Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2011, 12:23 PM

477 posts, read 737,818 times

Advertisements

so we planned for a family and friends gathering at a restaurant.

We told them there will be 50 people (adults and kids combined) or more.

They have a banquet hall..the guy told us the he would give the front side of the hall and put a partition towards the back side (in case if he needs it for a different party)

So we pay advance and write a contract for the day.
Contract does not say about which part of the hall is used for party. it only says # of people, day etc.It also says, I have to give the exact count 3 days before the party day.

So later he calls my wife and asks her if we can move party to Sunday(next day). She says no.
Then he says, he will have to move us to the back side since he got a new customer (with 100 guests). My wife says no. And tells him that will discuss with hubby and let him know.

That guy is not reachable, apparently he is out of country.

Later wife goes to restaurant to hand over the menu and the people there informs her that our party is moved to the backside.

Now..I am actually pissed off..So I called them.A different guy picks up, he says, "It is our policy. We move parties to the front or back depending upon the # of guests"

I argued with him that they never informed us. and they knew our guest count ahead..How could they move us around?

The guy tells me that he will find out and see what he can do. But doesn't promise.

I am not sure if this is abig thing to worry about. But I feel like bullied or pushed around and I don't like the tone of their manager. I just cannot take it and it is too late to reschedule (as most of my guests have RSVPd)

Is there anything I can do..like hire an attorney? (I am subscribed to a legal plan. I think expenses will be less..but not sure if they cover for these kind of problems) or complain to state board or unfair business practices?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2011, 12:39 PM

855 posts, read 1,174,690 times
does it say in the contract that the restaurant reserves the right to shift parties based on other engagements, or something to that effect? if not, then the restaurant can't move you, and if they do, they violated the contract and i guess you could get your money back and go someplace else.

Old 11-28-2011, 12:40 PM

5,759 posts, read 10,738,774 times
Did you pay with your credit card? If so, consider filing a chargeback after the charge shows up on your statement. I've done this with Chase several times, and each time, I prevailed. You'll have to do some paperwork, but it's worth it.

Old 11-28-2011, 12:46 PM

2,765 posts, read 8,337,786 times
which restaurant was it ?

Old 11-28-2011, 12:49 PM

491 posts, read 1,172,266 times
You saw the larger room? Is the front portion really any different from the back portion? Is one decorated differently? Does the back portion have the only kitchen access, so that everytime food comes out for the group that's in the front, the waiters will be walking through your party area?

I'm not sure that it would matter to me, if there's a partition (a solid partition, not a curtain--something to keep the sounds from the other side a bit muffled).

Take a step back, think about these things: Are you excited to have all your family and friends together? Is the food there good, or does the menu sound good? Do you think the cost was a good deal?

I really don't think this is worth getting yourself in a tizzy unless the space, when divided, leaves you in a dark, dingy, next-to-the-dishwashers place. Def. not lawsuit-worthy. (Lawsuit comes when somebody reserves for a big gathering, gets there and the place is shut and your money is gone.)

Restaurants have a right to make money, correct? So they booked a bigger party along with yours -- at least they didn't cancel out on you. With 2 big gatherings, they might even have to bring in extra workers. They're just trying to accommodate both parties. Just because they didn't agree to keep your original location doesn't sound like bullying to me. But are there additional facts here?

I understand the refusal to move the party date. But why was your wife, too, so against moving to the back space?

Old 11-28-2011, 12:50 PM

6,571 posts, read 8,424,883 times
I suggest that you take your contract and consult with an attorney - especially since you're subscribed to a legal plan. IMO, if the contract doesn't specify if you're renting the front or the back, nothing can be done about it.

Out of curiousity, would they expect your guests to walk through the party in the front to get to your party in the back? If so, I personally, would prefer to be in the back so that I wouldn't have random people walking through my party.

Old 11-28-2011, 01:01 PM

People can enter front and back sides through different entrances.

So it is like a large hall and they have 2 separate doors.

There isn't anything in the contract that says they can jump me around and also contract doesn't say anything about where the party will be hosted.

I am sure if I get into verbal argument with them, probably they will return my deposit, but the problem will be rescheduling, availability and notifying guests.

huh..I am trying to weigh which one is better..just suck up everything accept the back room ((wife visited that place today during her lunch time(close by her office) and says it is not bad..it is bigger and nicer just like front part but front part is little better)) OR fight..take money back..go else where.

But I definitely feel like complaining to BBB or any state regulators (are there any?) after the party.

Old 11-28-2011, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by persnicketygal View Post
You saw the larger room? Is the front portion really any different from the back portion? Is one decorated differently? Does the back portion have the only kitchen access, so that everytime food comes out for the group that's in the front, the waiters will be walking through your party area?

I'm not sure that it would matter to me, if there's a partition (a solid partition, not a curtain--something to keep the sounds from the other side a bit muffled).

Take a step back, think about these things: Are you excited to have all your family and friends together? Is the food there good, or does the menu sound good? Do you think the cost was a good deal?

I really don't think this is worth getting yourself in a tizzy unless the space, when divided, leaves you in a dark, dingy, next-to-the-dishwashers place. Def. not lawsuit-worthy. (Lawsuit comes when somebody reserves for a big gathering, gets there and the place is shut and your money is gone.)

Restaurants have a right to make money, correct? So they booked a bigger party along with yours -- at least they didn't cancel out on you. With 2 big gatherings, they might even have to bring in extra workers. They're just trying to accommodate both parties. Just because they didn't agree to keep your original location doesn't sound like bullying to me. But are there additional facts here?

I understand the refusal to move the party date. But why was your wife, too, so against moving to the back space?

I am sorry..I don't agree with you..they have the right to make money but also duty to stand by their promises..Just because they get a larger gathering does not give them a right to cancel our party. Tell me one thing, a guy rents an apt for $1000, later another rich kid comes with $2000 offer for the same apt, you think apt management have the right to make money by throwing the current one out? I don't think so.

There are no additional facts.

As I said in my first post, they "never" told us about this ****ty policy (if it existed on paper) and then when he called us, we said a big "NO".

So despite us saying no, he just moved us and didn't even informed us until we went there to drop the menu. I don't know what would you call this behavior if not bullying.

PS: No..I am not arguing with you. Please don't take it personal. I am just replying to your message. No offense meant.

Old 11-28-2011, 01:08 PM

5,759 posts, read 10,738,774 times
Ah--I realize now that this event hasn't happened yet. In that case, I would threaten to cancel and to file a chargeback for the deposit, in hopes this will motivate them to keep your party in the verbally-agreed-upon area. (If they do agree to keep your group in the front section, I'd get that in writing so they don't reneg on the day of the event.)

If you file a chargeback, you don't have to have proof--evidence and logical argument will be enough. For instance, if you can photograph the smaller area to show the card company that it is obviously too small for a group of 50, that could be enough. The times I've filed a chargeback, I think the card company realized that hardly anyone would bother doing so if they were lying; I've just been honest and reasonable about what I was requesting (e.g., a partial chargeback for a vendor who showed up late to our wedding, a partial chargeback for an improperly installed home amenity).

Also, is there a legal occupancy for the back of the hall? Normally this is from the fire marshal and is listed on a sign on a wall somewhere. If your group of 50 exceeds the capacity of the space allotted, it's illegal for them to put you there.

Last edited by Carlingtonian; 11-28-2011 at 01:42 PM.. Reason: One L in "marshal"!

Old 11-28-2011, 01:20 PM

6,571 posts, read 8,424,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TechRider View Post
(wife visited that place today during her lunch time(close by her office) and says it is not bad..it is bigger and nicer just like front part but front part is little better)

If that's the case, being shifted around wouldn't bother me at all. I'd take the back part and have a great time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia