Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-14-2013, 06:49 PM

104 posts, read 205,507 times

Advertisements

Has anyone dealt w/ the fairfax cty buildings department for permits when doing your own renovations or house work? I am considering doing some DIY to repair recent water damage for our basement. As a result, part of the fire rated wall between townhomes had to be removed (not much, really). In order to put it back, I believe I need a permit. I am pretty sure I know what needs to be done (replace shaft liner and seal all joints with fire rated caulk) but I am afraid that if I submit for permit, the inspector will see other things that may be wrong as a result of the original builders (house was built in the late 80s). I don't want to open a can of worms that results in more money not related to the current issue.

I am wondering how they may deal with issues like me, strict, loose, depends?

Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2013, 09:14 PM

564 posts, read 1,497,311 times
You said cty....do you mean city or county? Assuming county, I got a permit once for a deck. They were petty laid back overall. I had to dig out the holes for 8 footings and the inspector had to approve them. I had plastic covering them to keep the rain out, inspector came by and pulled the plastic up to look into only one hole and said I was OK and left. Later when a different fellow checked the framing he took a couple of minutes and quickly approved again.

That said, they never actually came into my house for anything or were in a situation where they could see other things. But that was my experience with them FWIW.

Old 08-16-2013, 05:35 AM

Yes, I meant county. Thank you. I just wanted to get a feel of how laid back they are.

Old 08-16-2013, 08:55 AM

109 posts, read 156,190 times
If they are at your house and see a violation they HAVE to report it.

If they are at your house and see a violation in your neighbors yard they do NOT have to report it.

That is exactly what was said in a recent zoning board meeting.

Have a nice day

Old 08-16-2013, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulbunyan View Post
If they are at your house and see a violation they HAVE to report it.

If they are at your house and see a violation in your neighbors yard they do NOT have to report it.

That is exactly what was said in a recent zoning board meeting.

Have a nice day
Thank you. Very straight forward. You have a nice day too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia