but that is just me.

Old 07-29-2013, 11:57 AM

4,458 posts, read 8,150,992 times
I work nearby and I like the fact that places to eat are nearby. Like others have said, I've learned routes to avoid it so I know the quick way to get to the restaurants I want.

Old 07-30-2013, 09:26 AM

9,781 posts, read 15,815,772 times
I don't see where anyone was bashing Manassas in this thread.

Old 07-31-2013, 03:15 PM

7,670 posts, read 14,266,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
I wasn't bashing Manassas, I was making a comment on a particularly long stretch of chain retail and restaurants. It just happened to be in Manassas that I saw it. There is a similar stretch (although not as long) in Fredricksburg. While being close to this would be a huge turn-off to me, I was curious if others actually found it a bonus. From the responses, it appears they do.

(I happened to think that the Old Town Manassas was very charming.)

I went back and reread what you wrote and I agree it wasn't bashing. Maybe I should slow down and read a little more carefully.

Old 07-31-2013, 05:42 PM

4,709 posts, read 12,690,028 times
I took a load of kids on a field trip to Splashdown Water Park the other day. Turned left off 234 onto Sudley Manor. Looked like a pretty nice neighborhood back in there...

Old 08-01-2013, 03:18 AM

7,670 posts, read 14,266,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by car54 View Post
I took a load of kids on a field trip to Splashdown Water Park the other day. Turned left off 234 onto Sudley Manor. Looked like a pretty nice neighborhood back in there...
Once you get past the townhome development on the left past the Ben Lomond Community Center the rest is not bad at all. Older neighborhood but it has always remained quiet and relatively crime free. The power lines are all buried back here as well which was pretty innovative when this first happened back in the 70's.

Old 08-05-2013, 06:57 PM

23 posts, read 58,171 times
Route 234 is congested, but definitely not as bad as the Potomac Mills area. At least in Manassas you do have alternative routes between old town and rte 66 (Ashton Avenue and PW Parkway). I do agree with another poster on this thread; although, Woodbridge has the huge Potomac Mills Mall; Old Town Manassas and Route 234 have retail offerings that are not found in Woodbridge (Barnes and Noble, Sears, Macy's, Ross Dress For Less and A.C. Moore) and the trek across the PW Parkway is much easier that heading up to Fairfax or down to Fredericksburg.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia